Which diet do you identify with?

timo2

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was taking a survey for my local food co-op, and this eye-opening question was on the survey. I guess I had no idea what all the options were!! (BTW, I would be a flexitarian, because it sounds cooler than the other diets.

[the choices are Ominivore, Vegetarian, Vegan, Pescetarian, Flexitarian, Paleo, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Other, Prefer not to Answer]

Attachments

• diets.jpg
    diets.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 140
Omnivore here.

Yeah the seafood diet, I see it I eat it.

How about the "I'll try anything once" diet. Leads to new sensations.

I follow the pizza diet. One pizza per day keeps the doctor away. That and don't eat anything green.

I know there are only a few comments so far, but I'm surprised by the responses. Definitely not the status quo. I would think plant-based or vegan would be less than 1% of the population.

As an interesting aside, I've been listening to this most rare footage of Nathan Pritikin. Just listen to his first lecture and realize what a brilliant man he was.

When he was diagnosed with heart disease, he was told not to run, eat the standard american diet, building collateral blood vessels was impossible and heart disease was incurable.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/podcast/nathan-pritikin/

Omnivore leaning toward flexitarian. When DS (vegan) is around, a reluctant vegan. It's a good thing he only visits once in a while.

I had to look up how flexitarian was different than omnivore. My interpretation is a flexitarian diet is a healthy omnivore diet. As in a diet that follows the USDA food pyramid or something similar. From what I've been reading, that means no fast food, no added sugar food or drinks, etc. It seems crazy to me that we have to have a different name for eating everything in moderation, but that's how we live these days.

Bears are omnivores. Imagine a bear in a fast food or doughnut shop. I guess that's what omnivore means anymore?

I know there are only a few comments so far, but I'm surprised by the responses. Definitely not the status quo. I would think plant-based or vegan would be less than 1% of the population.

As an interesting aside, I've been listening to this most rare footage of Nathan Pritikin. Just listen to his first lecture and realize what a brilliant man he was.

When he was diagnosed with heart disease, he was told not to run, eat the standard american diet, building collateral blood vessels was impossible and heart disease was incurable.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/podcast/nathan-pritikin/

We started watching videos by a doctor who is the grandson of one of Pritikin's first patients, Frances Gregor, and are giving a plant based diet a try -

“Frances Greger…arrived in Santa Barbara at one of Pritikin’s early sessions in a wheelchair. Mrs. Greger had heart disease, angina, and claudication; her condition was so bad she could no longer walk without great pain in her chest and legs. Within three weeks, though, she was not only out of her wheelchair but was walking ten miles a day.”

https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/heart-disease/

Vegetarian? Vegan? Pescetarian? Nope! None of these. Dinner tonight was a 10 oz grilled ribeye, and it was great.

Flexitarian? Nope! I didn't even know what this was so I Googled it. From healthline,
The Flexitarian Diet is a style of eating that encourages mostly plant-based foods while allowing meat and other animal products in moderation.
See above comments about ribeye. I don't think tonight's dinner was the slightest bit flexitarian.

Paleo? OK, here's what Google gives me as a definition of paleo:
a diet based on the types of foods presumed to have been eaten by early humans, consisting chiefly of meat, fish, vegetables, and fruit, and excluding dairy or grain products and processed food.
Well, this is closer. I eat little to no grain products or processed food; however I do not exclude them, and I absolutely do not exclude dairy.

Gluten-free? No way!

Dairy-free? No!!!

Omnivore? Yeah right, like you'd see me eating chocolate cake any day now. (no way! It's been years.)

So, by process of elimination, I'll choose the last option: Other.

I eat a low to low-moderate carb diet, with little to no processed food, sugar, or artificial sweeteners. I never drink alcoholic beverages or regular sodas, and no more than about one diet soda per month. No more than one cup of coffee in the morning (sob!).

Vegam at home, a little cheese at the countless community potlucks, and a fish taco on occasion.

