Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-17-2010, 08:13 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So many car lovers here! If you have the means, how many would have a few dozen cars?

And then, you would need a place to store them, right? How about a house with a 35-car garage like this?

$35 million home has room for 35 cars

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2010, 08:20 PM   #162
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
So many car lovers here! If you have the means, how many would have a few dozen cars?

And then, you would need a place to store them, right? How about a house with a 35-car garage like this?

$35 million home has room for 35 cars
One car is plenty for me, thanks! An attached garage would be nice too.

Somehow that $35 million home doesn't seem consistent with our minimalism thread.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:30 PM   #163
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Why not find a vehicle YOU LIKE and buy it?
Old 08-17-2010, 08:32 PM   #164
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Exactly!!! 35 cars would mean you'd have to take care of 35 regular oil changes, not to mention 35 insurance policies. As for me, I love my new Toyota Venza. What a dream it is to drive.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:42 PM   #165
Recycles dryer sheets

Say hello to newest member of my family!!

Now I just need to find some big rocks to drive over.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:44 PM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Moemg:

I would test the Mazda 2.3 5 door (wagon) and the Sonata..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:54 PM   #167

At least 4. Our Pilot is great for an every day car. However, we need a pick up truck several times a year. Hey this is Texas, you got to have a pickumuptruck! But then a sports car just for the fun of it, and a luxury car to travel in!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #168
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Eh, what if one finds more than one car that he/she likes? It's just like some people who have a harem because they find more than one lady lovely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
35 cars would mean you'd have to take care of 35 regular oil changes, not to mention 35 insurance policies. As for me, I love my new Toyota Venza. What a dream it is to drive.
Well, I ask if you would do it if you have the means.

OK, it was just a rhetorical question as I am not a car lover, as I stated earlier.

Cars are just tools to me. Still, we now have 3 tools cars. An old minivan we bought to haul the kids, and they are now young adults. It still runs well and I hate to get rid of it. A newer SUV I use to pull a utility trailer to move "stuff" between the houses. These two cars I bought new to be sure that they are maintained properly from start.

I recently bought a used car to tow as a toad behind the RV, because neither of the two existing cars can be flat-towed. So, three cars for me, and I would hasten to add that it was not really by choice. One of these days, the minivan might die, and we are back down to 2.

Still, there has got to be somebody here who would want a 35-car collection. Come on, speak up. Don't be shy!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-17-2010, 09:08 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post

Now I just need to find some big rocks to drive over.
Yeah? Can your Wrangler do better than this Nissan Xterra?

Or this Xterra?

Old 08-17-2010, 09:18 PM   #170
Give me a forum ...

Well, one would hope to do better than this one. :-)

Old 08-17-2010, 09:20 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Exactly!!! 35 cars would mean you'd have to take care of 35 regular oil changes, not to mention 35 insurance policies. As for me, I love my new Toyota Venza. What a dream it is to drive.
Quote:
Well, I ask if you would do it if you have the means.
Even if I could afford 100 cars, I would not want 35 cars because it would be such a giant hassle. You'd have to supervise a huge staff to keep all these cars washed, their oil and filters changed, and more, plus they would need to "exercise" them enough that the batteries didn't go flat. No thanks! I am enjoying my retirement too much to want to supervise an army...

Old 08-17-2010, 11:21 PM   #172
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yeah? Can your Wrangler do better than this Nissan Xterra?

Or this Xterra?

Yikes...them are boulders...not rocks!! And I think in these cases driver skill (luck) might be more important than type of 4x4.

Heres a typical Wrangler addict

Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:55 AM   #173
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I would think you could get one insurance policy to cover 35 cars -but you're right - 35 cars would require 35 oil changes. But if somebody has the means and desire to buy and maintain 35 cars, I say go for it. Good thing I can get by with 3 or 4.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:37 AM   #174

DW hardly ever drives her car in JP, so we are going to get rid of it...she went to use it yesterday for the first time in 3 months, and you guessed it, the battery was flat as a fiddle. I went and bought a set of booster cables and got it going for her. When we sell it, we'll be down to 3...1 in JP and 2 in the states. Gotta have the pickup there, and a car to get us and our luggage back and forth from the airport. It's too bad we have to get rid of her car in JP because it is a great little car (Honda Stream...not sold in the US, small minivan that looks like the older model Odyssey, just smaller) but it costs too much to keep it if we are only going to use it 3-4 times a year (about how much we have used it since DD went to college). If they ever start selling them in the US, that may be what we get to replace her US car (2005 Odyssey, which we also love, but won't need the size since the kids are on their own).

...and no, we won't be buying a Rambler...

R
Old 08-18-2010, 06:51 AM   #175
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Moemg:

I would test the Mazda 2.3 5 door (wagon) and the Sonata..........

Thanks , I did test drive the Sonata and it's high on the list . I am just not sure I want another sedan . As everybody can see this decision is driving me nuts because their is not any car I'm in love with . I like several but do not love any of them . So far it's been an interesting experience but like Rich was and W2R is I'm caught in indecisiveness . Which is fueled by the fact that my eleven year old car is still running great . I'm sure one day I'll just pull the trigger and buy a new one . The one thing I have learned is if you are looking at higher priced cars definitely buy low miles used the discount in incredible . Where as the discount for more economical cars is not really worth buying used . I also learned to research and do more research so you know the bottom line before you walk into the dealership and the last thing I learned is never mention you are paying cash until all the numbers are down . Also take someone with you to divert the salesman so you can really look the car over .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:47 AM   #176
Recycles dryer sheets

All depends on the money you have to spend and on what you generally need a car for and what kind of conditions you drive in.

For general all about usability, I would buy a 4 seater Jeep Wrangler with a toe-hook and a roof rack and the 2.5 liter engine. But I live in snow country. For long distance traveling without a trailer behind, I would buy a Honda hybrid. The combination of both those cars with the addition of a trailer for carrying things and a small pop-up travel trailer, would solve all my transportation needs.
HsiaoChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #177
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
Yikes...them are boulders...not rocks!! And I think in these cases driver skill (luck) might be more important than type of 4x4.

Heres a typical Wrangler addict
These people are nuts. I am not a car lover, but I don't abuse mine either. And I also don't risk my neck.

Anyway, having 35 cars is a bit excessive, but most people like to have 2 like myself. A big one, and a small one. The big one can be an SUV or a pickup. The little one can be a sporty car or something small to run around to get groceries. Even a frugal guy like T-Al still has two: an Echo and a pickup.

PS. Forgot to add that the big one can be an RV, and the other one can be a not-as-big car like the Wrangler.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:05 AM   #178
Administrator

Quote:
These people are nuts.
Not really nuts - just recreationally adventurous. You have to to view it as a sport. Picking a daily driver is a totally different deal.

I just bought a new (used) car. First, I made a list of features the vehicle HAD to have. That substantially reduced the pool of possible models. Then I started shopping. In the end I chose the one that resonated with me. It didn't have the best repair record and wasn't the cheapest but since I have to sit in it for 10 years I went for the one that made me happy when I sat in it. When I was 30, my choices were driven entirely by economics (cost, reliability, etc) but now, while those things do figure into my car choice - they are balanced by a desire for pleasure. The hours I spent in a vehicle should be good ones.

My list of must haves:
Towing capacity (5000 lbs)
Good in snow
Good in scalding heat
Cargo room to carry band equipment
Adjustable wheel including tilt AND telescope
Good accident safety stats
Comfortable for long trips (good seats)
Small enough to park in big city reasonably

What I test drove:

Toyota 4 runner, FJ cruiser
Honda Pilot, Ridgeline
Jeep Commander
Nissan Pathfinder
Chevy Tahoe
Buick enclave
VW Touareg
Mercedes GL

What I bought:
VW Touareg (2008 w/19 K miles)
Old 08-18-2010, 10:17 AM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Thanks , I did test drive the Sonata and it's high on the list . I am just not sure I want another sedan .
You mentioned the Accord Coupe earlier, I think - - have you had a chance to try that one yet? Also the Crosstour might be attractive.

It sounds like another coupe might be more appealing than a four door sedan or SUV, maybe.

Too bad Toyota isn't making the Solara any more, but maybe a (lightly) used Solara that is just a couple of years old or so? The Solara was such a great car. Even though they keep their value so well, if that is really the car you want then it might be worth it to you.

For me, it took a lot of online research over a year or two but luckily I was able to narrow it down to the Venza, with the Rav4 or CRV as alternate choices, by the time I went to the dealers. My main concern was the size of the Venza. The test drive showed me that the Venza drives just like the Solara and didn't seem too big for me at all. So, I was done in 2 hours and didn't have to go through the ordeal you have been going through. I was pretty lucky.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:36 AM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Catching back up on this thread. Someone mentioned the flat floor on the CRV, no middle column. If it's like the 97 I had, I hated that! If something fell on the floor on the passenger side, like a water bottle, it could easily roll to the drivers side and interfere with the pedals. Very dangerous!

I like the looks of the Accord Crosstour but haven't really checked them out closely. I've heard the back glass is a distraction to see out of, and a lot of people don't like how the wheel wells really cut into the cargo storage. It's got a lot less capacity than most crossovers that size so I'm not sure if the utility is as good as it would seem to replace my SUV.

If I had the means I would probably have a dozen cars. I have an 04 Pilot that I love (except I agree with those who say that Honda brakes don't hold up) and a 97 Miata for fun driving, plus it gets a lot better MPG. When my daughter couldn't take her Mitsu Gallant to college the first year I enjoyed having a sedan in worse weather than I wanted to take the Miata out in, but when I didn't need the big SUV. I'd love to have a luxury sedan for a weekend drive. I'd love to have a Mustang convertible. The new Camaro looks really sharp too. My ideal would probably be to have a nice and/or sporty convertible with a retractable hard top and AWD. Keep my Pilot for bad weather and hauling stuff.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote