Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-19-2014, 09:52 AM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUFUS View Post
Both the dog and I hate the heat. We can tolerate the cold. Even this year. Zero is preferable to 90+ and humidity. But that's me.
Me too. I'm enjoying the winter even more now that I'm FIREd. This year is especially nice with all the snow here in Columbus.

We have no set schedule, so if driving conditions are poor, we just stay inside. Have a nice fire. A good book. Interesting stuff on the internet. Not so bad at all.

I do enjoy a quick visit south (or west) once in a while, but I like having four real seasons. Makes life more interesting (one big reason I left California - laugh if you must, but the weather in the bay area was too boring).
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2014, 10:31 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
Actually, beer may be one of the biggest reasons that carts are so popular. I know a LOT of people who will not play golf without a beer at hand.

Several years ago (during the last golf boom) there was an article lamenting the drop in tennis players and contrasting it to the growth of golf. The thing the author missed was that the number of golfers walking golf courses had dropped just as precipitously as the number of tennis players. The author did not notice that the real problem seems to be that no one wants to sweat, anymore. I am sure that if someone found a way to play tennis on a scooter with a beer holder we would see a resurgence in tennis participation.
I've read another article on golf and it blamed cart riding on a few factors. Carts add revenue for golf courses so they promote it. In fact, it's mandatory in many courses. Newer golf courses are designed & built to fit more houses along the course. As courses become longer, it becomes less viable to walk. Then, we have new breed of golfers who think riding cart is the norm. (I wince at 20 something kids riding carts on one of executive courses I play (flat & short, and really no reason to ride cart - it's cart path only!)).
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:34 AM   #103
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUFUS
Both the dog and I hate the heat. We can tolerate the cold. Even this year. Zero is preferable to 90+ and humidity. But that's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Me too. I'm enjoying the winter even more now that I'm FIREd. This year is especially nice with all the snow here in Columbus.

We have no set schedule, so if driving conditions are poor, we just stay inside. Have a nice fire. A good book. Interesting stuff on the internet. Not so bad at all.

I do enjoy a quick visit south (or west) once in a while, but I like having four real seasons. Makes life more interesting (one big reason I left California - laugh if you must, but the weather in the bay area was too boring).
OK, let me tie together the multiple conversations going on under this thread...

Give me heat and humidity any time. That way the golf course is deserted and I can play 18 holes in two and a half hours (walking) and still have time get home and watch a Cubs game with DW.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:44 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I've read another article on golf and it blamed cart riding on a few factors. Carts add revenue for golf courses so they promote it. In fact, it's mandatory in many courses. Newer golf courses are designed & built to fit more houses along the course. As courses become longer, it becomes less viable to walk. Then, we have new breed of golfers who think riding cart is the norm. (I wince at 20 something kids riding carts on one of executive courses I play (flat & short, and really no reason to ride cart - it's cart path only!)).
Carts are a HUGE profit source for courses. I don't even mind paying the cart fee and walking. But I just don't play courses that require walking. I don't enjoy playing out of a cart so I go somewhere else. It's amazing how stating this will sometimes change a course operator's mind.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:44 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
Wife wants me to go to Arizona with her for spring training. Sounds like it could be fun but Florida would be so much easier and cheaper to get to.
The company I work for here in Jacksonville does business in Mesa Arizona with the Army. I've been trying for years to get a "freebie' to Mesa for Cubbie's spring training!

Mike
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:56 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
The company I work for here in Jacksonville does business in Mesa Arizona with the Army. I've been trying for years to get a "freebie' to Mesa for Cubbie's spring training!

Mike
Wife and daughter went to Mesa a few years back and saw six games in seven days. My daughter was in charge of getting tickets, didn't really get the "split squad" concept and had tickets to two different games in two very different places at the same time. They had a great time.

The main thing that keeps me from going is that with the games in the afternoon there is no time to do anything else that day. Can't really squeeze in golf ahead of time, can't get out of the city to do any hiking and still get back to the game. We aren't really night people so once we've had dinner what's there to do? Does Phoenix have an opera company?
Old 02-19-2014, 11:07 AM   #107
Dryer sheet aficionado

Baseball... Is that still a thing?
Golf.. That I do, but a 5-6 month season is enough for me.
DUFUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:29 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUFUS View Post
Baseball... Is that still a thing?
Golf.. That I do, but a 5-6 month season is enough for me.
For some people it is still a VERY BIG THING. DW generally goes to 12-15 Washington Nationals games every year and last year i got her MLB.COM streaming package so that she could watch essentially every Cubs game. Even with that she won't let me get rid of cable because MLB blackout rules prevent her from seeing the Nats on their streaming service so she has to watch them through cable.

I am really happy with Northern Virginia's "almost year round" golf season. I play LOTS of rounds in the 9-10 months from late February/early March through late November/early December. I can usually get out once or twice a month during the cold months. Not this year, however.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:17 PM   #109

Golf and baseball. Yawn. Let me know when this thread gets back to talking about places to live
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:22 PM   #110
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd View Post
Golf and baseball. Yawn. Let me know when this thread gets back to talking about places to live
We'll do that right away.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:25 PM   #111
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
We'll do that right away.
+1

Go out and stand on the front porch and we'll come get you...
Old 02-19-2014, 04:29 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

A different way of looking at it? I am trying to think of reasons why we *wouldn't* want to move to St. Augustine, FL. Here are the things we know about which suit us:

--No state income tax (OK, that's all of FL)
--Moderate climate (not stinky hot, not freezing cold)
--Smaller, less frantic pace of life
--Schools are said to be good

Any negatives?

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:29 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
One reason for moving that I don't recall anyone mentioning, is...

ADVENTURE!

Let's face it. Life as an old, er, retiree can get a little humdrum if we don't watch it and add a little spice now and then. What a great way to shake things up! Or maybe moving is a bit extreme as a solution to that problem. But anyway, sometimes it just sounds like FUN to move....

It also sounds like a lot of work, but probably that can be minimized with some planning and lots of downsizing.

As for where to move, I think that the internet is a big help for initial screening. Then long visits for the next cut, then renting for a few months once a destination has been identified.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:30 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

Go out and stand on the front porch and we'll come get you...
Wearing a baseball cap and driving a golf cart no doubt. I'll bring the ice chest full of beer
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:32 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Wearing a baseball cap and driving a golf cart no doubt. I'll bring the ice chest full of beer
I wore a cap today. Red Sox.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:37 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
A different way of looking at it? I am trying to think of reasons why we *wouldn't* want to move to St. Augustine, FL. Here are the things we know about which suit us:

Any negatives?

Amethyst
Honestly, St. Augustine sounds like a wonderful place to live although I have never been there and don't know what I am talking about. This is the internet, though, so I can do this. Now I am thinking I should research St. Augustine a little, because we might like it too.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:51 PM   #117

Quote:

Any negatives?

Amethyst
Although almost any place has some risk of natural disasters, they vary in the areal coverage of the disaster. Hurricanes which can affect Saint Augustine are wide area disasters, whereas for example Tornadoes are not.
One does need to be careful about flood issues also (partly related to hurricanes of course). Moving somewhat inland can minimize some of these.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:09 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
One reason for moving that I don't recall anyone mentioning, is...

ADVENTURE!

Let's face it. Life as an old, er, retiree can get a little humdrum if we don't watch it and add a little spice now and then. What a great way to shake things up! Or maybe moving is a bit extreme as a solution to that problem. But anyway, sometimes it just sounds like FUN to move....

It also sounds like a lot of work, but probably that can be minimized with some planning and lots of downsizing.

As for where to move, I think that the internet is a big help for initial screening. Then long visits for the next cut, then renting for a few months once a destination has been identified.
You didn't hear about the rampant outbreak of STD in TV? Drug (rhymes with Niagara) problems, naked people in swimming pool? Swinging clubs, a man spreading STDs to widows, two men fighting with cane over a woman, .... All these be an adventure to many here . I did some "internet" screening on these and there seems to be some evidence of truth to the story. Although, I highly doubt it is widespread or pose as real issue to TVers.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:13 PM   #119

Central Florida has 117 days of precipitation per year. That does not make it the best weather for softball or golf. For those who are familiar with central FL weather, how many days can one play golf through rain, heat, and humidity in central FL?
Old 02-19-2014, 05:14 PM   #120
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

Any negatives?

Amethyst

None that I can think of ! Reasonable distance to an airport , great beaches , beautiful town , a quick trip to savannah . I would move there in a heartbeat .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote