Where was your Alma Mater?

BS - University of Tennessee (Knoxville)
MS - Oregon State University (Corvallis)

I knew a lot of submariners from RPI. We toured there in 2007. Nice school. Our daughter was horrified to learn that the loss of a dorm's heating system was considered an emergency. I was surprised to realize how small that town really is.

RPI had a good nuclear program and is an excellent "undergrad" engineering school, in fact it is the oldest engineering school in North America. Since it is a fairly small school it lags others in terms of grad school/research, and is not as well recognized nationally as much as in the past. As for Troy, a dying mill town, and as far as I know, not much is going on there today except for RPI and the nursing school down the hill.

1985, New York University's business school (BPA, now called Leonard N. Stern School of Business), BS in Economics. Graduated Magna Cum Laude and won the Jules Bachman award in Economics.

I think I got a good undergraduate education, but the school has moved in a different direction since I left, and I no longer support it, so I won't mention its name.
OTOH, I do actively support another undergraduate college, and I feel good about that one.

My graduate education (MA and PhD) were more "square filling" (since I did them in my spare time while on active duty), so I don't have any warm fuzzies about those schools either.

I do have a great deal of respect for those who attended the various schools of hard knocks.

I do have a great deal of respect for those who attended the various schools of hard knocks.
Thanks for your comment.

For many of us (at least for me), the desire was there, but the family/personal situation (I won't comment on "my early life challanges" on a public board) was not.

If you had the desire, ability, and support to pursue higher education, be thankful for it....

bltkmt said:
It probably still is! I am a 1985 grad - how about you?

I was 85 1/2. I graduated after the 1st quarter in 86 ( if I remember correctly )

SUNY College at Oneonta, NY - BS Physics, 1980
21 credits MSEE and MSCE courses
2 US patents

SUNY = State University of New York
I earned a full tuition scholarship by acing the NYS Regents exam, plus was awarded all sorts of federal and state FA due to my HS scholastic performance (3/99) and my Mom's extremely low income.

My signature quote is very appropos here. My Mom planted the dream, I did the w*rk to make it come true. Thanks, Mom! :flowers:

Lots of great schools and impressive degrees. This forum has so many smart people regardless of whether you were ivy league educated or from the college of hard knocks.

Lots of great schools and impressive degrees. This forum has so many smart people regardless of whether you were ivy league educated or from the college of hard knocks.

I couldn't agree with you more. I fondly remember what my Dad said when I had my sheepskin in hand, "And that and 10 cents will get you a cup of coffee".

RPI had a good nuclear program and is an excellent "undergrad" engineering school, in fact it is the oldest engineering school in North America. Since it is a fairly small school it lags others in terms of grad school/research, and is not as well recognized nationally as much as in the past. As for Troy, a dying mill town, and as far as I know, not much is going on there today except for RPI and the nursing school down the hill.

My nephew will be a junior at RPI this fall - he has enjoyed his first two years even though it has been quite challenging for him - he's working his @#$ off but a little hard work never hurt anyone. We've visited him a few times since my daughter lives nearby. Great school.

As for me, BS from Bentley College (now Bentley University) and MBA from Northeastern University.

My nephew will be a junior at RPI this fall - he has enjoyed his first two years even though it has been quite challenging for him - he's working his @#$ off but a little hard work never hurt anyone. We've visited him a few times since my daughter lives nearby. Great school.

During my early years in the AF, my best friend was an RPI grad. He was one of the most talented EEs I've ever met, so it's clear that it's a good school.

Purron said:
BS from the Naval Academy and a JD from Yale? Dang, I'm impressed!

I admit that is impressive. But I know a guy with a BS from Annapolis, did his time on the Enterprise and then got a PHD in Mech Eng from MIT. Mech Eng at PhD level takes serious intellect and then compound that with MIT. He then went on to get his CFA.

Me, I'm BSc PhD physics, Imperial College and post Doc Harvard/Smithsonian Institute.

That's quite an education. I have always been blessed to have lived with people smarter than me. A former USNA classmate and later roommate of mine got his BS from USNA, his MBA from Harvard Business School and then an MD from Cornell Medical School.

Some very impressive degrees!
BA in Religion from Trinity University in San Antonio, Graduate degree in Early Childhood Education, Texas Tech.

BSME, General Motors Institute
Flint, Michigan, 1959

The school has not been owned by GM for at least 15 years. It's name was changed then to Kettering University.

BS ('81) and MS ('83) from UC Santa Cruz. Talk about changes...they offer grades in all their classes now, and it seems that drugs are now optional!

As for me, BS from Bentley College (now Bentley University) and MBA from Northeastern University.

Heck, I had nightmares over some of those exams months after I graduated. To impress your nephew with your knowledge, you can ask him about the tute screw.

Another Gaucho - UCSB. Not on the party track, graduated with highest honors. MS from U of Illinois at shampoo-bananna (Champaigne - Urbana).

I hate to say it, but I left UCSB after my freshman year and transferred to UCR because I saw too many spoiled little rich kids cheating their way through college there. I'm sure it wasn't the majority of students, but I lived with a whole bunch of them at the Trop in IV and couldn't stomach it.

Back
Top Bottom