Join Early Retirement Today

Where were you when Nixon resigned?
Old 08-08-2014, 08:08 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Where were you when Nixon resigned?

When Nixon resigned 40 years ago today, my family was vacationing in Door County. My mom and I had been following the hearings all summer. Our vaca rental had a tiny black and white tv. We all huddled around it, agog, to watch his resignation speech.

Where were you? What do you remember thinking or feeling?
footenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2014, 08:24 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We were at a concert, Mannford Mann, Queen, and Uriah Heap.

They broke for a short intermission. The crowd was very happy to hear the news. Not sure how many really understood, but there was a very stong positve reaction.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:37 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Ran out of gas on the New Jersey turnpike by Raritan. Two hippies in VW stopped to help unsolicited.
They went and got the can and the gas. They would not take any money, said "It was a great day in America, Nixon resigned".
jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:38 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I was in the Army at Ft. Bragg. Obviously like everyone had been following the whole thing for months. Looking back, I personally think that might have been one of our finest hours as a nation. Constitutional government worked, no coup, no fuss, no mess. The President stepped down, the VP took over and that was that.
But those whom the Truth would indict."

Robert Burns
poorcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:44 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

poorcarver - Strongly agree that it was one of our finest hours as the transition went very smoothly. (Thank goodness Spiro Agnew wasn't still the Veep!)
footenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:53 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

We were on our way to a Pink Floyd movie and watched the resignation right before we left the apartment. I remember going to that movie only because of watching the resignation that evening. What a culmination of the previous ten years.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:02 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I saw the news in a bar in East Lansing, Michigan. The locals were astounded that Gerald Ford was going to be president...
Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:07 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I was working as an Industrial Engineer at that time, so I was probably at work.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:15 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I was still in grade school. I remember the teachers huddling the kids into the classroom to watch the Watergate hearings (on a black and white tv of course) saying this is a big part of history and me thinking (great, don't have to attend regular classes).
Old 08-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I was working as an Industrial Engineer at that time, so I was probably at work.
You must have been working overtime? His speech announcing his resignation was at 9 pm edt.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:22 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Unlike some more notable events like JFK assassination, lunar landing, and the space shuttle disasters I don't have a specific recollection but I'm sure I was at our family's summer home since we spent each summer there.

And I agree that the peaceful transition of power was one of our finest moments.

I recall the hullabaloo about President Ford pardoning President Nixon. Even though it was unpopular and likely caused him to lose re-election, in retrospect it was wise and enabled the country to move on and put Nixon and Watergate in the rear view mirror.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:38 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
You must have been working overtime? His speech announcing his resignation was at 9 pm edt.
Well, that's the best I can do since I can't remember. Realistically, I was probably out with my buddies drinking beer at 9 PM back then.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:18 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

With some buddy's down by the river fishing and drinking Boone's Farm. No celebration or feeling of anything special. Later I realized how enlightened we were that we knew they're all a bunch of crooks anyway.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:19 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I was in grad school full time, and also working full time at night. August 8, 1974 would have been a Thursday so I was at work and probably didn't even hear about it until later.

Honestly, that whole year was a blur.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I was a few months into a 6 month, one lap of America, trip around the US in a converted Econoline camper.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thirteen at the time and remember watching on the old B&W Ford Philco with my parents. The importance of the success of the democratic process was lost on me at the time but agree that it was in many ways a great thing. How utterly stupid. Seems to have set the stage for much of the politics to this day.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Wow... That was, like, the 70s, right?

I don't remember.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #18

Maxwell AFB in Alabama, attending a military education program. Gathered around the TV with some classmates. We all marveled at how appropriate it was, and we gave RMN high marks for having the courage to do what he did. Made no difference what we thought of him or his presidency; we just admired the act of resignation and how smooth it seemed to be.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:02 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Well, that's the best I can do since I can't remember. Realistically, I was probably out with my buddies drinking beer at 9 PM back then.
We waited til after the resignation and the movie to drink
Old 08-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I was in my playpen, probably.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote