Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #241
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you have a garage, check the height of the hatch on the Crosstour. I hear it's very high, perhaps too high for some garages, though since garage door heights are pretty standard, I find that hard to believe. It also has a lot bigger footprint than you'd think. I think it is either longer or wider or both than my Pilot.

If I had to replace my Pilot today, I'd probably be taking a close look at a Lexus RX 350 and try to limit the expensive options.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2010, 03:34 PM   #242
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
No need for an RV . I can just get this accesory for my CRV !
No, I doubt that you will do that. I still remember your posted comment on T-Al's thread, when he told of finding a moose right outside his tent one morning.

And not to scare anyone here, but there was a recent story of campers sleeping in tents getting fatally attacked by grizzly bears. It was at Yellowstone NP, if my memory serves.

Yes, I will try to enjoy nature, but in the comfort of my RV, thank you.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:56 PM   #243
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a '99 Honda CRV w/ 112k miles and no signs of quitting. I love it and plan to drive it into the ground. When it is done, I will likely buy another CRV as I like its combination reliability and functionality for me.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:13 PM   #244
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Okay ,here it is !
It doesn't look a think like the model in the picture which you posted yesterday, though. I'm glad, because if the CRV had been as good-looking as your pic from yesterday, I might have bought it. The price and the window shape (irrational, I know) was what turned me from the Honda to the Toyota (and finally the Hyundai.

I like the colour, though. There seems to be quite a vogue for small SUVs in white right now.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #245

I love your new car, Moemg! It seems to be the perfect all around car for just about any activity that one could imagine. I understand that white has been the hot color for the last five years or so. And for FL, a light car is the wise choice. I have one white car and one silver so it seems I am au courant in the color department (about the only thing I am up to date on, otherwise I am hopelessly stuck in the Dark Ages).
Old 08-21-2010, 05:48 PM   #246
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by caninelover View Post
I have a '99 Honda CRV w/ 112k miles and no signs of quitting. I love it and plan to drive it into the ground. When it is done, I will likely buy another CRV as I like its combination reliability and functionality for me.
They do make cars better than before. Not just the CRV, but many cars will last 150K or 200K, requiring just some routine part replacements like timing belts, spark plugs, alternators, or AC compressors.

There's one thing about the CRVs of the years 1997-2001 that I like to mention. On the Web, I saw that many owners reported that the valve lash had to be adjusted a lot sooner than the 105K miles that Honda recommended. On some cars, the valves somehow receded into the head, and since there were no hydraulic lifters, without adjustment the valves will fail to close completely, causing them and the valve seats to burn out, costing many $K in repair.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:30 PM   #247

Man, am I glad I don't sell cars for a living!
Old 08-21-2010, 10:09 PM   #248
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh
If I had to make a decision today, I would probably choose the Venza V6AWD if it was available in a colour of my choice. However, I am going to sit tight for a while as I am waiting for news that would make the new car purchase essential. If it happens, I will probably test drive the two finalists one more time. If I don't get that news, I will keep my current vehicle until it goes to the great car heaven in the sky.
Glad to hear that you enjoyed your test drives of the Venza! I am also glad to hear that you like the six cylinder engine better than the four cylinder engine. I didn't test drive the four cylinder and later wondered how they compared. Mine is a dark metallic grey ("magnetic gray metallic") with ivory colored leather seats. Good luck and I hope all works out as you wish.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:03 PM   #249
Give me a forum ...

When I was car shopping I came upon several 2009 Toyota's that were involved in the recall & had been fixed . I avoided them because of my fear of careening off the skyway bridge but they were great deals . So I am curious would you knowingly buy a Toyota that had been on the recall list if it was a good deal ?
Old 08-22-2010, 12:09 PM   #250
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Man, am I glad I don't sell cars for a living!
How 'bout owning a repair station? Not all of these frugal bastards who drive their cars to the ground know how to fix the cars themselves.

Yes, there's always a way to squeeze these turnips.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:18 PM   #251

Moemg,
I would not hesitate if the price was right. I would try to get every dime of discount possible and extended warranty. However, as I think the recall was over blown and I have had cars that had been recalled and had no problems with them.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #252

Quote:
When I was car shopping I came upon several 2009 Toyota's that were involved in the recall & had been fixed . I avoided them because of my fear of careening off the skyway bridge but they were great deals . So I am curious would you knowingly buy a Toyota that had been on the recall list if it was a good deal ?
I mentioned this before but I'll run through it quick.

I ran across a new 2010 Camry SE with 100 miles on it that had been damaged at the dealer. The dealer broutht it to an auction and sold it to a dealer that sells all types of cars on a small lot. I bought it for $18600 and put $700 in the body. There is still an open recall that I have to bring it into a Toyota dealer for the gas pedal. No biggie, if the gas pedal goes to the floor I'll just put it in neutral.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:36 PM   #253

I have not seen as many Crosstours around but they appear to be very nice vehicles also (I checked them out on the Honda website).
All this car talk has got me thinking: Would it be an oddball thing to bring two cars in to a dealer for a trade in on one vehicle? Or is this something that is just not done? I know, many people would try to sell on their own as prevailing sentiment is that you get more this way, but I would be averse to dealing with phone calls and people unknown to me.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:38 PM   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
I have not seen as many Crosstours around but they appear to be very nice vehicles also (I checked them out on the Honda website).
All this car talk has got me thinking: Would it be an oddball thing to bring two cars in to a dealer for a trade in on one vehicle? Or is this something that is just not done? I know, many people would try to sell on their own as prevailing sentiment is that you get more this way, but I would be averse to dealing with phone calls and people unknown to me.
The Crosstours look huge to me. When I bought my two Honda Civics, I had three cars to trade in. I was too dumb to know if it was acceptable or not - I just did it.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:14 PM   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
The Crosstours look huge to me. When I bought my two Honda Civics, I had three cars to trade in. I was too dumb to know if it was acceptable or not - I just did it.
Thank you. I will keep turning this over in my head. I am glad to know that it is a possibility. Actually, I prefer my older car (a 2001 with 75,000 miles), but I am trying to think of ways to simplify my life. Aging cars and maintenance are out of comfort level. I still work and occasionally must leave the office to make field visits, sometimes to rural areas where I travel on unpaved roads. And of course we have the winters here. When I leave for work, often my driveway is unplowed and the same it true of the roads. I tend to prefer larger cars, except when I go into Pittsburgh for events and must park, hence the two cars. I don't know what one car I would buy to replace my vehicles but I am mulling my options. Also, I HATE the dealer for my newer car and now that my car is out of warranty I might just dump it.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:16 PM   #256

Not unusual for a dealer to take in 2 trades on one car. Remember, you get the tax savings on the new vehicle for the total of the 2 trades.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:03 PM   #257
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well after multiple car test drives and endless research I broke the indecisiveness and bought a Honda CRV EX today . It fits my lifestyle and I like the size ( Not too small ,Not too large ) .I kept on coming back to that car so I made the plunge . Plus all the recommendations from board members gave me the push I needed . Thanks everybody !
You will not regret it...4 cylinder or 6 cylinder?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:53 PM   #258

I believe all CRV's are 4 cylinder.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:54 PM   #259
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
You will not regret it...4 cylinder or 6 cylinder?
The CRV is only a 4, that's one of the reasons I traded mine in for a Pilot, because of the mountain roads I have to drive up. But the newer 4 cyls are a lot stronger than the 1997 model.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:11 PM   #260
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
If you have a garage, check the height of the hatch on the Crosstour. I hear it's very high, perhaps too high for some garages, though since garage door heights are pretty standard, I find that hard to believe.
Edmunds.com says it the height of the Crosstour is 65.7", about five and a half feet. That sounds to me like it would be fine.

Bracketing this height are (for example) the Murano at 68.1", and my Venza at 63.4".

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote