Where to move, and why?

Both the dog and I hate the heat. We can tolerate the cold. Even this year. Zero is preferable to 90+ and humidity. But that's me.

Me too. I'm enjoying the winter even more now that I'm FIREd. This year is especially nice with all the snow here in Columbus.

We have no set schedule, so if driving conditions are poor, we just stay inside. Have a nice fire. A good book. Interesting stuff on the internet. Not so bad at all.

I do enjoy a quick visit south (or west) once in a while, but I like having four real seasons. Makes life more interesting (one big reason I left California - laugh if you must, but the weather in the bay area was too boring).

Actually, beer may be one of the biggest reasons that carts are so popular. I know a LOT of people who will not play golf without a beer at hand.

Several years ago (during the last golf boom) there was an article lamenting the drop in tennis players and contrasting it to the growth of golf. The thing the author missed was that the number of golfers walking golf courses had dropped just as precipitously as the number of tennis players. The author did not notice that the real problem seems to be that no one wants to sweat, anymore. I am sure that if someone found a way to play tennis on a scooter with a beer holder we would see a resurgence in tennis participation.

I've read another article on golf and it blamed cart riding on a few factors. Carts add revenue for golf courses so they promote it. In fact, it's mandatory in many courses. Newer golf courses are designed & built to fit more houses along the course. As courses become longer, it becomes less viable to walk. Then, we have new breed of golfers who think riding cart is the norm. (I wince at 20 something kids riding carts on one of executive courses I play (flat & short, and really no reason to ride cart - it's cart path only!)).

quote_img.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by DUFUS
Both the dog and I hate the heat. We can tolerate the cold. Even this year. Zero is preferable to 90+ and humidity. But that's me.

Me too. I'm enjoying the winter even more now that I'm FIREd. This year is especially nice with all the snow here in Columbus.

We have no set schedule, so if driving conditions are poor, we just stay inside. Have a nice fire. A good book. Interesting stuff on the internet. Not so bad at all.

I do enjoy a quick visit south (or west) once in a while, but I like having four real seasons. Makes life more interesting (one big reason I left California - laugh if you must, but the weather in the bay area was too boring).

OK, let me tie together the multiple conversations going on under this thread...

Give me heat and humidity any time. That way the golf course is deserted and I can play 18 holes in two and a half hours (walking) and still have time get home and watch a Cubs game with DW. :)

I've read another article on golf and it blamed cart riding on a few factors. Carts add revenue for golf courses so they promote it. In fact, it's mandatory in many courses. Newer golf courses are designed & built to fit more houses along the course. As courses become longer, it becomes less viable to walk. Then, we have new breed of golfers who think riding cart is the norm. (I wince at 20 something kids riding carts on one of executive courses I play (flat & short, and really no reason to ride cart - it's cart path only!)).

Carts are a HUGE profit source for courses. I don't even mind paying the cart fee and walking. But I just don't play courses that require walking. I don't enjoy playing out of a cart so I go somewhere else. It's amazing how stating this will sometimes change a course operator's mind.

Wife wants me to go to Arizona with her for spring training. Sounds like it could be fun but Florida would be so much easier and cheaper to get to.

The company I work for here in Jacksonville does business in Mesa Arizona with the Army. I've been trying for years to get a "freebie' to Mesa for Cubbie's spring training!

Mike

The company I work for here in Jacksonville does business in Mesa Arizona with the Army. I've been trying for years to get a "freebie' to Mesa for Cubbie's spring training!

Mike

Wife and daughter went to Mesa a few years back and saw six games in seven days. My daughter was in charge of getting tickets, didn't really get the "split squad" concept and had tickets to two different games in two very different places at the same time. They had a great time.

The main thing that keeps me from going is that with the games in the afternoon there is no time to do anything else that day. Can't really squeeze in golf ahead of time, can't get out of the city to do any hiking and still get back to the game. We aren't really night people so once we've had dinner what's there to do? Does Phoenix have an opera company?

Baseball... Is that still a thing?
Golf.. That I do, but a 5-6 month season is enough for me.

Baseball... Is that still a thing?
Golf.. That I do, but a 5-6 month season is enough for me.

For some people it is still a VERY BIG THING. DW generally goes to 12-15 Washington Nationals games every year and last year i got her MLB.COM streaming package so that she could watch essentially every Cubs game. Even with that she won't let me get rid of cable because MLB blackout rules prevent her from seeing the Nats on their streaming service so she has to watch them through cable.

I am really happy with Northern Virginia's "almost year round" golf season. I play LOTS of rounds in the 9-10 months from late February/early March through late November/early December. I can usually get out once or twice a month during the cold months. Not this year, however.

Golf and baseball. Yawn. Let me know when this thread gets back to talking about places to live

A different way of looking at it? I am trying to think of reasons why we *wouldn't* want to move to St. Augustine, FL. Here are the things we know about which suit us:

--No state income tax (OK, that's all of FL)
--Moderate climate (not stinky hot, not freezing cold)
--Smaller, less frantic pace of life
--Schools are said to be good

Any negatives?

Amethyst

Golf and baseball. Yawn. Let me know when this thread gets back to talking about places to live

One reason for moving that I don't recall anyone mentioning, is...

ADVENTURE!

Let's face it. Life as an old, er, retiree can get a little humdrum if we don't watch it and add a little spice now and then. What a great way to shake things up! Or maybe moving is a bit extreme as a solution to that problem. But anyway, sometimes it just sounds like FUN to move.... :D

It also sounds like a lot of work, but probably that can be minimized with some planning and lots of downsizing.

As for where to move, I think that the internet is a big help for initial screening. Then long visits for the next cut, then renting for a few months once a destination has been identified.

Last edited:
A different way of looking at it? I am trying to think of reasons why we *wouldn't* want to move to St. Augustine, FL. Here are the things we know about which suit us:

Any negatives?

Amethyst

Honestly, St. Augustine sounds like a wonderful place to live although I have never been there and don't know what I am talking about. This is the internet, though, so I can do this. :D Now I am thinking I should research St. Augustine a little, because we might like it too.

Any negatives?

Amethyst

Although almost any place has some risk of natural disasters, they vary in the areal coverage of the disaster. Hurricanes which can affect Saint Augustine are wide area disasters, whereas for example Tornadoes are not.
One does need to be careful about flood issues also (partly related to hurricanes of course). Moving somewhat inland can minimize some of these.

One reason for moving that I don't recall anyone mentioning, is...

ADVENTURE!

Let's face it. Life as an old, er, retiree can get a little humdrum if we don't watch it and add a little spice now and then. What a great way to shake things up! Or maybe moving is a bit extreme as a solution to that problem. But anyway, sometimes it just sounds like FUN to move.... :D

It also sounds like a lot of work, but probably that can be minimized with some planning and lots of downsizing.

As for where to move, I think that the internet is a big help for initial screening. Then long visits for the next cut, then renting for a few months once a destination has been identified.

You didn't hear about the rampant outbreak of STD in TV? Drug (rhymes with Niagara) problems, naked people in swimming pool? Swinging clubs, a man spreading STDs to widows, two men fighting with cane over a woman, .... All these be an adventure to many here :D. I did some "internet" screening on these and there seems to be some evidence of truth to the story. Although, I highly doubt it is widespread or pose as real issue to TVers.

Central Florida has 117 days of precipitation per year. That does not make it the best weather for softball or golf. For those who are familiar with central FL weather, how many days can one play golf through rain, heat, and humidity in central FL?

Any negatives?

Amethyst

None that I can think of ! Reasonable distance to an airport , great beaches , beautiful town , a quick trip to savannah . I would move there in a heartbeat .

Re: St. Augustine...
Nice town... about 13,000... greater metro area is about 60,000. We have several (couples) friends from High School who live there. I like the area... old town... fort... lots of history. Decent Weather, though subject to cooler days in winter than our Leesburg home... An hour to Jacksonville, and Ormand Beach and Daytona, and about 1 1/2 hrs to Gainesville. A little more to Orlando. 2 hours to The Villages.
We like the sandy beaches further south... ala Daytona, as we love to drive on the beach, and to swim, with a little less 'drop off".
Another possibility to look at is Palm Coast, just south of St Augustine.... When we moved to FL, it wasn't even a town as I recall, and now is a booming metropolis... all new, and very nice.
We went for waterfront... and boating, so the Leesburg, Mt. Dora, Eustis and Tavares area was perfect... and is still a little less expensive than the coasts, especially if one wants to live on the waterfront. Also, a bit less "touristy".

Central Florida has 117 days of precipitation per year. That does not make it the best weather for softball or golf. For those who are familiar with central FL weather, how many days can one play golf through rain, heat, and humidity in central FL?
Florida is filled with golf communities . First pick an area you like and then a golf community . I live a few miles from where they train most of the future golfers and tennis players . IMG academy . The weather here is extremely hot during May to late Sept but I still see then golfing just not as much.

Hmmm.. that's kinda funny... while we only live there as snowbirds, don't even notice rain (usually between 4Pm and 5PM) kinda like Camelot. From September through April when we've been there... sure, we have warm days, into the low 90's, but not on a regular basis, and have never seen any of our residents not play golf...
Dunno... maybe have to talk to others who live there... we haven't felt uncomfortable, for either heat or humidity, 'cept we go to the pool in the afternoons when it gets warm...
Our experience with the weather in general is that central Florida is much less uncomfortable than on either coast.
The Summers... May through August ARE warmer, but year rounders deal with that as everything is air conditioned.

Would like to hear from anyone who does live in Central Florida, year round, to hear what they think.

I don't have a vested interest in Florida, as we'll probably end up in Illinois, permanently ... in a year or two... (old age) but for the 24 years of being snowbirds, it has been great!.

Any negatives?

Amethyst
Crime. Crime in St. Augustine, Florida

Hmmm.. that's kinda funny... while we only live there as snowbirds, don't even notice rain (usually between 4Pm and 5PM) kinda like Camelot. From September through April when we've been there... sure, we have warm days, into the low 90's, but not on a regular basis, and have never seen any of our residents not play golf...
Dunno... maybe have to talk to others who live there... we haven't felt uncomfortable, for either heat or humidity, 'cept we go to the pool in the afternoons when it gets warm...
Our experience with the weather in general is that central Florida is much less uncomfortable than on either coast.
The Summers... May through August ARE warmer, but year rounders deal with that as everything is air conditioned.

Would like to hear from anyone who does live in Central Florida, year round, to hear what they think.

I don't have a vested interest in Florida, as we'll probably end up in Illinois, permanently ... in a year or two... (old age) but for the 24 years of being snowbirds, it has been great!.

Also the rainy season is during the summer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom