Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-14-2010, 07:33 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I've had a subaru now for 8 years. I have beat the snot out of it and it has been extremely reliable and extremely competent in all weather conditions. I would not hesitate to buy another one.
+1 on this. I have a Subaru, and I likely will have Subarus forever unless I lose my mind and buy a used fancy car from my son.

I have an Impreza, pretty nice handling and even without the WRX turbo plenty peppy enough. For its size mileage is only so-so, but I feel that hardly matters unless I were to drive much more than I do. Fairly cheap service rates compared to German cars, and I really love the AWD. Not only for snow and ice, but more useful for me on really steep hills and wet pavement. There are many streets in downtown where I hated to get stopped at a light with a FWD car, as it could be hard to get going again because of wheel spin. Not so with the Subaru AWD. They do basically look like crap though.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2010, 07:41 PM   #142
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I had a fun afternoon test driving three cars!

Car #3: Honda Accord Crosstour EXL Navi. I think I'm in love.....
Ahem....Priced in between the others. Looks cool, except that I'm not crazy about the front grille (too much testosterone). One thing I don't like is the horizontal bar across the outside of the rear window, which splits the pane in two..

Financially, this is complicated because Volvo has 0% financing, while Honda's financing and lease rates are higher. The salesman told me they avoid incentives, and they also do not sell cars to rental agencies, preferring to sell to owners, so that resale values stay up.

They are changing the grill style on a lot of their cars for 2011 which are coming out Mid . August . I talked them into giving me a extra discount for cash . They are ready to deal but you have to hang in there .

Old 08-14-2010, 07:41 PM   #143
Administrator

Quote:
Car #3: Honda Accord Crosstour EXL Navi. I think I'm in love.....
Ahem....Priced in between the others. Looks cool, except that I'm not crazy about the front grille (too much testosterone). This car is a V6 with >250 HP and it has zip, yet it's very responsive. I felt right at home, except with more luxury than I'm used to: leather, wood trim, etc. It had everything the Volvo had except the City Safety. The front passenger airbag senses the weight of the person sitting in the seat and does not deploy if nobody's there. I drove a white car with beige interior and all the communication features and it made me feel very pampered. I also like it in green with black interior. Both Hondas have a rear view camera that switches on automatically when you go into reverse. This rear view camera has an extra feature, guidelines to show you which space your car will be in when you reverse. One thing I don't like is the horizontal bar across the outside of the rear window, which splits the pane in two. Excellent storage with removable, washable bin for your muddy boots, etc. All three cars have split rear seats and these were very comfortable. Both Hondas have good fuel consumption.
The Crosstour sounds like a nice car and you love it. I hope you decide to get this one!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:42 PM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Meadbh - maybe you can just buy a used truck/trailer instead. Maybe see if this one is still available from 1939.... Fo' sure be stylin'.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:47 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

That's the best lookin' beer keg on wheels I ever did see!

Old 08-14-2010, 07:50 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's the best lookin' beer keg on wheels I ever did see!

and it probably doubles as an Rv !
Old 08-14-2010, 08:39 PM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
+1 on this. I have a Subaru, and I likely will have Subarus forever unless I lose my mind and buy a used fancy car from my son.

Ha
We're both Subie lovers Ha! I wouldn't have figured you for a Subaru man. I would have guessed something more stylish. You are a stylin' guy after all
Old 08-14-2010, 08:43 PM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Karmann Ghia ! Just seeing that picture of the car brings back great memories .
I cannot say that about Carmen Electra. I have not seen photos of her before! Where has she been all my life
Old 08-14-2010, 08:44 PM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha

Subaru is still on my list to look at . I find after two dealerships I need aspirin & wine so today's limit was Honda & Nissan !
Old 08-14-2010, 09:07 PM   #150
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My friend that bought a Volvo a few months back said he is having trouble with the front suspension and the brakes. He said he hates the ride as it is very stiff. My other friend who sells them said the same things as the guy who bought one. I've never had a Volvo and don't have any plans to.

I would have bought the CRV as I really like the look and utility of the vehicle. The problem is my knee hit the shifter that sticks out from the dashboard.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:11 PM   #151

Quote:
They are changing the grill style on a lot of their cars for 2011 which are coming out Mid . August . I talked them into giving me a extra discount for cash . They are ready to deal but you have to hang in there .
They are playing with you! There is no discount for cash. The dealership will make less money if you pay cash. There is no kickback from the bank for finance reserve when paying cash.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I would have bought the CRV as I really like the look and utility of the vehicle. The problem is my knee hit the shifter that sticks out from the dashboard.
Do you mean the parking brake on the left? Yeah, I didn't like that.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:23 PM   #153

No, actually it's the gear shifter that sticks out in the middle of the dashboard. My right knee rests on it and after a few minutes it hurts, no way can I drive the CRV more than a few minutes at a time.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:31 PM   #154
Give me a forum ...

I'm not sure what you mean, but either I have smaller knees, or the configuration is different in Canada.....
Old 08-14-2010, 09:34 PM   #155
Recycles dryer sheets

I tried to buy a new Jeep Wrangler today to tow behind my motor home. Why does no one recommend these?

Bad gas mileage.Old technology.Rough ride & noisy.

But hella fun toy!!! And for older guys like us near death ....that is what it's all about no?
Old 08-14-2010, 09:39 PM   #156

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean, but either I have smaller knees, or the configuration is different in Canada.....
The shifter for the CRV is located in the middle of the dash and sticks down a bit. That's where it hits my right knee. Most shifters are on the center console or on the steering wheel. On the CRV it's sort of hangs down from the dash board.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:41 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
I tried to buy a new Jeep Wrangler today to tow behind my motor home. Why does no one recommend these?

Bad gas mileage.Old technology.Rough ride & noisy.

But hella fun toy!!! And for older guys like us near death ....that is what it's all about no?
Yup, all of the above and bad resale. But you're the only one who has to like it so go for it. As you said we are not getting any younger.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:01 PM   #158
Give me a forum ...

A bit of a side journey here, but what about the long warranties from cos like Kia? We're kinda thinking about the Sorento, 10Yr, 100,000 mile warr.

I've heard a bit that they get very particular about proving all service was done - Any solid info on whether they try to wiggle out of warranty claims?

OTOH, our two most recent vehicles reached 10/100,000 with less than $1,000 non-warranty, non-routine-maintenance costs combined. We'll either like the vehicle/value or not, warr probably won't be a deal breaker either way, but might push us on/off the fence if we find ourselves teetering.

-ERD50
Old 08-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #159

I think that many of the 10yr 100000 mile warranties are for PT only after about the first 5 years. Still not bad and if I bought a Kia I'd think of the extra coverage that would cover everything after the bumper to bumper expires and you go to PT only.
This would give you full coverage for the full 10 years. Only thing is make sure you only buy the manufacturers extra coverage. Don't be tricked into the ins company warranties that most dealers sell. Most likely they won't be around by the time you need them. Also ins companies most always figure out a way out of covering anything.

You have a much better shot of getting a repair covered by the manufacturer as they usually care if you're happy with their product. They have a vested interest in keeping you happy as someday you'll need another car. The ins company really doesn't care if you're happy as long as they have your money.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:44 AM   #160
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
My last car was a Toyota Solara and I loved it but I'm still slightly wary of Toyota .
You should have ZERO qualms about buying another Toyota if that is what you would like to do. I assume you are leery because of the acceleration non-sense which was exactly that: non-sense.

If you feel like making a change because you want to try something new that is a different story. But leery... no, buy a Toyota.

Disclosure: I don't own a Toyota, nor their stock. Just a car guy givings his opinion, which Toyota makes a great, reliable product at a reasonable price.