Join Early Retirement Today

Which ereader do you prefer?
Old 03-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Which ereader do you prefer?

I was using a libre aluratek ereader the other day and while I liked it. It kept shutting down the page every 45 seconds, kind of like a screensaver. It was no problem to turn back on you just had to push the power button and it came right back on. I was wondering if anyone here uses and ereader , which brand do you prefer and which format you think is the best. Kind of a pros and cons thing. thanks
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As much as I love like my iPad, it's not a good reader except indoors. If there's a better eReader than a black & white e-Ink Kindle or Nook, I don't know what it would be. You can't beat their readability or low cost/value. I have friends with Kindles who just love them! But we'll see what others say...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Love my ipad for reading books. However, I don't read it outside, so don't know about that aspect.
dmdunca44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

I had the Nook and I now have a Kindle Fire . They both have their good points . I like Barnes & Noble's site better for book reviews and recommendations . I love my Kindle Fire because it offers so much more than just an e reader . Plus now that the library downloads automatically to the Kindle it is just one more plus . The negative about the Kindle is you never know what page you are on .They are both the same size so ideal to throw in a purse and go.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

There are almost as many different opinions on this question as there are people.

As for my opinion, I like reading on my e-ink Kindle. My favorite e-ink Kindle is the one they had just before the three new Kindles came out - - some call it a Kindle 3, others the keyboard Kindle.

I have an iPad but don't read on it much. IMO e-ink is much easier on my eyes than back-lit screens. YMMV

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought the basic Nook because it was not 'back-lit' and was the best choice for being able to read outside. I know Kindle makes a similar version but I understand it comes with some built in on-screen advertising that I didn't want to have to look at. I have been happy with the choice.
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

The Nook is my favorite. I like the e-ink screen which is very readable in the sunlight. The battery life is very long between charges. I have popped a SD card into it and I can load the card with PDF files such as the user manual for the gadgets I take with me on vacation. I also make PDF files of other vacation information and load that onto the Nook SD card. That is very convenient.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

DW has a Nook (eInk) and I have a Nook Color (backlit tablet). I prefer the Color by far. It is great in a dim room and is fine outside except in direct sunshine. I can also check email, browse, show photos, watch movies, etc. Pretty nice.

We are getting a new iPad on Monday -- that may bump the Nook color to the curb unless DW takes it from me.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Other factors to consider is the eBook selection, pricing and the file formats. Amazon has a proprietary one that can be converted but it might be an extra step you don't want to deal with.

Public libraries are lending out eBooks now (though popular books at big libraries have long waiting lists of people waiting to borrow them). Not sure which eReader works better with public library eBooks.

Finally, high-resolution screen on iPad may be a factor to consider too.

Generally, tablets offer color (if you have to read anything with color) and of course all kinds of other software, including good web browsing. Dedicated e-readers are lighter, cheaper have longer-lasting batteries, limited functionality outside of opening eBooks.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post

Public libraries are lending out eBooks now (though popular books at big libraries have long waiting lists of people waiting to borrow them). Not sure which eReader works better with public library eBooks.
IMO the kindle is the easiest to use with library books . You just pick out the book check out and it loads directly to my Kindle . I have also found library books readily available . Sometimes I have gotten creative and read books I usually would not choose but I have never been disappointed .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I was using a libre aluratek ereader the other day and while I liked it. It kept shutting down the page every 45 seconds, kind of like a screensaver. It was no problem to turn back on you just had to push the power button and it came right back on. I was wondering if anyone here uses and ereader , which brand do you prefer and which format you think is the best. Kind of a pros and cons thing. thanks
The ereader you used might have a setting to avoid that shut down. The Kindle Fire I bought this month has a sleep setting.

The Kindle Fire price at $200 is pretty good for color. I'm planning on getting a library card in another larger city (within our state) to access their ebooks. Part of the reason was price (cheaper then Ipad) and part was vacation portability + internet (wifi) access. Would work good as a travel guide and for city maps too. Some of the free apps are good but the free books (except maybe classics) are not really to my tastes.

We are planning on getting a Kindle Touch (black & white) for a second reader and for outdoor viewing in bright light.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Amazon just listed refurbished Kindle Fires for $169, free two day shipping and a one year guarantee:

Amazon.com: Used and New: Kindle Fire, Full Color 7" Multi-touch Display, Wi-Fi
Old 03-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a Nook Simple Touch and it does what I want: it's an e-reader and that's all. I have read books from the library and have downloaded free books from B&N. For a review of the different ereaders and opinions, you can also go to MobileRead Forums and check out the forum: "Which one should I buy?"

The advantage to the Nook is that if you are near a B&N store you can always take your device into the store and get help with it. B&N also has a book group community on it's website. On Fridays, B&N offers a free book, but several contributors pull lists of free books together and post them on the blog on the B&N site. Some are books that have been in print and the publisher is trying to generate interest in the author by putting earlier books out as free for a short time.

That said, however, ebooks at B&N are more costly that the same ebook at Amazon. Something to keep in mind.

-- Rita
Old 03-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Love my Kindle for most of my reading! Also downloaded the Nook app on my tablet so I could read library books that were only available in the Nook version.
KiraC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

You can also download a free Kindle app for the iPad, I have 4 free Kindle books I got that way. But I still don't recommend the iPad as a dedicated reader, there are much better more cost effective choices for that standalone purpose.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

We have 2 e-ink Kindles, and a kindle Fire and truthfully, have not bought one paper book since I have become "kindleized". Only problem i have occassionally had, is a few books (even some "best sellers") are not always converted to kindle format correctly, but has been only a minor problem - more prevalent on older books that were converted using OCR software and not proofread well. But if you think about it, all of us have booght paper books too that have had flaws as well, so this is no different.

I like the fact also that I can use my Kindle application on my PCs, as well as my Windows Phone, to read a book, if I happen to forget my Kindle.

But I would never switch away from using e-readers now, the only non-kindle format media I have bought at all, is a few magazines.

I do have a gripe that not all of the old books I want to re-read are yet available in Kindle format, but that seems to be happening (too slowly from me) - for example, not all of James Michner's books, and other great authors, have all their books available in ereader format.

I have not tried any of the other formats since i use Amazon.com so much for other things too (like movie downloads, MP3's etc, Kindle free reading library), and been happy with their service.
grizzlyff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:32 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

This is a constantly changing technology so whatever is a favourite now might be different in 6 months.

I have a Kindle 2 and love it for reading, but that's all it does. As I live in Canada, it does not (yet) allow me to download library books. This means I am now reading free classics on my Kindle (currently, Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens).

I have an iPad 2 and I can download library books to it for free using Overdrive Media Console, which is great. Also, with the Kindle app, I can read all the Kindle books that I have purchased in colour. The clarity is excellent and you can change the appearance of the pages to sepia if you wish. Magazine subscriptions are superb on the iPad: a better experience than reading the paper magazine. The backlit iPad screen is a little more tiring on the eyes and it does not do well in glaring sunlight.

I have also downloaded Overdrive Media Console to my Blackberry Torch and I have read one book on it (a fast read). I was surprised at how easy it was.

My ideal ereader would allow downloading of library books and purchased books, would use eInk in colour, and would be as portable as the Kindle. I'm sure someone's working on it.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

My next reader will be a kindle (non-Fire).

My Sony Reader recently bricked itself. Even when it was working, it had tethering issues- you had to do EVERYTHING through the assigned PC.

Also, I received some SONY branded gift cards so I could buy books on my SONY Reader- only to find out you have to have SONY READER gift cards, b/c SONY cards don't work on the SONY READER store!
ejw93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Had an original Nook (e-ink) and loved it, now I use my iPad with both Nook and Kindle software. I also use Overdrive to download books direct from the library. I was a bit worried about the backlight but find it's not a big deal, plus I love full color magazines on the iPad.
ShortInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:28 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Have both a kindle 3 (for reading) and kindle fire (travel, plus now addicted to scrabble). As others say, e-ink is superb for reading plus like the easy "holdability" of the kindle 3 compared to a heavier device or even a book. An unexpectedly drawback of trying to read on the kindle fire is that the glossy screen held up to your face in sunlight reflects every single neck wrinkle. A real downer.
EveryLady is offline   Reply With Quote