Closest to Flexitarian. I also try to avoid carbs such as white bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc. My bloodwork results are mostly very good and I'm very happy at my current weight.

I'd also suggest that you supply definitions in the final version. I wasn't sure what flexitarian was till I looked it up after reading your post, and yet that's how I eat.

Last edited:
That’s sort of missing LCHF (low-carb high fat). Paleo doesn’t match because LCHF allows dairy. But LCHF avoids grains and limits starchy veggies and limited fruit in the strictest form. No processed foods. So I don’t see a match with the other options.

I follow "The Sensible Diet" ( Or, "Use The Brains and Common SENSE God gave you Diet" ): You don't need books or websites or specially prepared meals. Just eat good food and keep the Medicine Men away. Fairly simple. We all inherently know what is "real" food and what is not, yet some just don't care to use a little discipline and don't mind continuing to poison themselves with pills and bad choices. They like their daily BK or MC'D meals and their "Diet" (poison) Cokes so, BY-God they are going to have them!

Example: If you had advancing Type 2 diabetes and were told you could manage it with diet or just take Metformin (pills) to control your blood sugar instead, which would you choose?

I have friends with Type 2 that find it "too hard" to eat well so they delude themselves into thinking the pills and the doctor's visits are just fine. Meanwhile their diabetes advances with all the associated proven risks. Their BP and other parameters go out of whack and they generally don't feel well most of the time.

All because it's "too hard" to add a piece of fruit to their normal breakfast routine, or something equally as ignorant and foolish.

I will never understand many of the things people here on Earth choose as their path.

Bird Man

P.S. - I'm not a Monk or anything. I also enjoy a nice Egg McMuffin and a robust, full sugar, Coke now and again myself. I just keep it to 1-2 times/month. Not daily or weekly. Oh, and I chow down on those nice greasy Hash Browns while I'm at it. With added Salt no less....:)

P.P.S. - W2 and I seem to have the same basic philosophy...except I'd go 16-20 ounces on that steak.

Last edited:
I know there are only a few comments so far, but I'm surprised by the responses. Definitely not the status quo. I would think plant-based or vegan would be less than 1% of the population. ...

Do not be surprised, it means nothing. Between small sample size and being a self-selected 'poll', the results tell us nothing.

As an example, the members of the largest group (likely omnivore) are less likely to post, as they already know they are represented. For any accuracy, the overall population must be sampled - self-selection is not that.

Is there a term for a "second-degree vegetarian"? I limit my meat intake mostly to animals that are vegetarians, and that's good enough for me!

-ERD50

Is there a term for a "second-degree vegetarian"? I limit my meat intake mostly to animals that are vegetarians, and that's good enough for me!
-ERD50

How about omnivarian.

I'll call myself omnivarian by day, breatharian by night.

Last edited:
We cut our meat intake down a lot and upped our fish intake .We eat diary , limited carbs and almost no sugar or processed food . Whatever that diet is that is what we are .

Healthy eating diet. Less meat mainly because we do not have the same appetites that we used to. Lots of fresh fruit, salads (no greasy dressings) and veg. No fast food, very little junk food, no processed foods. We feel so much better for it.

I call myself an omnivore because there is no food group that I rule out.

I don't believe in not doing dairy products for example. Even as I am lactose-intolerant, I still eat aged cheese (with very low lactose level) to get calcium. Besides, cheese tastes good. I like meat, but also eat huge amount of salad. I drink no soda and do not eat sweets to limit calorie intake, so that I can eat rice and bread.

I try to emphasize the three basic food groups: salt, fat, and cabernet.

Real food as close to the way it came out of the ground or off the animal as is reasonable in this day and age. Strongly reduce added sugar. Limit highly processed foods of all kinds including but not limited to processed carbs, fake foods (vegan cheese for example) and most sugary drinks (don't drink you calories).

Back
Top Bottom