Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-12-2010, 03:03 PM   #101
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post

In 2010 a nice lady from Sarasota with an aging car was seen careening off the side rails with her eyes shut.

At least he did not say an aging lady in an aging car !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #102
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I am a big Honda fan and this thread is making me think I need to put the CRV on my list for a test drive!

I'm going for one on Saturday so I will report back .
Old 08-12-2010, 03:14 PM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You go Girl!
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Toyota dealers in the US seem particularly adept at boosting margins with "profit packages".

I shopped for a new Toyota here in Texas a few years ago and ran into something called "Gulf States Toyota Distributors (GST)". This company apparently owns the franchise rights to every new Toyota vehicle sold in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma and Texas. Every dealer I talked to had GST add-on packages of $1,000-2,000 on every vehicle. Here is an example of the two most common, found on every new Camry I looked at:

Rip-off city. None would sell a car without it, telling me it was "added at the port" and they were powerless to remove it.

I did not buy a new Toyota and never will - at least not while they play these games.
I don't buy new Toyotas for the same reason.

I used to socialize with a number of top GST execs and friends and families. In fact, I was thinking of them when I wrote this post several years ago. http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post399469.

With only two exceptions they were a miserable group of human beings and I'm glad to be shed of them. With just a hint of schadenfreude I report that all but one have undergone bitter divorces, and/or lost everything they had in some ill-advised non-auto business deal, or their kids turned out to be miserable little snots in trouble with drugs and the law. They still make tons of buck on those Toyos though.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #105

When we purchased our Pilot, the dealer had to get the car from another dealer. When the car arrived it had a 'package' floor mats, mud guards, rear interior mat and such. My dealer said, 'Hey, looks like your are going to get all that for free'. No quibble.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:59 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
The Toyota Venza is a little too big for me . I like a smaller car but they are giving great deals on the Venza now under $25,000 fully optioned . Negotions are a little tighter on the Rav .
Just for fun I went onto Auto Trader to see if any dealers out there had any Venza's for under 25K. Out of hundreds, not a one did I see!

As you say, "fully optioned" these Venza's are around 39K. With the more basic Venza coming in just under 30K.

So, don't be surprised if you go to you local Toyota/ripoff dealer and this car doesn't exist. If it does, as you state "fully optioned" the fees will be around 14k or so. No free lunch!
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:13 PM   #107
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Just for fun I went onto Auto Trader to see if any dealers out there had any Venza's for under 25K. Out of hundreds, not a one did I see!

As you say, "fully optioned" these Venza's are around 39K. With the more basic Venza coming in just under 30K.

So, don't be surprised if you go to you local Toyota/ripoff dealer and this car doesn't exist. If it does, as you state "fully optioned" the fees will be around 14k or so. No free lunch!
You are right . The Venza's that I saw were 2009 's with low mileage and I was surprised that they were selling for that price so I went to Edmond's and 25,000 is the price for low mileage Toyota venza's .I was so surprised because low mileage CRV's or Rav's are only $500 cheaper than new . The Venza is a very very nice car but too large for me I like smaller cars .
Old 08-12-2010, 08:14 PM   #108
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My car is 11 years old and just passed the 100,000 mile mark so I am seriously considering a new car.
That car is just barely broken in. It has got another 100K mi to go. Don't we drive our car to the ground anymore? Am I the only one still doing that?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:17 PM   #109

I just looked on Edmunds.com for the Houston. The most expensive base model with the luxury #2 package is coming is $30,900 for what people are paying. Don't know if you can walk out anywhere that. Maybe someone that has purchased in Houston has an idea.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:20 PM   #110
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
That car is just barely broken in. It has got another 100K mi to go. Don't we drive our car to the ground anymore? Am I the only one still doing that?

The only reason I am looking at cars is that both our cars ( mine & SO ) are eleven years old so I am concerned about longer trips but if I do not find a car I like at a price I like I will drive this car until it stops and then get a ride to a car dealership and buy a car .
Old 08-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

My 95 Nissan minivan got 160K mi, yet is so reliable I would not hesitate to take it for a trip. We prefer it over the other car, a Nissan SUV, because the minivan gets 25mpg on the highway, while the SUV gets 20. So, that SUV sits inside the garage and gets driven only 25K mi after 7 years! The minivan is also a more comfortable ride.

PS. I was just teasing about people buying a new car. One cannot take it with her, right? I myself am indifferent to a new car, actually cars in general, but if one brings one pleasure, then why not, if it can be afforded?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #112
Administrator

I just finished up a car hunt. Go look at Subaru's they have a good balance of excellent reliability, fuel mileage and sporty fun to drive feel. They also make several small SUVs.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:10 PM   #113
Recycles dryer sheets

In 2007 we were looking for a smaller vehicle that had good storage. We strongly considered the CRV. We've had Honda's in the past and been happy with them, and I currently drive an Acura TL and turned 100K miles yesterday with no major problems.

We ended up buying the Mazda 5 and are very happy with this vehicle. The Mazda 5 is very highely rated by Consumer Reports and is their top recommended "budget" family vehicle, based upon the most current issue. Similarly optioned to the CRV, it cost about $5K less. It is essentially a micro-minivan, with about the same space inside as the CRV. It is a bit longer but a bit narrower.

The Mazda handles excellently when compared to pretty much anything else in its class and is very maneuverable. It is rides like Honda used to be - a bit noisier ride, fairly firm, but with outstanding steering feel and a very tight turning circle. We love the sliding doors -- you have a big opening and don't have to worry about dinging other cars. It is lower than an SUV like CRV, but taller than a sedan, so you neither need to step down into it or up into it. For us it is the perfect size. It also gets better mileage than the CRV. You can seat 6 with very little storage, or seat 4 with a lot of cargo room.

We are at 70K miles on it and have had only one issue (suspension bushings recall, fixed free by dealer).
Surfdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:08 AM   #114
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The only reason I am looking at cars is that both our cars ( mine & SO ) are eleven years old so I am concerned about longer trips but if I do not find a car I like at a price I like I will drive this car until it stops and then get a ride to a car dealership and buy a car .
Do you have AAA? I just got it - worked out great when the battery on my 150k mile jeep died. It makes me less concerned driving an older vehicle on longer trips - and they would probably drive you to the dealership if your car stops.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:13 AM   #115
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Do you have AAA? I just got it - worked out great when the battery on my 150k mile jeep died. It makes me less concerned driving an older vehicle on longer trips - and they would probably drive you to the dealership if your car stops.

Gary & I both have AAA and have used it a few times .
Old 08-13-2010, 07:17 AM   #116
Gone but not forgotten

Thanks Surfdaddy & Janet I will check out Subaru & Mazda . I can only handle two dealerships a day before I'm BS out .
Old 08-13-2010, 07:23 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
No. See my post earlier, 212000+ daily driver.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:27 AM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks Surfdaddy & Janet I will check out Subaru & Mazda . I can only handle two dealerships a day before I'm BS out .
Moemg, just a thought: see if a dealership in your area for these brands has an internet sales person. If you contact them ahead of time and tell them you want to come in for a test drive and are not ready to buy, you might head off the attack by the pack of jackals.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:30 AM   #119
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Moemg, just a thought: see if a dealership in your area for these brands has an internet sales person. If you contact them ahead of time and tell them you want to come in for a test drive and are not ready to buy, you might head off the attack by the pack of jackals.
Thanks I did do that with Honda & Toyota so I guess I'll continue with Subaru & Mazda .
Old 08-13-2010, 07:34 AM   #120
Moderator Emeritus

Moemg, I'm enjoying this thread--you are the unofficial e-r.org virtual car-shopper! Can't wait to see which car you choose and why.