Join Early Retirement Today

Which Countries Are Most Civil Online?
Old 02-24-2017, 08:45 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Which Countries Are Most Civil Online?

As absolutely horrific as some US websites are WRT civility/courtesy (not ER.org!), I for one am mildly surprised.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1127.JPG (216.2 KB, 60 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2017, 08:58 AM   #2
Administrator

This measure was new to me so I looked it up.
Quote:
It’s Safer Internet Day 2017, and Microsoft is challenging people around the world to embrace “digital civility” and to treat each other with respect and dignity online. It may sound simple, but new Microsoft research shows people are concerned about the tone of online interactions and worry that risks will increase in the future.

The research prompted the creation of our Digital Civility Index, which we’re also announcing today – a new measure of people’s safety online and exposure to risks.
https://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-i...duhx1e2t4bzyky
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:15 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was surprized that the UK is the most civil. When I used to travel overseas, I would sometimes find the BBC stations that covered debates going on in their House of Commons(?). I was amazed at how the two sides sat on opposite sides of an aisle and attacked each other, other with a bunch of name calling. At the time, I was glad the US seemed to have a little better cross party relations ..... or at least more civil discussions. Guess that time has passed.

Every now and again I read comments posted after articles on websites. I haven't figured out why people waste their time throwing knives at each other the way they do. Don't see any constructive purpose. Oh well, guess I'm getting old.
Whisper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:06 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper66 View Post
I was amazed at how the two sides sat on opposite sides of an aisle and attacked each other, other with a bunch of name calling.
Creative insults and name calling is a time-honored tradition in Britain's Parliament. When American politicians insult each other, we see it as further evidence that standards are breaking down. Conversely, in Britain, similar behavior between politicians is seen as upholding tradition, probably because they see it as part and parcel of the great tradition of debating that exists in the world of British public schools and Oxbridge.

I do think that the British do insults far better than we do in the US. A Labor MP once said of Margaret Thatcher's aggressive actions that she was acting "with the sensitivity of a sex-starved boa-constrictor." Another Labor MP, Tom Watson, shouted to (Conservative) Michael Gove, "You're a miserable pipsqueak of a man."

Trading insults is seen as part of the game in Parliament, and there is often an air of enjoyment that accompanies the proceedings. American politicians are far less evolved with their demeaning comments, and take them far more seriously. How dull!

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:13 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
This measure was new to me so I looked it up.
https://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-i...duhx1e2t4bzyky
Thanks, I meant to include a link, which explained the source.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:49 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I wonder why east Asian countries like Japan and South Korea weren't included in the survey. I would guess they'd have even better online civility scores than the UK... but would be interesting to see the actual numbers.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:56 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is why many US news/newspaper sites have shut down their comment sections; they have just become cesspools.
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:13 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkevin View Post
This is why many US news/newspaper sites have shut down their comment sections; they have just become cesspools.
...and that's being polite!
Old 02-24-2017, 11:13 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I wonder why east Asian countries like Japan and South Korea weren't included in the survey. I would guess they'd have even better online civility scores than the UK... but would be interesting to see the actual numbers.
There are lots of countries of interest that have not been included. However, to have meaningful data from any country requires a significant sample size there. The number of countries surveyed was probably chosen based on available funding.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:17 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Politicians insulting each other? Boring.

Fistfight, now that's more exciting. Action speaks louder than words. See a chokehold at 0:50 in the following video.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:30 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Somebody mentioned Asian countries earlier. The following video is about their parliaments, not the online forums, but there's a lot of exciting action there.

See: Taiwan at 4:00, and South Korea at 7:00. Woman politicians too.

When words do not persuade, it's time to put up your dukes.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:34 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's one of the reasons. Another reason is that some media/news sites like to censor opposing viewpoints.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:36 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Creative insults and name calling is a time-honored tradition in Britain's Parliament. When American politicians insult each other, we see it as further evidence that standards are breaking down. Conversely, in Britain, similar behavior between politicians is seen as upholding tradition, probably because they see it as part and parcel of the great tradition of debating that exists in the world of British public schools and Oxbridge.

I do think that the British do insults far better than we do in the US. A Labor MP once said of Margaret Thatcher's aggressive actions that she was acting "with the sensitivity of a sex-starved boa-constrictor." Another Labor MP, Tom Watson, shouted to (Conservative) Michael Gove, "You're a miserable pipsqueak of a man."

Trading insults is seen as part of the game in Parliament, and there is often an air of enjoyment that accompanies the proceedings. American politicians are far less evolved with their demeaning comments, and take them far more seriously. How dull!
+1
The British take the gold medal for trading brilliant insults. Our Americans have never developed the skill.

I worked with a couple of transplants, good times. One my first line manager, I'd sometimes send sensitive client communications to him for review. He'd always send it back with my zeds changed to "s"es.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:18 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You aren't kidding! Between the comments and the barrage of ads, getting news from an online source is, well...it sucks. I have started a digital subscription of my local paper. It has minimal ads (it loads looking like the actual "print" paper and you click on the story you want to read so the only ads you see are on the picture of the print paper, none in the articles.) and tells me what I need to know.

And civility online? The only place I see it is here on ER.org. Almost every other website that allows user comments/participation is nothing but a breeding ground for trolls and it's overwhelming. Besides using the internet for "house business and management" (bills/banks/utils/etc), I have found myself using it less and less for other activities. ER.org is about the only forum I participate in nowadays.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:40 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
That's one of the reasons. Another reason is that some media/news sites like to censor opposing viewpoints.
Yup I think that is the crux. Nothing worse than reading a news piece and then seeing 100s of comment refuting it. I am tempted to ignore the piece.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:43 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
He'd always send it back with my zeds changed to "s"es.
Just trying to make you more civilised? Must have thought you were worth the effort?
Old 02-25-2017, 04:14 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Just trying to make you more civilised? Must have thought you were worth the effort?
He was a heck of a great man. Lotta fun to be around even at 4:00AM.

He was particularly fond of telling folks about the first time we met. My first time in the UK, with my then manager in a hotel bar after both of us having a few pints, discussing our differing second amendment views.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:26 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
He'd always send it back with my zeds changed to "s"es.
Good thing you weren't a zoologist, (soologist?), or people would be asking "What the *** is a Sebra?"

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:37 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Yes Microsoft drives me crazy with their suggested corrections.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:52 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

As does my Galaxy (which explains some of my bizarre posts--but only some of them).