Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-24-2014, 06:09 AM   #161
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InParadise View Post
I'm sorry to hear that Mike. The fact you know how old your dog was to the day tells me of your loss.

Thanks. Pomeranian BTW. She lived the life of riley!

Mike
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2014, 06:15 AM   #162
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
Thanks. Pomeranian BTW. She lived the life of riley!

Mike
Heh. Ours too, but he gives back so much more than he takes. I've often said that if reincarnation is a thing, I would not mind coming back as a dog if we could be the caretakers. Pooch has it pretty darned good.
InParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:17 AM   #163
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I looked at Prescott, AZ last May as a place to wind up. I am looking at SW FL this year. I may also look at a few others.

One rule I have is the place MUST be a warmer state than MN. That only rules out MN, Alaska, North Dakota and Maine...
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:59 AM   #164
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I looked at Prescott, AZ last May as a place to wind up. I am looking at SW FL this year. I may also look at a few others.

One rule I have is the place MUST be a warmer state than MN. That only rules out MN, Alaska, North Dakota and Maine...
Yes, warmth in the winter is a good thing, but so is a dependable supply of drinking water. Groundwater depletion, USGS water science Hard to tell which side of the depletion line Prescott is on the linked map.

We've bought a place that is fabulous for three seasons, but too cold for us most of the winter. We just figure we will use those three months as our travel time, exploring new areas like AZ via vacation rentals a month or so at a time, multiple locations per season. Looked at buying a small motor home, or a second home, but soon realized that if we simply kept the funds we would need to buy/furnish those things invested, we could just use the investment returns to pay for our rentals, keep the principal as insurance against a major error in expense projections, and leave the worry and maintenance to others.

I guess I should also say that we view our retirement as taking place in stages. The first 20 years should allow us to take advantage of our high outdoor activity rural home, with kayaking, hiking, biking and fishing being our focus. As we get to need more health facilities, perhaps are thinking about not driving so much, a small city looks attractive to us. Walkability will be important at that time, as well as the weather and services. Our winter travels should help us figure out where we want to go in 20 years when we need a more walkable life.
InParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:02 AM   #165

Quote:

SW Florida is beautiful except when you are trying to get out of there during hurricane season.

Mike
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:40 AM   #166
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

We liked the Prescott area. Went back later that same year, more towards fall. Both DW and I had terrible sinus issues. Stopped in local pharmacy, bought most every OTC product they had.

I asked the gal at the checkout about allergy issues there. She smiled said this is the high desert, all those little things out there are flowering about now, my allergies are bothering me too.
MRG

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:34 AM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Has anyone relocated solo, that is no spouse along or kids in the area, etc.? I sometimes have dreams of relocating in retirement but don't know if I have the energy or desire to start "all over again" as I did several times for grad school and work when younger. It is hard when you are single because there are so many things one could do and no one to negotiate with to narrow choices.
In the same boat, but to me, being single gives one the energy and options to do just that: start all over again. I love the freedom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
I'm interested in solo responses too, as my relocation would be sans spouse/kids. Thanks Marita40 for posing the question.
It's a huge country. No spouse, kids, or other obligations to tie you down or have to compromise with. The possibilities are awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by linny727 View Post
I'm on the Peninsula of the Bay Area, probably the most expensive area in California. Unfortunately I don't own where I live and I can't buy here. Just waiting until I can figure out where to go. Single, not a huge amount of money, but enough. Not used to snow or heat. Want a slower pace but with amenities like good markets and libraries. Have no clue where that is and wonder if I would move where I know no one.
What helped me was doing some research. Last year, I read a book on the top 200 places to retire in US. It divided up the country by four regions and rated the best cities there by a number of factors: crime, amenities, weather, PT jobs for retirees, health facilities, culture, etc.

My plan is to live in a some targeted locales for a few months at a time, compare, and then make the best decision. I'll buy where I finally decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Ugh, wow! Wonder what makes the crime rate so high compared with the rest of the country? Our current zip code is rated a "3."

Amethyst
Tourists have a big impact. Palm Springs, CA is both a top retirement and tourist destination, which impacts crime rates as well. I'm not concerned with crime as much as I've lived in urban cities (SF and LA) my adult life, which are higher in crime by definition. Anywhere I move will be lower in crime unless it's another urban area and there's no chance of that happening.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:59 AM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
OK, I figured something like that.

Or north of Santa Rosa or south of Morgan Hill, east of Pleasanton and so on.

Doesn't really feel like the Bay Area in some of those cases, like you're not near the amenities and such.
How about areas which are a stone throw from Sacto? I was internet researching Auburn, Lincoln, and other areas. Housing price aren't as low as I'd imagine but they are not congested (and have less crime, much less people). There could be less diversity and other issues but I think it's all depends on how much one is willing to adjust.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:08 AM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Saw an episode of House Hunters, where a young hipster couple (liked "industrial" look) was shopping for a combination business and residential property where they'd have a photo studio business -- I didn't realize photo studios still existed.

Anyways, they ended up choosing an old fire station, probably like 3-4k sq. feet, for around $150k. There was a lot of renovation work which was needed but he was going to do it himself.

I don't know the exact location but seemed like the money went pretty far.
yes I saw that episode too. It is amazing how creative people can make a dollar go further. And those building are built like the brick sh*t house, solid and durable.

(OTOH I am amazed at the young couples with a couple of kids that must have a modern kitchen with steel appliances, open concept, pool, large yard, room for family to visit, and it is their second home! Our second home was under 1400 sq.ft.)
Old 02-24-2014, 12:36 PM   #170
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
How about areas which are a stone throw from Sacto? I was internet researching Auburn, Lincoln, and other areas. Housing price aren't as low as I'd imagine but they are not congested (and have less crime, much less people). There could be less diversity and other issues but I think it's all depends on how much one is willing to adjust.
We have some friends who ERed and did exactly that. It works well for them. Given a choice of working longer or moving there, I would move there.

But I think if you main goal is to just reduce housing costs to ER, and you enjoy the Bay Area with Mediterranean climate, the Redwoods parks, scenery, proximity to airports and the coast, an abundance of parks, gardens and museums, you don't have to move quite that far away to get the same housing prices.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:59 PM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
We have some friends who ERed and did exactly that. It works well for them. Given a choice of working longer or moving there, I would move there.

But I think if you main goal is to just reduce housing costs to ER, and you enjoy the Bay Area with Mediterranean climate, the Redwoods parks, scenery, proximity to airports and the coast, an abundance of parks, gardens and museums, you don't have to move quite that far away to get the same housing prices.
I have never been there but what about Davis?
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post

Sacto area intrigued me b/c it is close to Reno/Lake Tahoe, Napa Valley, Bay Area, rivers, and mountains. I enjoy Bay area but I'd like to explore other options. And, most likely, I will rent for a while until I find the right place to retire.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:20 PM   #173

Huh, my DBL lived in Sacramento when he was working. Upon retiring, he moved to Ashland, Oregon.

The grass is always greener somewhere else I guess...
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:07 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
I have never been there but what about Davis?
I think that is a nice livable city, but we thought the housing was a bit higher than surrounding cities because of the university, and we are looking for low overhead. We want a relatively inexpensive home base and money freed up for slow travel.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #175
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Sacto area intrigued me b/c it is close to Reno/Lake Tahoe, Napa Valley, Bay Area, rivers, and mountains. I enjoy Bay area but I'd like to explore other options. And, most likely, I will rent for a while until I find the right place to retire.
I think Sacramento has a lot to offer. Less chance of earthquakes, more reasonable home prices, a large selection of newer housing, and one of the sunniest cities in the U.S. to retire:

The 10 Sunniest Places to Retire - US News

Check it out. It may be perfect for you. We thought of moving around there when we were more into river sports.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:22 PM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
What helped me was doing some research. Last year, I read a book on the top 200 places to retire in US. It divided up the country by four regions and rated the best cities there by a number of factors: crime, amenities, weather, PT jobs for retirees, health facilities, culture, etc.
Mind sharing the title of that book?
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:57 PM   #177
Recycles dryer sheets

Ordinarily, I would suggest Arizona as a great place to retire - as I have in other posts. Northern Arizona - Sedona, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon -- is some of the most beautiful scenery anywhere. However, in light of the current political situation there, I would avoid Arizona -- unless a pre-1960's segregated state is your cup 'o tea.
TimSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:10 AM   #178
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
AZ should be OK as long as they don't discriminate against old rich hetero white people. For gay-friendly, come to PV.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:44 AM   #179
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
AZ should be OK as long as they don't discriminate against old rich hetero white people. For gay-friendly, come to PV.
All the gays are in Palm Springs.....SIL bought a house there, what a surprise.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:23 AM   #180
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
We've been looking to relocate for the past few years and have decided to stay in California. We may move out to the other side of Sacramento, closer to Lake Tahoe, or we may move down to the Central Coast. We would like a slower pace of life than we're experiencing in the Bay Area, and often we just think we're ready for a change.

We may just stay put. We have lived in this house for 31 years this summer, and I think it would be very hard for me to leave all the plants I've put in over those years.

Right now we're just in "getting ready for the market" mode, putting on the finishing touches. Once that's done and we are actually market-ready, we will look and see if there's anything in either place that is worth making the move for.

Real estate is getting hot around here again, and the prices I am seeing are making my eyes bug out in disbelief. However, there is no point in selling if there is not somewhere else we'd rather be.
We live in OC, California, which we do thoroughly enjoy, however, we rented an apartment for a month in Mill Valley last spring and fell in love with Marin County. Running along the bay in the AM, then hiking in the hills in the PM, with SF slightly to the south and wine country slightly to the north? Absolute paradise for us. We could see that traffic was a burden for the Marin County communities right along the bay, but are very intrigued by the slightly more affordable inland Marin County communities of Novato and San Rafael. So far, this is the only location in the USA we've been tempted to leave OC for.
RetiredAndFree is offline   Reply With Quote