Join Early Retirement Today
Old 08-08-2014, 11:17 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
I was 14 yrs old and on vacation with my parents. We were staying at a quaint little guest house in Gloucester MA run by a couple of prim and proper little old ladies, and we watched the resignation on the tv in their living room -- ordinarily the guests didn't have had access to their tv, but the ladies made an exception in this instance.

I most distinctly remember the little old ladies gasping in horror, my father trying -- not very successfully -- to not chuckle out loud (iirc he wasn't much of a Nixon fan), and my mother glaring at him out of the little old ladies' view. Dad did manage to hold his outright guffaws until after we left the house to go out for a walk. I'm pretty sure that walk was Mom's idea.

Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.
I was on an oceanographic vessel off the coast of South America trying to figure out what was going on from static filled shortwave broadcasts. We really didn't know what was happening. Things seemed to be chaotic. Did he resign? not resign? were there riots, were things stable? Remember these were pretty turbulent times, market falling, oil embargo, abolishing convertibility of dollar to gold, wage and price controls, political polarization (I think even more than today). So we really were worried if there would be a peaceful transition of power since this kind of transfer had never happened before. No sat phones back then, just some small short wave radios set out on the deck, with a lot of worried people sitting around trying to figure out what was happening and what kind of country we would be returning to. BTW, we had just been in Valparaiso, Chile not long before. Where we had to walk past 50 caliber sand bagged machine gun emplacements to get to our ship, and talking to fearful Chilean oceanographers who would not dare talk about the situation, only that some of their friends had disappeared. We could see they were afraid for their lives. And now the president of the U.S. was resigning, possibly unstable, controlling nuclear weapons, and for those critical hours all we had were those damn shortwave radios.

Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is but a dream.
CaliforniaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:37 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was 14 and don't remember, guess I watched the speech during dinner in California (we always are at the same time each day). My boyfriend at the time (still friends) was in DC visiting family. He told me he went to Ford's inauguration. I was jealous.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:37 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
we had just been in Valparaiso, Chile not long before. Where we had to walk past 50 caliber sand bagged machine gun emplacements to get to our ship
Ah, those were the days!
I remember the same situation in downtown Buenos Aires a year or two later.
braumeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:07 PM   #25
I was 12. I don't have specific memories of my reaction/where I was for the resignation - but I do remember my mom being GLUED to the tv that summer during the hearings. We had a tv-cart that we'd roll from the living room, to the kitchen area... so where-ever she was, downstairs, she had the tv in the room with her with the hearings going.

I think I was annoyed because I wanted to watch Gilligan's Island and couldn't get her to share the tv.

The Nixon hearings/resignation was also the start of the political rift between my parents. They had both been Republican... my dad was pretty disgusted by Watergate and shifted to Democrat - my mom was Republican till the end. I like to joke I was raised in a mixed household. LOL.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:10 PM   #26
I was preparing to attend my junior year in college. By the time it happened, the actual resignation seemed anti-climactic. After I was muttering bad words as Nixon waved at the helicopter one last time, the thing I was impressed with was the seemingly finality of the helicopter leaving. I'm in the minority then and now, in that I wanted a prosecution, as unwieldy as that would have been. I think it would have helped heal the cultural divide that has lasted to this day since the Vietnam war.
"The natural inclination of every boat everywhere is to sink".......Nicole Pasulka
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:11 PM   #27
I was probably headed home from high school two-a-day football practice.
jjquantz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:15 PM   #28
I remember sitting on the couch polishing my shoes getting ready for work (must have been a midnight shift) at my roommate's house (his house, I rented a room for a year). He, a staunch Nixon supporter, was shall we say irritated that I held a contrary view.
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:25 PM   #29
No idea, though I can vaguely remember watching some of the hearings on our B&W TV back when I was 12.

The only two "seared into my memory" events I recall are 9/11 and the Challenger disaster.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #30
I was probably at the babysitter; mom was a nurse at local hospital.
splitwdw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #31
I remember Kennedy (amazingly as I was 5), Moon, Challenger, 9/11, but not Nixon.

That summer I was either working as a dock boy at a fishing resort (accessable only by boat) that had one TV that got one super snowy station (it was almost never turned on). Or I could have been paddling Superior Quetico national park (zero access to news). Either way, I think it was just an "oh", when someone told me, and I went on ignoring politics.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #32
I remember watching the news on the morning he left the WH for the last time. I was only 11 at the time. I also remember my grandpa watching the Watergate hearing the summer before when I was on vacation in Florida.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:32 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets
Can't remember where I was, but I had to be laughing. Sorry, but I hated that guy back when he ran for POTUS in 1960, and always told everyone he was a crook. Was nice to be right for once. Was so devoted to the cause, drove home from college in 1968 to vote for Humphrey.
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:33 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...
That summer I finished secondary school, turned 17, and worked at my first summer job, which was 9 to 5 in an office. As I was in a different time zone (GMT), I would have been fast asleep at the time of Nixon's speech, but of course the Watergate investigation and its aftermath were all over the media and I purchased Woodward and Bernstein's book "All the President's men" as soon as it was published later that year.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:38 PM   #35
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I was in grad school full time, and also working full time at night. August 8, 1974 would have been a Thursday so I was at work and probably didn't even hear about it until later.

Honestly, that whole year was a blur.
Senior year of college for me, 6 PM on a thursday so I was working in the kitchen. The biggest thing on my mind would have been making sure I got dinner.

Oh, and +1 about the year being a blur.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:36 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets
Enjoying life @ sunset pier
springnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:10 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...
Probably dropping a load in my pants.
"Neither my companion or I carry firearms on our persons. We depend on the goodwill of our fellow man and the forbearance of reptiles."

- English Bob
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:18 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets
Let's see. I was 17. It was summer, so school was out. I was working two jobs that summer. My regular job was 4-10 p.m. as a cook in a restaurant for at least 30 hours/week (no OT). My summer job was 6 a.m.-noon at an ice cream plant for at least 30 hours/week. 8/8/74 was a Thursday, so I was home with my parents watching it on the TV because Thursday was one of my nights off at the restaurant.
latexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:26 PM   #39
I can' be sure, but I seem to recall wanting to watch a movie on TV that night which was pre-empted. I believe they were going to broadcast The Michael York as D'artagnan, Raquel Welch version of The Three Musketeers on CBS that night and I was really disappointed to not get to see it again recalling that I liked it in the theater a lot.

I was fine with Nixon going, never was a fan and what little I had heard and read seemed to indicate he was pretty crooked.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:04 PM   #40
I was 18, probably had gone out with friends after work. I don't remember much about it, but I wasn't surprised that he resigned.

Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote