Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
and I enjoy the exercise even if I'm not wild about mowing.
LBYM and all too...I won't pay for any service I can (learn) do for myself and am physically able, cost is secondary. YMMV
I used to feel the same way, but now I'd rather get my exercise in an air conditioned gym and playing sr softball. Anyway, our new digs has all yard work included in HOA fee.

As for the Honda mowers, I've had a few over a 30 year period and believe both were aluminum deck models. DS inherited my last one.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Weren't you planning on relocating at some point, or has that changed? Are you sure this new mower can cut it at your new location?
Yes, good point, and one of the reasons I am leaning toward the more expensive model with the bigger engine. When we moved to FL 20+ years ago I had to replace my otherwise adequate 'Yankee' mower, it wouldn't begin to cut the green wire St Augustine grass we had on FL. That's where I bought the John Deere mower I am just now replacing. St Augustine reminded me of what we called 'Johnson grass' growing up in Texas, that we tried to weed out. I swear that stuff was one plant with runners that would cover an entire lot, not unlike Johnson grass.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes we call it crab grass here in Ontario. Definitely a weed. I have just the regular push Honda mower - not self-propelled. I have an acre but only grass on maybe a quarter of it. I still like the exercise. I love Hondas of all varieties but one of the things that I don't like about the mowers is that they have height settings that seem to be designed for golf courses. I had a Toro prior to the Honda and am sure that the Toro could be set up at least an inch higher. My mom still has a Toro and if the grass got too long, I used to borrow it for a first cut. A couple of weeks ago, I picked up a used Toro as a back-up for this reason.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Both the Honda mowers I am looking at can be set as high as 4" - seems plenty 'tall' to me. I've been setting my mower at 3" for as long as I can remember, so the Honda will work for me.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:36 PM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
Yes, good point, and one of the reasons I am leaning toward the more expensive model with the bigger engine. When we moved to FL 20+ years ago I had to replace my otherwise adequate 'Yankee' mower, it wouldn't begin to cut the green wire St Augustine grass we had on FL. That's where I bought the John Deere mower I am just now replacing. St Augustine reminded me of what we called 'Johnson grass' growing up in Texas, that we tried to weed out. I swear that stuff was one plant with runners that would cover an entire lot, not unlike Johnson grass.
So, a condo or HOA is definitely out of the question?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:11 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
So, a condo or HOA is definitely out of the question?
Condo is out, and I'd like to avoid a "full service" HOA just cause I'm cheap and welcome some exercise. When we're physically no longer able, we'll just hire someone (like my parents had to resort to as they aged). Good question though...

Old 05-21-2014, 03:30 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I hired a lawn crew to do mine this summer.

I remember some tech guy saying "Linux is only free if your time has no value".

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:49 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had to cut grass when I was living at home in high school and college and hated it. Made myself a promise I'd never cut grass again, and except for a couple times at a house I used to rent with a VERY small yard, I never have, and never will again.

Lawn services for me, thank-you-very-much. I don't mind other types of gardening, like trimming bushes, planting, raking, etc. But I refuse to cut grass. Too many bad memories of slaving away in the hot Alabama sun as a teenager. Never again.
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
I had to cut grass when I was living at home in high school and college and hated it. Made myself a promise I'd never cut grass again, and except for a couple times at a house I used to rent with a VERY small yard, I never have, and never will again.

Lawn services for me, thank-you-very-much. I don't mind other types of gardening, like trimming bushes, planting, raking, etc. But I refuse to cut grass. Too many bad memories of slaving away in the hot Alabama sun as a teenager. Never again.
Not trying to derail this, but I do not mind mowing grass at all. When I lived in KY and had 3 acres of grass to mow, I would use that time on the tractor mower to do a lot of planning and figuring things out.

Now in NM I have hardly any lawn, too harsh of weather and can;t afford to keep a bunch of grass watered up!

