Which car to keep??

Which car should I keep and drive??

• Sell them both a buy yourself a real car ~ maybe a Venza?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

VaCollector

Full time employment: Posting here.
My DW's recent actions have presented me with the task of choosing which car to keep and drive...and I find myself going back and forth with my choice...so I thought that I'd get some input from those on the board.

Background ~ my DW changed employers and found that she would need a car as she no longer had the company vehicle provided....fast forward thru the process of buying to the 2010 Honda CR-V that she drove for 6 months until coming home recently with her new ride (BMW X5...woohoo....good for HER!).

My normal "ride" is my trusty 2004 Toyota Sienna....66,000 miles with no current problems save a small scrape from a garage support post that "jumped out and got me" while I wasn't looking :angel:

The CR-V has 10,000 miles and a few things that my van does not ~ sunroof, heated seats, MP3 connection, satellite radio to name a few....along with free oil changes, inspections and car washes for the life of the dealership or the vehicle (which ever comes 1st!).

I thought that I might put the decision in the hands of fate as I currently have them both listed on Craigslist and have pretty much decided that I will drive which ever one does not sell....but I've had little activity with only a couple of inquiries on the Sienna (that have NOT gotten anyone here to look) and nothing on the CR-V. I assume that is due to the lower price of the van...

My pricing homework included Kelly's Blue Book valuations as well as a couple of visits to CARMAX where I now have their "offer to buy" in hand for each vehicle.

I would be satisfied driving either vehicle but as I don't like change, it may take me a little while to adjust to the Honda.....

Your thoughts? Am I overlooking anything?

Thanks!!

I would keep the Honda CR-V, but not for the reasons that you cited.

The CR-V makes an excellent toad to tow behind your future motor home. It's one of the few that can be flat-towed for both the AT and stick-shift versions. It is light, of the right size, and has decent ground clearance to take into the boonies, like what you will encounter in Alaska. What's not to like?

I voted for the Honda although I almost voted to sell them both and buy a Venza! I do love my Venza so much, especially with its double sunroof and heated seats (which I am sure I will use someday! :2funny:). But actually a CR-V is a wonderful car too. I would think that a new car like your CR-V would lose a great fraction of its value in just driving it off the lot, wouldn't it? So I voted to keep the CR-V instead of selling it.

If you don't need a minivan, I would keep the CRV. It's newer, has more features, and is universally regarded as a good car with a good safety record. And Moe has one! :cool: Probably nobody is biting on craigslist because they can get great deals on a new one.

Since I recently purchased a CRV that I absolutely love I'd keep the CRV . Plus doesn't the CRV get better mileage than the Toyota sienna ?

You bought the Sienna for a reason, right? At that time, you could have bought a CR-V instead, but you didn't. So unless your priorities change, I don't see why you would want the CR-V now.

I vote that you take the new BMW and let DW choose between the CRV and Sienna.

Umm... As I recall, VACollector's wife is still w*rking full-time. Read his post again to see that she bought the CR-V, and then the X5, herself.

Why do you want to see our friend VACollector getting hurt? We do not know about his wife's temperament, to suggest for him to even think of such thing. :nonono:

Additionally, remember that our friend here only works part-time. As they say, [-]beggars[/-] [-]bums[/-] early retirees can't be choosy... :hide:

Just take the CR-V and start to [-]tell[/-] suggest to DW that she needs to work harder for that future motor home :angel:

I have the answer ! I'll take the BMW ( I've always wanted that type of car but was too thrifty ) and she can have my 2010 CRV . You will both be driving CRV's so marital harmony will be preserved . Don't thank me ! I'm just thinking of you and your marriage !:)

I voted to keep the CR-V, primarily for the greater depreciation hit you'd take from selling it.

Thanks for all of the replies!

NW....I hope that it's not gonna break your heart but I'm not a motor home kinda guy....my Mom & Dad actually owned a Bluebird and spent a LOT of time on the road...my older "brother" (not by blood) and his DW are actually full timers and spend most of their time in FL....but my idea of camping....is the Holiday Inn Express :LOL:

W2R ~ I'm still in shock....thought for sure you'd want me to go the the Toyota dealership ASAP....and if I sell the Cr-V, I'm out $5K from my purchase of $26,500 whih was an all inclusive "out the door" price....

Meadbh ~ I agree that it's much easier for a buyer to compete the process at a dealership, although the dealer where we bought the CR-V currently has a comparable model which is actually advertised at a price higher than we paid for this one....although I'm certain that it won't sell for that....I'm sure that those buyers shopping for "a monthly payment" of XXX $'s would hardly care WHAT the price is as long as the payment number is right!

Moe ~ I actually followed your thread on buying the CR-V. Not only enjoyable to follow the "adventure", I found it informative as well. Thanks!!

Sam ~ thanks for the voice of reason. The van does come in handy when it's time to head out as a family as my "group" normally seems to include 5 or more :(

Bestwife ~ yeah, right....I'll let you know how THAT turns out.....actually, my DW travels a least 2 weeks out of every month and she does not ALWAYS drive there :angel: ....so I'll have ample opportunity to keep it gassed up!!

kcowan ~ while it wouldn't really affect my decision as I am an avid Toyota fan having owned 5 others over the years.... I actually have a recall notice for the van sitting on the kitchen table right now....for possible rusting of the spare tire holder....psychic huh? :greetings10:

Thanks again for all of the replies....

Update....the hands of fate have ruled!!

Looks like I'll be driving my trusty old Sienna a while longer. As stated in my
original post, I had placed them both on Craigslist and was hoping to sell one or
the other with the "leftover" being MY ride.

This morning I updated my Craigslist ads with pricing just above my CARMAX
offers - labeled the ADS "3 Days ONLY" - and was extremely surprised to have
inquiries within an hour or so after posting....sold the CR-V to the 1st guy that
came to look and had to call the folks that I had scheduled to see the Sienna
and let them know that it was no longer available. :LOL:

Funny how things work out sometimes....if this had happened the 1st time I posted
the ads, I wouldn't have had to bother you guys!! :whistle:

Thanks anyway!!

Enjoy your Sienna! I kind of got the idea that you really wanted to keep it anyway, and it should last for many more years.

Or, if you decide you'd rather, you can always trade it in on a new Venza. :LOL: One test drive and you'll never want anything else... :angel:

Back
Top Bottom