Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #21
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Me too, I love my new Toyota Venza! It has been such a blast to drive for the past 7 months, and like you, I would buy it again in a heartbeat. It does everything but butter my toast in the morning, and I love the luxury and zippy response. Mileage is great.

It might possibly be a little big for Moemg's preferences, although I don't know. I like it and it will be great for hurricane evacuations, should there be any in my future.

The Toyota Venza is a little too big for me . I like a smaller car but they are giving great deals on the Venza now under $25,000 fully optioned . Negotions are a little tighter on the Rav .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2010, 07:23 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Moemg, I don't think there are any good deals in Florida on a Toyota unless it's bought used and private. Too many fees that amount to getting nothing.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Maybe the bad press is overkill but I think they have been lax in their quality control. My deepest fear would be to lose my brakes as I'm driving on The Sunshine Skyway bridge .
That is one scary bridge, and also a very beautiful one.

Ha
Old 08-11-2010, 07:44 PM   #24
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
That is one scary bridge, and also a very beautiful one.

Ha

It is scary . That's why I usually close my eyes when I drive the high part .
Old 08-11-2010, 07:45 PM   #25
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Moemg, I don't think there are any good deals in Florida on a Toyota unless it's bought used and private. Too many fees that amount to getting nothing.

Thanks for the advice !
Old 08-11-2010, 08:16 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

If I didn't need an AWD I'd look at the Hyundai Elantra Touring. Small car benefits with plenty of storage room for under 20K, and I like the body style, but it's not for everyone. It also looks a bit cheap on the interior, if that's important. I haven't looked that closely to see if there are other warts.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:23 PM   #27
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
If I didn't need an AWD I'd look at the Hyundai Elantra Touring. Small car benefits with plenty of storage room for under 20K, and I like the body style, but it's not for everyone. It also looks a bit cheap on the interior, if that's important. I haven't looked that closely to see if there are other warts.

I do like the look of that car but I recently rented a Elantra and was in a minor accident . The other car had a scrape and I had a side panel bashed in in the Elantra .
Old 08-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

The Honda Fit is an intriguing car.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:34 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
The Toyota Venza is a little too big for me . I like a smaller car but they are giving great deals on the Venza now under $25,000 fully optioned . Negotions are a little tighter on the Rav .
That's a great price! Edmunds.com says the "What Others are Paying" price for a fully optioned Venza here is over $39K. So, you could buy one for $25K, drive it here, and sell it and even used you might make money, I think! Seriously, I think that buying a Toyota in Florida may be a really great deal.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:48 PM   #30

W2R, I'm here to say that buying a car in Florida is not easy, unless you want to lay down and give them all your money. They may sell it to you cheap, which I doubt, but they will kill you with a bunch of fees that make no sense.
Believe me I tried to buy a new Toyota last week, didn't work out so well for me.
After 35 years in the car biz I've never seen anything like the scams they are running down here. Not a good idea to know too much if you want to buy a new car in Florida.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
The Honda Fit is an intriguing car.......
Yeah, for blind people.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:53 PM   #32
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That's a great price! Edmunds.com says the "What Others are Paying" price for a fully optioned Venza here is over $39K. So, you could buy one for $25K, drive it here, and sell it and even used you might make money, I think! Seriously, I think that buying a Toyota in Florida may be a really great deal.
I guess Edmond's does not have a feature for desperate dealers . I was shocked at the price but it was their deal of the week. I would have jumped at it but my Solara is the largest car I ever owned and we already have a larger SUV . Gary has a Dodge Durango .
Old 08-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
W2R, I'm here to say that buying a car in Florida is not easy, unless you want to lay down and give them all your money. They may sell it to you cheap, which I doubt, but they will kill you with a bunch of fees that make no sense.
Believe me I tried to buy a new Toyota last week, didn't work out so well for me.
After 35 years in the car biz I've never seen anything like the scams they are running down here. Not a good idea to know too much if you want to buy a new car in Florida.
I'm glad that I didn't have to buy a car down there, then! It was pretty simple and straightforward here. Well, comparatively speaking, if you know what I mean.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:56 PM   #34

Moemg, I'd love to hear your story after you tried to buy a Venza for 25K in Florida.
Trust me, it ain't hapnin! Maybe if it fell of the truck.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Why does this remind me of the old saying about a doctor making a lousy patient?
Old 08-11-2010, 08:59 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Why does this remind me of the old saying about a doctor making a lousy patient?
I don't know, can you tell me?
Old 08-11-2010, 08:59 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yeah, for blind people.
A former co-worker of mine got a Honda Fit and LOVED it - - so each to his/her own, I guess! I have never driven one. They are a little smaller than I wanted when I was car-shopping. Anyhow, she liked the way the interior was so configurable, for carrying odd shaped cargo - - and she liked the gas mileage, of course.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:01 PM   #38

Ugly! Odd shaped car for odd shaped boxes I guess.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #39
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Moemg, I'd love to hear your story after you tried to buy a Venza for 25K in Florida.
Trust me, it ain't hapnin! Maybe if it fell of the truck.
\\

It was a hot on the lot special and our dealerships are hurting a lot . I contacted a few of them for Internet prices and they have been contacting me every day and basically begging me to come in . I bought my Toyota Solara in Florida and believe me I got a great deal . Those other fees are negotiable . Maybe it is the difference between the east & west coast of Florida ?
Old 08-11-2010, 09:07 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Ugly! Odd shaped car for odd shaped boxes I guess.
I guess so!!

But, if I really really REALLY needed great gas mileage such as that provided by a Prius or other hybrid, then I'd also look at a Fit even though it isn't a hybrid. My co-worker reported absolutely mind-boggling mileage with hers.