Where's the Plastic?

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Well, I went ahead and bought myself a present yesterday.

Namely, a compact 19.2v Craftsman drill/driver kit from Sears.

17310 19.2-volt C3 Compact Lithium-Ion Cordless Compact Drill-Driver- Craftsman-Tools-Portable Power Tools-Drills

It's a really nice drill. Has enough power, yet about half as heavy as a bigger drill that I own.

The only disappointment is the now trend of the cloth carry bag instead of the old-time hard molded cases. In a world where everything else seems to be made with plastic, it's a shame that tool cases now usually come with cloth cases which don't hold the tools, charger, batteries in place as well. :blush:

I hope you like it. I own a lot of these Craftsman 19.2 V tools--Sears seems to be sticking by this product (haven't abandoned it for a different voltage, they make LIon batteries that work fine in the old NiCd tools, etc). It's funny that you mention the case, as I just got rid of a bunch of them. I usually buy these tools in the multi-packs (circular saw, drill, recip saw, etc) when they are on sale, and the cases are just too bulky and inconvenient for me (better to keep the tools hanging up on the wall). Of course, everyone is different.

Regardless of what you've been told, don't leave the battery in the charger once it's fully charged. It will eventually go bad if you do.

Nice present, I hope you have lots of projects in mind to use it.

Looks like. DW just got a Dewalt and it had one of those plastic bags that you just dump stuff in. As you noted, molded cases are a thing of the past.

I hope you like it. I own a lot of these Craftsman 19.2 V tools--Sears seems to be sticking by this product (haven't abandoned it for a different voltage, they make LIon batteries that work fine in the old NiCd tools, etc). It's funny that you mention the case, as I just got rid of a bunch of them. I usually buy these tools in the multi-packs (circular saw, drill, recip saw, etc) when they are on sale, and the cases are just too bulky and inconvenient for me (better to keep the tools hanging up on the wall). Of course, everyone is different.

Regardless of what you've been told, don't leave the battery in the charger once it's fully charged. It will eventually go bad if you do.

I decided to get this Craftsman. I also have a Ryobi Hammer Drill which is decent, but I like this one more. The one I got is not a Hammer Drill, but for that I have a larger Craftsman drill which is a hammer one (weighs with battery, about 11 lbs vs about 5 lbs for this one).

I'm planning on selling my Ryobi on ebay.

As for the case, I decided to just hang the charger on a shelf. For the tool and battery, I found a small DVD bag which works better than the Craftsman bag.

Well, I went ahead and bought myself a present yesterday.

Namely, a compact 19.2v Craftsman drill/driver kit from Sears.

17310 19.2-volt C3 Compact Lithium-Ion Cordless Compact Drill-Driver- Craftsman-Tools-Portable Power Tools-Drills

It's a really nice drill. Has enough power, yet about half as heavy as a bigger drill that I own.

The only disappointment is the now trend of the cloth carry bag instead of the old-time hard molded cases. In a world where everything else seems to be made with plastic, it's a shame that tool cases now usually come with cloth cases which don't hold the tools, charger, batteries in place as well. :blush:
The molded hinges and latches have eventually failed on every Craftsman hard molded tool case that I've owned. Then, I have to place a strap around the case.

I have had a Stihl chainsaw plastic case with REAL hinges and latches for over 30 years and it is Stihl in good shape. However, the new Stihl chainsaw cases have the molded hinges and latches which fail just like the Craftsman cases.

I still have my first battery powered drill, a Mikata, which I think is almost 25 yo and it came with a metal case

Last edited:
I bought one of those 200+ mechanic tool sets in a plastic case.... and the case would not hold the tools.... took it back for another... which they gave me.... the guy said 'I am surprised as that is not covered under our Craftsman warranty'....

The second one also does not hold the tools..... since, they have gone to a tool box.... I have tried to get one, but they do not sell one that fits the tools :mad:

I have the Dewalt tools... they seem to work just fine for me... I do have an issue with the prices of the batteries.... but since I got the tools from my BIL, I can not complain....

Edit to add.... I decided to look and they now offer the tool storage kit... paid $33 for it.... hope it is OK...

Last edited:
I found a portable DVD case that almost perfectly fits my new drill with battery.

For frame of reference, my larger hammer drill is on the left.

Attachments

• drill.jpg
    drill.jpg
    517.6 KB · Views: 12
The molded hinges and latches have eventually failed on every Craftsman hard molded tool case that I've owned. Then, I have to place a strap around the case.

I have had a Stihl chainsaw plastic case with REAL hinges and latches for over 30 years and it is Stihl in good shape. However, the new Stihl chainsaw cases have the molded hinges and latches which fail just like the Craftsman cases.

When I bought a Craftsman cordless 7 1/4" circular saw, there was no case. Only the cardboard box. so I ended up having to improvise and break the saw in by buying wood and making my own box with a nice beefy handle.

My DH also bought a great cordless drill from Sears a few years ago. He loves it. I do too. We've used that thing for so many projects! One piece of advice from the great Matt Groening of Simpsons fame...

Attachments

• drill.jpg
    drill.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 6
My DH also bought a great cordless drill from Sears a few years ago. He loves it. I do too. We've used that thing for so many projects! One piece of advice from the great Matt Groening of Simpsons fame...

How very true. The same goes for being too tired too. Better to drill another day than take that chance.

Tired of buying batteries for the 18v Ryobi ... will switch to Dewalt before I buy another battery.

Problem is I drop the thing half a dozen times a year ... often from a ladder. I really like the disposable "cheap" versions.

Tired of buying batteries for the 18v Ryobi ... will switch to Dewalt before I buy another battery. The Diehard nicads that came with a kit seems to last a lot longer than the 18v Ryobi nicads.

Problem is I drop the thing half a dozen times a year ... often from a ladder. I really like the disposable "cheap" versions.

Mostly, what I have runs of Craftsman diehard batteries. I'm thinking of sticking to this battery line for most tools.

But still have some things that use Ryobi such as a portable fan, and mitre saw (no craftsman equivalent for this).

I like shopping at Home Depot more than Sears.

Two battery lines are enough for me, more than that, it starts to get confusing and cumbersome :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom