Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-11-2010, 10:12 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I guess so!!

But, if I really really REALLY needed great gas mileage such as that provided by a Prius or other hybrid, then I'd also look at a Fit even though it isn't a hybrid. My co-worker reported absolutely mind-boggling mileage with hers.
Well, I guess if she gets the windows tinted no one will see her. Or maybe drive with a bag over her head like the unknown commedian.
Otherwise there's no way I would be seen in one of them.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2010, 10:15 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Well, I guess if she gets the windows tinted no one will see her. Or maybe drive with a bag over her head like the unknown commedian.
Otherwise there's no way I would be seen in one of them.
I'm told anyone over 30 just doesn't "get" the styling. That means you don't get it X 2!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:19 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
\\

It was a hot on the lot special and our dealerships are hurting a lot . I contacted a few of them for Internet prices and they have been contacting me every day and basically begging me to come in . I bought my Toyota Solara in Florida and believe me I got a great deal . Those other fees are negotiable . Maybe it is the difference between the east & west coast of Florida ?
I think that what they say and what they do will be 2 different things. I also did the internet thing to no avail. The Toyoguard is on every invoice which amounts to nothing for your $. Make ready, dealer fees, inflated MV fees. Just not me cup of tea to play all the games. In NY a dealer would be out of business playing all these games. I guess I'm just not used to being on the other side of the deal. We always offered items to our customers and some were good and some were bad. Down here there is no option, it's on the car and that's that. You may be able to negotiate some of it off but then it's some other charge you'll have to deal with.

Some of the Toyota dealers said they didn't charge any "dealer fees" I found out they just call them something else yet they still charge them.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:05 AM   #44

I have a 2008 Honda CRV and love it. I would buy one again in a heartbeat. We have driven a few Hyundai's as rental cars and have to say that they have not overly impressed us. We also test drove a Honda Fit and I would say no thanks on that one, just did not feel safe enough compared to the CRV.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:36 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm happy with my 2008 Accord. Minor issues: there's a class action settlement on the 2008's and some 2009's due to brake pads wearing out prematurely. Mine has about 35,000 miles on it and I've had to replace the pads once, I think around 25k mi.

It feels very roomy, handles well (like a typical Honda), but isn't the best for carting
around bulky objects: the trunk looks big but doesn't fit long items so well, and the
seat on my model only folds down all in one piece, not 50/50 or 60/40 like some other cars. Even with the back seat down, the wheel wells intrude into the trunk enough to make fitting wide objects a pain. Passengers love the roomy backseat though.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:12 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

We bought a Subaru Outback this year and love it. Great safety ratings and all wheel drive. We bought one with the the larger engine and it is really zippy. It has nice leg room front and back - a plus for tall family members.

We test drove the Foresters and those seemed very nice, too.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:32 AM   #47

We had Toyotas (truck and Celica) that each lasted 10 years with no problems. I would not be worried about buying a Toyota. I know several people with Ford Escapes that are very happy with them
Old 08-12-2010, 06:26 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm a little late to this party, but we just bought a CRV in June, and I LOVE it. Of course, I drove an Accord for 13 years, and also have a 3 year old Civic. You just can't beat Honda quality IMO. We also considered a Subaru Forrester - love the looks and they have really great ratings - but decided to stick with Honda.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:34 AM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks everybody for your advice . The Honda CRV is at the top of my list . I'm looking at the EX model.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:36 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I guess so!!

But, if I really really REALLY needed great gas mileage such as that provided by a Prius or other hybrid, then I'd also look at a Fit even though it isn't a hybrid. My co-worker reported absolutely mind-boggling mileage with hers.
DS loves his Fit. He is averaging about 40 mpg. I drove it about 200 miles a few weeks back, and pretty much decided I love it too. So much so that we may get one when the Odyssey hits 100k or so...that'll be a while. It is a 2005, with 41k on it. DW also likes the CRV, and with AWD its good in snow country.

R
Old 08-12-2010, 08:34 AM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

First, I have to say that I would not hesitate to buy a Toyota just because of the recent negative news. I still think they're a good company that makes really good cars. I suspect some of their problems now are just that they are "under the microscope", but this too shall pass.

My last car was a Toyota Celica that I drove for 19 years. I loved that car. My SO drove a Toyota Camry wagon for 16 years. When we finally had to replace our cars, we would have gladly purchased another Toyota, but neither of us could find something we liked at the time.

I ended up with a Subaru Outback and am very happy with it. It is a reasonably priced car, solid and stable on the road, and has been reliable. I feel really safe when I drive it. If you prefer something a little smaller, the Subaru Forrester would be good choice.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:22 AM   #52

Quote:
I like the Hyundai designs but are they reliable.
Well, the Germans seem to think so. I guess that they must have some reason for that 5-year warranty (nobody else in Europe comes close on that, except Kia, which is owned... by Hyundai).

If I'm back in here in 6 months complaining about my POS car with no warranty backup, you can call me names.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:32 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I've had a subaru now for 8 years. I have beat the snot out of it and it has been extremely reliable and extremely competent in all weather conditions. I would not hesitate to buy another one.

I'd also go look at Fords. They have a really impressive product line out there now and quality has risen to the top of the industry over the last several years.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #54

i'm surprised that no one has questioned why you'd want to get a new car when your current one is only 11yrs, and only 100k miles
Old 08-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by d View Post
i'm surprised that no one has questioned why you'd want to get a new car when your current one is only 11yrs, and only 100k miles
I totally agree. If I had a car that was 11 years old, running good, had no problems and I liked it, I'd just keep driving it. At that age it's probably not worth much anyway, so why not just drive it until you start having problems.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:51 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
If I'm back in here in 6 months complaining about my POS car with no warranty backup, you can call me names.
Went to last year's car show and thought I had fallen in love with a Genesis. But I found consistent complaints that while Hyundai's warranty was very good, the actual approval to conduct repairs under warranty was at best inconsistent, and at worst nonexistent.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:19 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Our '02 echo is more enjoyable to drive than the mustang convertible that we rented recently. The mustang had more muscle, but the echo feels peppier and more nimble.

And the best part:

Old 08-12-2010, 10:29 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So far all good suggestions I am starting on the quest this weekend . I do love Toyota but I'm still leery . My Mom had a Malibu that she sold a few years ago to my cousin and it is still going strong . I like the Hyundai designs but are they reliable . I also like the Honda CRV . It's a top contender and the Honda place seems ripe to deal. I looked at some one year old cars but unless they are high priced models the savings are minimal.

First, the newer design is a lot different than the old one.... but my mother just traded in her 2003 Malibu for a Hyundai Elantra... she does not want a bigger car...

But her Malibu was exhibiting a version of the sudden acceleration of the Toyotas... I drove it and was shocked... I could slow it down easily, but if I let it, it would get up to 70 mph without me touching the gas... and the air conditioner was horrible... way to much cost to fix it all and my mother did not trust the car (she had a wreck the first time it went wild about 4 years ago... we thought it was the carpet then.... now not sure)...

I have been burned to many times with domestics.... they keep telling us they are better this time.... but then you have problems that you just don't have with the foreign brands...
Old 08-12-2010, 10:36 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Here's what I would drive:

Cars:
Accord
Camry
Fusion
Sonata
Mazda 6

Small SUV's
Toyota Matriz/Pontiac Vibe
CRV
Tucson/Sante Fe
Subaru Forester

Living in Florida, you probably don't need AWD that all Subarus have. Also, I think most take premium fuel??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:38 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Here's what I would drive:

Living in Florida, you probably don't need AWD that all Subarus have. Also, I think most take premium fuel??
Only the turbos require premium. Everything else is regular.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote