Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-20-2010, 05:13 PM   #221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Color? Bells? Whistles? We need details!

Congratulations!!!

White with gray interior , Moonroof , Upgraded stereo , upgraded wheels , mats & some other little add ons . The Ex version basically came with everything I wanted so I didn't have to have the add on sticker shock . It was sad to leave my old car with strangers we had been together for eleven years but it was time .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2010, 05:52 PM   #222
Administrator

Congratulations!! It sounds like a wonderful SUV and I think you will be very happy with it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:54 PM   #223
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
OK...but we want to see the real deal tomorrow.
Yes, we want photos!!!

And Meadbh, I just adore my Venza, it's true. I hope you enjoy your test drive.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-20-2010, 05:56 PM   #224
Give me a forum ...

Congrats on your new wheels Moe!
Hmmm, are ya gonna try one of these now?-------->
Old 08-20-2010, 06:17 PM   #225
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I love the looks of that car but unfortanetly a two seater is impractical for me . I did have two seaters when I was younger ( pre kids and now grandkids & elderly Mom & large SO)
The nice thing about the Miata is that there are lots of aftermarket kits. It's easy to add a child seat so Junior can come along on track days:

Old 08-20-2010, 06:26 PM   #226
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well after multiple car test drives and endless research I broke the indecisiveness and bought a Honda CRV EX today . It fits my lifestyle and I like the size ( Not too small ,Not too large ) .I kept on coming back to that car so I made the plunge . Plus all the recommendations from board members gave me the push I needed . Thanks everybody !
Congrats Moemg! It's a great looking car. Someone is going to turn heads!
Old 08-20-2010, 06:39 PM   #227
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
OK...but we want to see the real deal tomorrow.
Okay ,here it is !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (459.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 08-20-2010, 06:42 PM   #228
Moderator Emeritus

Gorgeous! Big enough for a couple of car seats, small enough to be sleek and stylish and speedy.

I am jealous!
Old 08-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #229
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Gorgeous! Big enough for a couple of car seats, small enough to be sleek and stylish and speedy.

I am jealous!

Thanks this was a fun thread but now I have to turn the car buying selection over to Meadh .
Old 08-20-2010, 06:53 PM   #230
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks this was a fun thread but now I have to turn the car buying selection over to Meadh .
No no no!! We want more photos. Well, if you have the time and inclination. BTW it is indeed gorgeous. The sunroof is a great feature.

Meanwhile Meadbh can tell us about her test drives and buying selection which we want to hear about, too.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-20-2010, 07:09 PM   #231
Give me a forum ...

Congrats, Moe!

You probably already know that the CRV is one of the few cars that can be flat-towed even for the automatic transmission model. It is indeed a popular choice as a toad for RV'ers.

Now, are you going to look for an RV next? You will start a thread called "Which RV", won't you? It's going to be a hit!
Old 08-20-2010, 07:10 PM   #232
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrat's, that's the one I would have bought, even down to the color. Only problem is my right knee hit the shifter, so I have a new Camry, good enough!
Old 08-20-2010, 07:34 PM   #233

Quote:
Well after multiple car test drives and endless research I broke the indecisiveness and bought a Honda CRV EX today . It fits my lifestyle and I like the size ( Not too small ,Not too large ) .I kept on coming back to that car so I made the plunge . Plus all the recommendations from board members gave me the push I needed . Thanks everybody !
Looks like that's the direction we're headed unless at the last minute we go for the GMC Terrain.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:44 PM   #234
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Looks like that's the direction we're headed unless at the last minute we go for the GMC Terrain.
The CRV was one of my favorites too! It sounds like a terrific vehicle and IMO is an excellent choice. It was between the CRV and the Venza for me and either would have been fine.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-20-2010, 08:05 PM   #235

Congratulations Moemg, that's a beautiful new SUV! I hope you just love driving it. A new car is a wonderful thing.

I'm starting to think about new vehicles and usually spend a couple years looking and researching before deciding. In January I went to the auto show and looked and test sat in alot of cars and really was not enamored with any of them. Currently have a 99 Camry with ~100k miles and a 96 Dakota with ~70k miles and both are running fine. There is just that desire for some new wheels every once in awhile
Old 08-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
The CRV was one of my favorites too! It sounds like a terrific vehicle and IMO is an excellent choice. It was between the CRV and the Venza for me and either would have been fine.
W2R, without checking, I thought the Venza was more of a mini van and that is why we would shy away from it.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:23 PM   #237
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
Congratulations Moemg, that's a beautiful new SUV! I hope you just love driving it. A new car is a wonderful thing.

I'm starting to think about new vehicles and usually spend a couple years looking and researching before deciding. In January I went to the auto show and looked and test sat in alot of cars and really was not enamored with any of them. Currently have a 99 Camry with ~100k miles and a 96 Dakota with ~70k miles and both are running fine. There is just that desire for some new wheels every once in awhile

Thank you ! That was our plight both our cars were getting old but running fine . I was getting nervous with long trips . My Camry Solara also had 100,000 miles on and our Durango is a gas guzzler that my SO just loves . I recently started taking care of my 94 year old Mom every other month so the coupe was no longer practical . After car shopping I remembered why I only do it every ten years or so . They should start serving wine & cheese in the showrooms . I bet it would really increase the sales .
Old 08-20-2010, 10:36 PM   #238
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
W2R, without checking, I thought the Venza was more of a mini van and that is why we would shy away from it.
Frank thinks it is very similar to his Murano in size. I think it's just a little bit smaller.

The review at Edmunds.com describes it thus:
Quote:
The 2010 Toyota Venza blends the attributes of a crossover SUV with those of a wagon, resulting in a pleasantly useful form of family transportation.
Pros
Spacious interior, powerful and efficient engines, pleasant driving demeanor, comfy ride, innovative interior storage, strong crash-test scores.
Cons
No third-row seat.
The best part about that review, that really caught my interest in the Venza, was this sentence:
Quote:
Though it may be hard to define, the 2010 Toyota Venza hits an appealing sweet spot between midsize family sedan and crossover SUV.
It handles like my Solara, but has a lot of cargo space that the Solara just didn't have.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-21-2010, 02:57 PM   #239
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It is indeed a popular choice as a toad for RV'ers.

Now, are you going to look for an RV next? You will start a thread called "Which RV", won't you? It's going to be a hit!

No need for an RV . I can just get this accesory for my CRV !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TENT_mid.jpg (70.4 KB, 66 views)
Old 08-21-2010, 03:14 PM   #240
Give me a forum ...

I love Moe's new wheels!

OK, here's my review of the Venza. I test drove two of them this morning. The first was a V4AWD in Bronze Mica with ivory interior (love the colour scheme!). The second was a V6AWD with the navigation and upgraded electronics package. That one was silver with a pale grey interior (colours too dull for me).

I decided to try the Venza because of W2R's input, and because I felt it was a good comparison with my favourite so far, the Honda Accord Crosstour EXL Navi. I've also read the independent studies that suggest that the accelerator problem in Toyota's cannot be replicated. Apparently the "black box" data in the cars suggest that the drivers were not braking at the time. Anyhow....

First, I rapidly discovered that the 4 cylinder is no comparison for the "oomph" of the aforesaid Crosstour model. And while the V4 Venza has a rear camera, it is in the upper dashboard and so small as to be practically useless. However......the rear window does not have a bar across the back, and visibility through the rear view mirror is much better than on the Crosstour.

So, onto the Venza V6 AWD. This is a very nice car to drive, with good power, visibility and comfort. It feels heavier than the Crosstour (must check the specs). The dashboard is quite ergonomic, although I didn't like the fact that my right hand accidentally hit the gear lever a few times. There is a lot of fake wood. The finish (leather) is almost as good as, but not quite up to, the standard of the Crosstour, IMHO. But it's pretty nice. Seats are comfortable and supportive, including the back seats. A very nice feature is that there are two sunroofs. The back one doesn't open but it provides increased natural light for the passengers (good for us Vitamin D deficient Canadians!). There is heaps of space in the back and it is well organized, though the removable containers found in the Crosstour are not in the Venza. Seats split to fold down. The V6AWD has a navigation system and the rear view camera in the larger screen on the main dash and this makes the camera very effective. This feature is similar to that in the Crosstour. Both are a little higher on entry than a sedan, and have the same front visibility. Rear visibility is better in the Venza, but the Crosstour is a bit sportier looking. I will need to check the ground clearance as it appeared to me that the front of the Venza was very close to the curb. On the V6AWD, there's a push button start, like the Prius. (The base model has a regular key).

I like this car a lot. The Venza and the Crosstour are well matched competitors for people who want a very comfortable car for long distance driving and hauling people and stuff. As for customer service at the dealership, I was treated far better at Honda, where the salesman photoccopied my licence and spent an hour test driving with me, than at Toyota, where I was repeatedly made to wait, and was (to my surprise) allowed to take both cars out on my own. I proferred my licence for inspection but wasn't asked for it. Granted, Toyota was very, very busy, but this did not impress me. Currently, Toyota has better finance rates.

If I had to make a decision today, I would probably choose the Venza V6AWD if it was available in a colour of my choice. However, I am going to sit tight for a while as I am waiting for news that would make the new car purchase essential. If it happens, I will probably test drive the two finalists one more time. If I don't get that news, I will keep my current vehicle until it goes to the great car heaven in the sky.

This has been a very useful and fun thread! Thanks to everyone who has contributed. I'll keep y'all posted.....