Where to move, and why?

I live in NE Florida. My uncle moved to the Villages after a 30+ year career as a Chicago cop. He was extremely active in sports and loved the weather. I work with a few middle aged men that play softball on a regular basis and are always traveling south to the Villages for weekend tournaments. They say the Villages are a non-stop party!!!!!

I also heard (and this is not coming from me) that the Villages has one of the highest STD rates in all of Florida. They REALLY love to party there! :dance:

Mike

We stayed a week in TV looking at various places. There is a ton to do, lots of rec centers and golf. A bit too organized for us and way to many rules.

Have seen those same STD stories...............

I believe they consider it a "pace of play" issue.

Exactly......and as competitive as the golf industry is in Florida each course needs to get as many players moving as quickly as they can. I feel bad for those that still want to walk and play for the exercise. Trying to walk starting at noon during most of the Florida months can get a bit warm!

Mike

To me, this sounds like H3LL on Earth. Plus, I gather, you pretty much live on top of each other, and thus can't avoid people you were stupid in front of the night before.

Amethyst

I also heard (and this is not coming from me) that the Villages has one of the highest STD rates in all of Florida. They REALLY love to party there! :dance:

Mike

Exactly......and as competitive as the golf industry is in Florida each course needs to get as many players moving as quickly as they can. I feel bad for those that still want to walk and play for the exercise. Trying to walk starting at noon during most of the Florida months can get a bit warm!

Mike

Except that study after study shows that walking is faster than carts, especially when courses limit carts to paths only. My regular foursome, all over 55 with one woman can easily play 18 holes in 3 hours - if there are no people in carts in our way.

But that isn't the perception.

Except that study after study shows that walking is faster than carts, especially when courses limit carts to paths only. My regular foursome, all over 55 with one woman can easily play 18 holes in 3 hours - if there are no people in carts in our way.

That's because the carts are all weighed down with coolers full of beer! :D

Mike

My aunt lives in the Villages and loves it. She is a lover of planned activities. She loves golfing, uses the pool a lot. Has a ton of friends.

Pretty sure I would hate it. I like to have my space and privacy and don't like planned activity. To each his/her own!

That's because the carts are all weighed down with coolers full of beer! :D

Mike

Actually, beer may be one of the biggest reasons that carts are so popular. I know a LOT of people who will not play golf without a beer at hand.

Several years ago (during the last golf boom) there was an article lamenting the drop in tennis players and contrasting it to the growth of golf. The thing the author missed was that the number of golfers walking golf courses had dropped just as precipitously as the number of tennis players. The author did not notice that the real problem seems to be that no one wants to sweat, anymore. I am sure that if someone found a way to play tennis on a scooter with a beer holder we would see a resurgence in tennis participation.

Actually, beer may be one of the biggest reasons that carts are so popular. I know a LOT of people who will not play golf without a beer at hand.

Several years ago (during the last golf boom) there was an article lamenting the drop in tennis players and contrasting it to the growth of golf. The thing the author missed was that the number of golfers walking golf courses had dropped just as precipitously as the number of tennis players. The author did not notice that the real problem seems to be that no one wants to sweat, anymore. I am sure that if someone found a way to play tennis on a scooter with a beer holder we would see a resurgence in tennis participation.

Most of the public courses around me, to include the military courses, have coolers permanently mounted to the carts! :)

Mike

The Villages is definetely geared to people that like non stop activity . I have a friend that lives there and she loves it .It would drive me bonkers .

Oh boy, "to include." Haven't seen or heard that phrase since retirement. You are/were DoD, right?:LOL:

Amethyst

Most of the public courses around me, to include the military courses, have coolers permanently mounted to the carts! :)

Mike

Path only is a different animal. Looking for lost balls (too long) is the biggest culprit IMO. i struggle that walking is faster than carts (I like walking) from my experience.

Where to move? Right now... Nowhere.
Why? It's a losing proposition. I like where I am fine (Northern IL, don't laugh...), I have everything I need (and then some), everything is paid for, and cost of living is low.
That said... Maybe some day I'll move to the Olympic Peninsula. Balance out those extreme temperatures don't cha know. I can't imagine ever moving south, mostly because of my perception of the summers. Both the dog and I hate the heat. We can tolerate the cold. Even this year. Zero is preferable to 90+ and humidity. But that's me.

Condolences from me as well. Somehow DW and I have made our marriage work despite the fact that she is a diehard Cubs fan and I grew up a Cardinals fan.

Wife is a huge Mets fan (almost as bad, but not quite). We are about 3 hours north of Port St. Lucie so we at least can see the Mets spring training games.

Mike

Path only is a different animal. Looking for lost balls (too long) is the biggest culprit IMO. i struggle that walking is faster than carts (I like walking) from my experience.

That is exactly where walking gains the most time over carts. When you hit a ball crooked and can walk directly to it without taking your eye off the spot you can find it very quickly. People in carts end up driving around in circles without really having much of an idea where the ball ended up.

Straight up, empty course, of course I could play faster out of a cart. But the reality of slow play has NOTHING whatsoever to do with the mode of transportation.

Also, I find if I play a course once, walking, I have an excellent memory of the layout and of my round. Riding, the whole experience is a blank.

The other argument I have heard is that you can be more social in a cart. This one is really a stretch for me. Four people can walk down the fairway together and have a very nice conversation. In carts, you had better like the one person you are sitting with.

Wife is a huge Mets fan (almost as bad, but not quite). We are about 3 hours north of Port St. Lucie so we at least can see the Mets spring training games.

Mike

Wife wants me to go to Arizona with her for spring training. Sounds like it could be fun but Florida would be so much easier and cheaper to get to.

Mike

Oh, it's pretty bad.

I remember a commercial with Dennis Franz sitting in the Wrigley upper deck with a beer. He looked at the camera and said "What the heck is a Met?".

Back
Top Bottom