Back to OP, I think the bigger mower is better, but the smaller one will be more than adequate. Any Honda mower is a good quality choice. It comes down to how much extra features you want, the hydrostatic drive seems to be worth the upgrade.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:02 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Right or wrong, I just splurged on a Honda HRX217HYA ($700) even though it's probably more mower than I needed, got a little off for Mem Day weekend sale.

I am really looking forward to mowing the lawn tomorrow - though I am positive that will wear off (probably within a week).

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:23 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am really looking forward to mowing the lawn tomorrow - though I am positive that will wear off (probably within a week).

Oh, I don't know. I bought my car in 2003 and it still makes me feel good. Congratulations on the new baby!

Old 05-22-2014, 01:31 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations, fits my thoughts on mowing, better to have a bigger machine.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:10 PM   #33

I love mowing the grass. Used to pull the lawnmower behind my bike as a kid to get to the various neighborhood lawns that I cut. Smell of fresh cut grass and a sense of accomplishment. Dream job would probably have been groundskeeper at Fenway or better yet, greenskeeper at Augusta!!
Old 05-22-2014, 02:21 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Dream job would probably have been groundskeeper at Fenway or better yet, greenskeeper at Augusta!!

Speaking as a Cubs and Red Sox fan, you could have kept the grass neatly trimmed so the ball would skip through my legs at first base

Old 05-22-2014, 07:30 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Since Midpack is all set, perhaps someone can guide me. The steel deck on my 5-7 year old Troy Bilt FWD mower rusted completely through. My yard is hilly with a lot of exposed ledge rock. Small areas where you can't just go back and forth. Lots of changing directions, pivoting, etc. With the old mower I could just push down the handle to pivot on the two large rear wheels without disengaging the front drive.

Many are recommending RWD now but then I lose the large rear wheels. How is the Honda for backing up and frequent changes of direction?

Has anyone tried the new Husqvarna AWD machines? Any other thoughts?
woodguy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:09 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Speaking as a Cubs and Red Sox fan, you could have kept the grass neatly trimmed so the ball would skip through my legs at first base
To this day, I still wonder why McNamara didn't put Stapleton in at first once the Red Sox had the lead. Curse of the Bambino!
Old 05-22-2014, 08:37 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodguy00 View Post
Many are recommending RWD now but then I lose the large rear wheels. How is the Honda for backing up and frequent changes of direction?

I borrowed a RWD mower to try it a few seasons ago. Didn't like it at all, a real pain to make turns ( or I just couldn't get used to it ). Supposed to get better traction slopes but I couldn't ell much difference.

I had a 12yr old WalMart murray that the deck actually rusted and broke apart last year. It only cost about $150, I replaced it with craftsman when they were on sale.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:25 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodguy00 View Post
Since Midpack is all set, perhaps someone can guide me. The steel deck on my 5-7 year old Troy Bilt FWD mower rusted completely through. My yard is hilly with a lot of exposed ledge rock. Small areas where you can't just go back and forth. Lots of changing directions, pivoting, etc. With the old mower I could just push down the handle to pivot on the two large rear wheels without disengaging the front drive.

Has anyone tried the new Husqvarna AWD machines? Any other thoughts?

Too bad about Troy-Bilt. They used to be top of the line, but that was before MTD turned them into a second-tier discount store product.

Ariens makes a quality mower with a 14-gauge deck and front caster wheels, which make a small mower very maneuverable. Expensive, but top quality.

I have a Troy-Bilt (a 33-inch Wide Cut) that I bought 22 years ago. Still going strong.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:44 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

There are certainly exceptions, but more often than not it seems you get what you pay for. YMMV

Old 05-23-2014, 10:46 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Right or wrong, I just splurged on a Honda HRX217HYA ($700) even though it's probably more mower than I needed, got a little off for Mem Day weekend sale.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I was late to the thread but was going to respond that I am a fan of all things Honda and I would have bought the $400 model, but if I had your money I would have bought the $700 model.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote