Where we are

dory36

Early-Retirement.org Founder, Developer of FIRECal
Based on where you are connecting from, here is where the last few hundred E-R forum (top) and FIRECalc (bottom) visitors came from. (If you are in Missoula and dial into a Kansas City ISP, you'll show up as Kansas City...)

Attachments

• er.gif
    er.gif
    37 KB · Views: 303
  • fc-map.gif
    fc-map.gif
    37.6 KB · Views: 291
  • er.gif_thumb
    18 KB · Views: 0
  • fc-map.gif_thumb
    17.7 KB · Views: 0
Hey Dory

No Missoula? Are you trying to blow my cover or hep me by hiding it?

heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh

Most cool.

Looks like bpp is accounted for, but who are the guys from PRC? 

If you look close... you can see us doing the wave.... :D

Billy
RetireEarlyLifestyle.com

What, no Mongolians are retiring early? Or do they just not have Internet connections...

They probably have to use dial-up, into a Beijing ISP.

But watch out -- everyone in Buenos Aires is planning to retire early!

At least 1/2 the country is still working to support our ER. Thank G-d.

The problem with Dory's data is that it's from Google. It doesn't measure the registered members or "quiet" visitors that have the sites bookmarked.

It shows the apparent location based on the IP address of the most recent 500 separate visitors to the forum. It doesn't separate registered users, guests, posters, lurkers, or people who came here by mistake -- although some of that information is available elsewhere in their data. 6.66% :eek: of the visitors are probably mistakes - they hit the first page and never go any further.

FWIW, the average visitor here looks at 13 pages during their visit. 66% use Internet Explorer, 26% use Firefox, 3% each use Netscape and Safari. 69% connect via cable or DSL, 11% via dialup, and 17% via corporate LANs (get back to work, you slackers, and pay in to my social security!).

The data also tries to track 1st time visitors versus returning visitors, but since every visit shows as a new visitor when the tracking first started (a couple of days ago), it will take a couple of weeks before this ratio is useful.

dory36 said:
It shows the apparent location based on the IP address of the most recent 500 separate visitors to the forum.

So, you are saying it tracks people that "open" the sites and not just the ones routed through Google?

Probably takes your source IP address, which you can convert to a source ISP and approximate location. Usually down to a city or town. Sometimes far finer than that.

Unless you're using a proxy server, either personal or corporate. Some businesses route all their internal traffic to a central proxy, so while you work in SF, you might "appear" to be coming from NYC.

Right. But my mention of Google is probably incorrect and certainly misleading. I'll edit that out after I post this.

All servers track the IP addresses from which visits come (as well as the other info I mentioned above),.

Google provided a way to get the data displayed in a map.

Cute n Fuzzy Bun'ny said:
Some businesses route all their internal traffic to a central proxy, so while you work in SF, you might "appear" to be coming from NYC.
Well, that probably shows the reason why Sweden is on the map. I live in NE U.S. but corporate is in Sweden.

- Ron

My geography may be off but is someone trying to ER in Cuba? :LOL:

Arif said:
My geography may be off but is someone trying to ER in Cuba?  :LOL:
Just as soon as the hacker figures out how to access Dory's PayPal link...

hey, it's getting hot down here in lauderdale. can i move my dot to toronto for the summer?

lazygood4nothinbum said:
hey, it's getting hot down here in lauderdale. can i move my dot to toronto for the summer?
We aim to please. I'm rusty about Canadian geography, but I moved you near another E-R so you'd have company. I suspect it will be cooler there.

Attachments

• er-fl-can.gif
    er-fl-can.gif
    38.1 KB · Views: 177
Looks like I get the "farthest north" award.....at least until the construction season is over.

bosco said:
Looks like I get the "farthest north" award.....at least until the construction season is over.

Wow. Is that just south of the Brooks Range, on Kotzebue Sound?

Ha

HaHa said:
Wow. Is that just south of the Brooks Range, on Kotzebue Sound?

Ha

yep, Kotzebue

The sea ice finally broke up Memorial day weekend. Still ice going by from the rivers.

bosco said:
yep, Kotzebue

The sea ice finally broke up Memorial day weekend.  Still ice going by from the rivers.

And here I am feeling sorry for myself with this Puget Sound June weather.  :)

Ha

Arif said:
My geography may be off but is someone trying to ER in Cuba?  :LOL:

I think you are seeing a dot on the island of Espanola (split between Haiti and...Dominican Republic?).

dory36 said:
We aim to please. I'm rusty about Canadian geography, but I moved you near another E-R so you'd have company. I suspect it will be cooler there.

very funny. & clever too.

just stepped in from a few hours of gardening. dripping wet. completely redoing the front of the house from pine to a hedge of mostly buddha belly bamboo with some hawaiian golden & sunburst yellow bamboo accents.

six pm and it's already cooled down to 87 degrees. can you make that dot move any faster or can one of those alaskan dots send down a cold front:confused:

ps. that's very far north. i'm assuming the other er'er is my size and has clothing to share. all i gots is bathing suits and t-shirts.

Back
Top Bottom