Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-19-2010, 06:07 AM   #201
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Maybe I need to think outside the box and buy two cars ??
That's what I did ...

BTW, my SRX is grey, but it's the older model as shown. The Stang color is correct.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2002-Ford-Mustang-Conv-02-800.jpg (45.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Cadillac-SRX-1.jpg (32.2 KB, 0 views)
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2010, 06:50 AM   #202
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with buying multiple cars. Bought a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee and a 2001 Corvette. Still have both. And added a F150 since then. Cars are like tools. You have to have a specific tool to perform a specific task. Same with cars.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:30 AM   #203
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
A bright color like red is practical too, in terms of safety. It's easier for other drivers to see than silver.
There's no evidence for that. In fact what evidence there is, suggests a slight advantage for silver over other colours. See for example here.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:27 PM   #204
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
There's no evidence for that. In fact what evidence there is, suggests a slight advantage for silver over other colours. See for example here.
That's interesting. Where I live, we get some very thick fogs, and I think silver cars are the toughest to see. (Actually the toughest cars to see by far are the ones where drivers haven't turned on their lights.) And white blends in with the snow in winter, and on icy winter roads it's probably most critical to be seen as early as possible since it can take longer to stop. But if you drive a lot at night, white or silver seem like good colors. I can see how red is bad at night. Probably the safest color depends on your environment.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #205
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I 'm sure one day I will just do it but for now I'm indecisive and luckily the Camry & the Durango are running great .
Sorry to hear that you are having problems finding the right car for you.

But one last try - - how about a Miata? They are pretty popular and I understand they are a lot of fun to drive. If you test drove one, you might like it a lot.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:35 PM   #206
Administrator

Interesting... I have never, ever picked a car for it's color. I buy the one on the lot that is cheapest. Often there are two of the same model (similarly appointed). In my experience the red ones are always cheapest. I've had a red mazda, a red ford and a red renault for this reason. I don't actually like red cars much....
It's possible that red is a desirable color in a sports car but it doesn't seem to be a popular color in the more boring utilitarian vehicles I generally shop for.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:39 PM   #207
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Sorry to hear that you are having problems finding the right car for you.

But one last try - - how about a Miata? They are pretty popular and I understand they are a lot of fun to drive. If you test drove one, you might like it a lot.

Thanks but I was only kidding about a sports car . I need something bigger just not too big . I also need something that my 94 year old Mom can get into and out of easily .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:42 PM   #208
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Interesting... I have never, ever picked a car for it's color. I buy the one on the lot that is cheapest. Often there are two of the same model (similarly appointed). In my experience the red ones are always cheapest. I've had a red mazda, a red ford and a red renault for this reason. I don't actually like red cars much....
It's possible that red is a desirable color in a sports car but it doesn't seem to be a popular color in the more boring utilitarian vehicles I generally shop for.

I had red cars when I lived up north but here in the south cars are usually lighter in color . I never pick a car for the color but once I've picked a car then I need to find one in the color I want .Especially since they are usually with me for a long time .
Old 08-19-2010, 01:23 PM   #209
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have a 10-year-old Miata. It is a fantastic car to drive, but also to own - and the two don't always go together!. I don't know if the 2005-on model is any less good, but I haven't heard anything.

A Miata is also a superb second-hand buy. They are pretty much bulletproof, so you can buy one with just the basic checks of its condition. And after 4-5 years their value hardly drops at all. All I do to mine is change the oil every 8,000 miles, the plugs and air filter every second oil change, and that's it.

Oh, and 35mpg highway is achievable too.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #210
Moderator Emeritus

DW has a 2010 Miata which replaced a 1997 Miata. The 1997 Miata was by far the best car we ever owned. Mechanically, it was top notch. We bought it used in 2002 and in the 8 years we owned it, it never visited the garage except for routine maintenance (oil change, battery, tires, etc...). It's a bit early to judge the quality of the 2010 model (which compared to the 1997 model is loaded with electronics), but so far so good.

FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #211
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
DW has a 2010 Miata which replaced a 1997 Miata. The 1997 Miata was by far the best car we ever owned. Mechanically, it was top notch. We bought it used in 2002 and in the 8 years we owned it, it never visited the garage except for routine maintenance (oil change, battery, tires, etc...). It's a bit early to judge the quality of the 2010 model (which compared to the 1997 model is loaded with electronics), but so far so good.

I love the looks of that car but unfortanetly a two seater is impractical for me . I did have two seaters when I was younger ( pre kids and now grandkids & elderly Mom & large SO)
Old 08-19-2010, 05:19 PM   #212
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
That's interesting. Where I live, we get some very thick fogs, and I think silver cars are the toughest to see. (Actually the toughest cars to see by far are the ones where drivers haven't turned on their lights.) And white blends in with the snow in winter, and on icy winter roads it's probably most critical to be seen as early as possible since it can take longer to stop. But if you drive a lot at night, white or silver seem like good colors. I can see how red is bad at night. Probably the safest color depends on your environment.
That's why all cars sold in Canada must have daytime running lights.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #213
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Interesting... I have never, ever picked a car for its color.
I usually go with a light color due to the sunlight heat here, but am not that picky about the color. However, black or dark color is out! Up in the PNW maybe, but not here.

Usually, car makers stay away from outrageous colors, hence the cars on the lot are usually all acceptable to the typical buyer. But imagine that you are buying a spanking new car that costs so much, wouldn't you want to order exactly what you want? The truth is that you don't really know what you want, isn't it? As I did not really care that much, I tended to buy whatever is offered on sales on the lot, just to get it done.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:41 PM   #214
Gone but not forgotten

Well after multiple car test drives and endless research I broke the indecisiveness and bought a Honda CRV EX today . It fits my lifestyle and I like the size ( Not too small ,Not too large ) .I kept on coming back to that car so I made the plunge . Plus all the recommendations from board members gave me the push I needed . Thanks everybody !
Old 08-20-2010, 03:42 PM   #215
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well after multiple car test drives and endless research I broke the indecisiveness and bought a Honda CRV EX today . It fits my lifestyle and I like the size ( Not too small ,Not too large ) .I kept on coming back to that car so I made the plunge . Plus all the recommendations from board members gave me the push I needed . Thanks everybody !
This thread is useless would be greatly enhanced with a photo.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:57 PM   #216
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats! - You'll be amazed how practical an SUV is - you'll wonder how you got by without one before.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:05 PM   #217
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
This thread is useless would be greatly enhanced with a photo.

This is the car . I would go outside and take an actual picture but after the car dealership I 'm too tired .
Attached Images
File Type: png rge_10_l_s_qx1.png (28.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 08-20-2010, 04:06 PM   #218
Moderator Emeritus

Color? Bells? Whistles? We need details!

Congratulations!!!
Old 08-20-2010, 04:08 PM   #219
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This is the car . I would go outside and take an actual picture but after the car dealership I 'm too tired .
OK...but we want to see the real deal tomorrow.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:11 PM   #220
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Congratulations Moe! I'm sure you will love it. Hondas are great. And I love white ones

After test driving a CRV last weekend I have decided to try a Venza tomorrow.....W2R's enthusiasm is influencing me......
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote