Where you were employed pics

Well, one of these pictures almost put me into a convulsion; it was a terrible place to be. The other place was usually an absolute blast but the last couple of years, the time spent in the "good place" was minimal.

Attachments

• office.jpg
    office.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 20140717_124304.jpg
    20140717_124304.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 21
Luv the garbage on the street... haven't been north in a while but I'm guessing nothing changes...

https://www.google.com/search?q=pic...=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=3bpwtg3ItJUVUM:

Not a great shot but I worked right next door... we also had a birds eye view of the heliport. I remember that wind coming off the water...in the winter that place was cold

This is a modern cleaned up photo,Hahha. When I was there, we had burned out buildings on the block, the term urban plight was a compliment to the area.

I remember reading a story, oh, about 15 years ago, from a cab driver who loved his job and called office buildings "coffins."

He had a point.

Next step up from a cab is a cockpit, of course. Same idea, different training and class. But away from the dreaded cube/office!

I remember reading a story, oh, about 15 years ago, from a cab driver who loved his job and called office buildings "coffins."

He had a point...<snip>

But away from the dreaded cube/office!

That's one of the things that attracted me to police work. At 22 I hated the idea of working in the same office every day doing what I thought would be the same thing. By age 40 an office job was starting to look pretty good.

Next step up from a cab is a cockpit, of course. Same idea, different training and class. But away from the dreaded cube/office!

Very true. If I *had* to w*rk, doing it in a plane was the way to go. However, living out of a bag and globetrotting to hotels all over hell's half acre gets old after a while.

Very true. If I *had* to w*rk, doing it in a plane was the way to go. However, living out of a bag and globetrotting to hotels all over hell's half acre gets old after a while.

+1

Even though my last assignment was as a desk jockey with no travel involved, I spent 3 of the 8 years I was in military aviation "on the road." It did indeed get old.

So, to summarize, no matter what your office looks like, do it long enough and it gets old.

On to retirement!

:)

35752403612_991e6a091c_z.jpg

The concrete tower where I last w*rked. We were an urban university, so expansion was constrained. Instead, we leased office space off-campus for non-student-facing employees. This was originally one of the buildings in the Christian Science complex.

Last edited:
Meck2.jpg

Meck Island. 17 miles up the east reef of Kwajalein Atoll. A lot of missile defense testing takes place here; I worked in the big concrete building with the slanted sides, the Meck Island Control Building (MICB), because all defense buildings should be known as an acronym, from 2001 to 2004.

I have lots of friends who've worked on Kwaj.

A Sampling

Some of the places I worked. Pretty interesting, thinking back on it. :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0094.jpg
    IMG_0094.jpg
    520.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0092.JPG
    IMG_0092.JPG
    301.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0096.GIF
    IMG_0096.GIF
    249.4 KB · Views: 20
I have lots of friends who've worked on Kwaj.

It's really interesting who you run into who's spent time there. We have a long-time resident in our neighborhood who has a vanity auto plate, "KWAJ". Didn't know what that meant 'till we got back...

I recently flew home from a business trip, went to my seat and found my seatmate to be one of the pilots who flew the Continental "milk run" from Hawaii to Guam and back, stopped at the Micronesian islands along the way, including Kwajalein.

I've met Kwajjers standing in line, overheard Kwaj stories sitting in waiting rooms. It's almost as connected as Kevin Bacon... :D

Back
Top Bottom