Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-18-2010, 10:38 AM   #181
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

All the posts make for great reading and the details of ownership, recommendations on future purchases and all around comments are very valuable. Don't think your comments ever go to waste. I have them filed and will dig them out whan I go to purchase or lease in a few months. Since I'm only looking for a SUV, I'll certainly be looking at the Honda CRV. I've had that one on my list but haven't gotten to the test drive. Also, some 2011 models are out there already but not many. Thanks for all the information.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #182
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
If I had the means I would probably have a dozen cars.
Maybe it's a "men vs women" thing, but I don't think I will ever want more than one car (much less a dozen or 35).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:58 AM   #183
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Maybe it's a "men vs women" thing, but I don't think I will ever want more than one car (much less a dozen or 35).
If I had the means i'd like:

Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
Porsche 911 Turbo
Mercedes SL65 AMG

That would give me a fast luxurious SUV to travel and for daily use. The 911 Turbo would be the true sports car. The mercedes is ultimate luxury and performance in one and it also has a retractable hard-top roof. 3 cars would be plenty for me. I may increase it to close to 10 but definitly not 35.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:31 PM   #184
Give me a forum ...

I guess I am in the absolute minority who did not spend that much time shopping for a car. But then, it could be because I was still working and did not have much free time. Recently, I spent a heck of a lot of time shopping for my used RV and the used car for a toad, in fact a lot more than I spent looking for my 2nd home. And I am still working part-time.

I can see that when I fully retire, I may just turn car shopping into a month or year long process. It's inexpensive entertainment, I have to agree.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:47 PM   #185
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I guess I am in the absolute minority who did not spend that much time shopping for a car.
When I bought my current vehicle I spent 1 hour researching it online then went to the dealer and took it for a test drive and went home with it the same day.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:04 PM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I guess I am in the absolute minority who did not spend that much time shopping for a car. But then, it could be because I was still working and did not have much free time. Recently, I spent a heck of a lot of time shopping for my used RV and the used car for a toad, in fact a lot more than I spent looking for my 2nd home. And I am still working part-time.

I can see that when I fully retire, I may just turn car shopping into a month or year long process. It's inexpensive entertainment, I have to agree.
I'm sure the sales people will be thrilled.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:05 PM   #187
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
"Tirekickers Unite"!!!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:11 PM   #188
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Well, Moe has done some of that already.

Actually, the chance of me carrying out that threat is slim. I asked myself if I would want a dozen cars if I were a centimillionaire, and the answer was no. Would I want to not own them, but just to test drive them? The answer is still no. I am simply not interested.

So, there! Car salesmen have nothing to fear from me, as I do not and will not frequent their showroom. But, I am sure if there are any here on this forum, they have already taken a peek at my profile to see if there's my photo to commit to their memory.

PS. My recent claimed "extensive shopping" for the RV and the toad was mainly done on-line, by surfing the Web looking for the right deal to surface; I already knew what I wanted, and was only waiting for the right vehicle with the right mileage and a price that I couldn't refuse. I would buy from either dealerships or private parties, but prefer the latter as there are no sales taxes for private sales in our state. In the end, I did end up buying from private parties.

Very little car salesman's time was wasted, I assure you!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-18-2010, 01:16 PM   #189
gone traveling

Quote:
Probably; I have a Cadillac SRX to satisfy my "needs"; I also have a Mustang GT convertible to satisfy my "wants"....

One is love; the other is sex (sort of like Engelbert Humperdinck vs. Tom Jones).

I'll let you figure out which is which ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #190

Want? Need? I'm thinking Bob Dylan here.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:01 PM   #191
Full time employment: Posting here.

I can't imagine wanting to own more than one car per person, but then I don't like cars that much. Now bicycles....
I saw a friend at a bike swap, and as I sheepishly tried to explain why I was looking for another bicycle, she put it very clearly.
The number of bicycles you need is n+1, where n=the number of bicycles you have.
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:06 PM   #192
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrugalformycat View Post
I can't imagine wanting to own more than one car per person, but then I don't like cars that much.
Ah, now that's another advantage of a couple. We share, hence can have different cars.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:13 PM   #193
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
Say hello to newest member of my family!!

Now I just need to find some big rocks to drive over.
Yeah that's what I want. I have 2 door wrangler. Nothing stops it.

For the others: ITS A JEEP THING. YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND
HsiaoChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:38 PM   #194
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
You mentioned the Accord Coupe earlier, I think - - have you had a chance to try that one yet? Also the Crosstour might be attractive.

It sounds like another coupe might be more appealing than a four door sedan or SUV, maybe.

Too bad Toyota isn't making the Solara any more, but maybe a (lightly) used Solara that is just a couple of years old or so? The Solara was such a great car. Even though they keep their value so well, if that is really the car you want then it might be worth it to you.

For me, it took a lot of online research over a year or two but luckily I was able to narrow it down to the Venza, with the Rav4 or CRV as alternate choices, by the time I went to the dealers. My main concern was the size of the Venza. The test drive showed me that the Venza drives just like the Solara and didn't seem too big for me at all. So, I was done in 2 hours and didn't have to go through the ordeal you have been going through. I was pretty lucky.

Thanks , But unfortunately I am as blocked on this car purchase as you are on the Missouri move . I 'm sure one day I will just do it but for now I'm indecisive and luckily the Camry & the Durango are running great .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:54 PM   #195
Gone but not forgotten

Maybe I need to think outside the box and buy two cars ??
Attached Images
File Type: png 370zr_10_l_cb_k23.png (56.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: png rge_10_l_s_qx1.png (28.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-18-2010, 06:47 PM   #196
Give me a forum ...

Go for it Moe; and if you decide on just one get the first vehicle. You would look FABULOUS driving that car!

Old 08-18-2010, 06:59 PM   #197
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Go for it Moe; and if you decide on just one get the first vehicle. You would look FABULOUS driving that car!

Thanks ! That car is me !
Old 08-18-2010, 07:22 PM   #198
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Thanks ! That car is me !
That would be a great car for you! You could ride around in the Florida sunshine with the convertible top down and have a lot of fun.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:00 PM   #199
Give me a forum ...

So, after test driving and choosing your car, you are now ready to buy.

But, but, but what color do you want? Isn't that one of the most important options, being the principal attribute that affects the look of the car, your object of desire and devoted love? Being practical, I usually stay with a light color, due to the summer heat and the harsh sun in the SouthWest. And that means white or silver.

And I found out that I am not alone. According to a recent released industry report (BusinessWeek Aug 16), the #1 color of new cars in North America last year was white at 17.8%. Black was #2 at 17%, followed by silver at 16.7%. The report added that silver is #1 color globally.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:00 AM   #200
Give me a forum ...

A bright color like red is practical too, in terms of safety. It's easier for other drivers to see than silver.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote