Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2016, 09:15 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
+1 to finding a better apartment (or call the police on the noise makers and complain to the management if it is residents).

Purchasing a house should not be a reactionary event IMHO. Stressful enough under normal circumstances.

-gauss
The apartment i'm in now was just a place to stay while I waited for my condo to sell and while I looked for a house to by. Now that my condo is sold and I found a house that has everything I was looking for, there is no reason to stay in the apartment.
__________________

__________________
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2016, 09:19 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ivinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,006
I understand you are a grownup and can make your own choices, as far as selling your condo it wasn't that long ago you were seriously considering buying a 2nd unit in the same building for investment purposes. (if I have that wrong I apologize). So at your income and nest egg level wrong choices can really hurt.
__________________

__________________
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:25 AM   #23
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,334
As for what to sell to get the money to buy the house, I don't think it matters.

The reason it doesn't matter, is that you are probably going to have to rebalance at some point anyway so you will end selling some of everything (although maybe in a different account with different tax advantages).
__________________
Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself; do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.

― B. Lee








W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:30 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,307
You don't have to say what you do.
Since work pays for your stay when you work, that is good, and the house purchase makes sense (as does renting an apt).

Your bad decision to not diversify your house sale proceeds and put it into a gamble is unfortunate and shows the bad side of non-diversification for other readers.

Since you chose not to work more, you are limited in choices, so RunningBum has given you good spending advice.
__________________
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:31 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.
CaliKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Cali
Posts: 513
but is almost certain to go up in the next year

Really!? My crystal ball is never so clear on an investment. It's generally more a 50/50 proposition.
__________________
______________________
Hoping to get out around September 1, 2022... I hope, I hope, I hope. Until then off to work I go....
CaliKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:42 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Your bad decision to not diversify your house sale proceeds and put it into a gamble is unfortunate and shows the bad side of non-diversification for other readers.
I agree diversification is the better option. One week after I bought the stock it was up about 15%. A week after that the company made an unexplainable decision to cut the dividend by 60% which sent the stock plummeting by 40%. The EPS is much more than needed to cover the dividend before the cut so there was no reason to cut the dividend by any amount let alone 60%. That being said, it was a risk and it didn't pay off.
__________________
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:43 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Dash man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Limerick
Posts: 1,602
A lot of people have given you things to think about. If I were in your situation I'd dump the stock to buy the house, take the tax loss, and reevaluate your future investments.


Enjoying life!
__________________
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:51 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,309
Weren't you expecting to take over your parents' home in the near future because of your father's disability? Is the housing market strong where you are, in case you have second thoughts about the house you now want to buy and want to sell it?
__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:19 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Weren't you expecting to take over your parents' home in the near future because of your father's disability? Is the housing market strong where you are, in case you have second thoughts about the house you now want to buy and want to sell it?
If my Dad needs to go to the VA hospital my Mom will probably still stay in the house rather than share a small room with my Dad. My mom will likely live for at least a couple more decades.

The housing market isn't as volatile around here as most places. During the recession values only went down maybe 10% and are now up and climbing slowly. With my 20% down payment there is almost no chance i'll have to worry about ever being underwater with the mortgage.
__________________
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:06 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 125
Either choice will work for you and if you really love that stock that much Runningbums option seems fine. My only point is that stock is only worth the going rate, it may go up and it may go down,its worth whats its worth not what you think it may be worth. If this is your "perfect" house and you have many years of happiness in it then do it.
__________________
highlow65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:33 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,946
Two points of wisdom with respect to investing come to mind: you can't be afraid to take a profit, and you can't be afraid to take a loss. Not sure of the tax ramifications, but maybe just pick your poison or if your gut doesn't tell you one or the other, maybe do some of each.
__________________
Doing things today that others won't, to do things tomorrow that others can't. Of course I'm referring to workouts, not robbing banks.
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:41 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
If my Dad needs to go to the VA hospital my Mom will probably still stay in the house rather than share a small room with my Dad. My mom will likely live for at least a couple more decades.

The housing market isn't as volatile around here as most places. During the recession values only went down maybe 10% and are now up and climbing slowly. With my 20% down payment there is almost no chance i'll have to worry about ever being underwater with the mortgage.
Ah, I get it. Hope you don't mind all of us giving you advice!
__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:51 PM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Ah, I get it. Hope you don't mind all of us giving you advice!
Don't mind at all. As long as you don't mind if I don't follow it.

I value all opinions even if I don't agree.
__________________
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:42 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Amethyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,605
Aaron...I know how much the noisy neighbors bother you. Are you sure you'll not run into another nuisance with house neighbors? Home ownership is so darned risky, especially since you are on the road a lot. I am hoping for quieter digs for you, and
maybe the others are right in advising you to take another look at a rental...house.
__________________
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success – to be able to spend your life in your own way.’ Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:52 PM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Aaron...I know how much the noisy neighbors bother you. Are you sure you'll not run into another nuisance with house neighbors? Home ownership is so darned risky, especially since you are on the road a lot. I am hoping for quieter digs for you, and
maybe the others are right in advising you to take another look at a rental...house.
One of the main things I was looking for in a house is a finished room in the basement. This house has a new finished room in the basement. It's not officially a bedroom because there's no egress but that's a good thing to me because there's no way for noise to get in. i will have a bedroom upstairs and in the basement. I have spoken to several neighbors to see who lives near me and all have said it's quiet. I seems like it should be quiet. If it's loud, I go to the basement. It's a full basement high enough for me to stand straight up(6'6") so not a problem at all going down there.
__________________
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:53 AM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,332
Like you said, you'll do what you please, which is the smart approach.

So, do what you please, and may the gods smile on you.

Ha
__________________
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:41 AM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Amethyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,605
Oh, good. You are very logical and I figured you'd have thought that all the way through. Hoping it works out for you - let us know if/when you buy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
One of the main things I was looking for in a house is a finished room in the basement. This house has a new finished room in the basement. It's not officially a bedroom because there's no egress but that's a good thing to me because there's no way for noise to get in. i will have a bedroom upstairs and in the basement. I have spoken to several neighbors to see who lives near me and all have said it's quiet. I seems like it should be quiet. If it's loud, I go to the basement. It's a full basement high enough for me to stand straight up(6'6") so not a problem at all going down there.
__________________
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success – to be able to spend your life in your own way.’ Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 02:22 PM   #38
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Oh, good. You are very logical and I figured you'd have thought that all the way through. Hoping it works out for you - let us know if/when you buy!
I just realized I never updated this thread. I closed on the house on Oct 15th and all has been good since then. I funded the down payment/closing costs by selling part of my position in that stock. My expenses will be higher than i'm used to but should still stay at or under $20K/yr unless I do significant work on the house. This will be an expensive winter for heat. The house needs attic insulation and other weather proofing which I didn't get to and now won't be able to get to until spring. All things considered I am and should continue to be much happier in this house than when I shared walls with others.
__________________
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 02:49 PM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 8,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
This will be an expensive winter for heat. The house needs attic insulation and other weather proofing which I didn't get to and now won't be able to get to until spring.
Until you can get around to that, you might consider plastic sheeting over windows (on the inside). Some people think this is tacky, but it does work.

https://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm...plying_plastic
__________________
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 02:56 PM   #40
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Until you can get around to that, you might consider plastic sheeting over windows (on the inside). Some people think this is tacky, but it does work.

https://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm...plying_plastic
I did that last winter when I was in my condo but the windows in the house are all new so shouldn't be necessary. The problem is lack of attic insulation(4-5 inches instead of 15-ish) and poorly insulated basement. Also the door going from house to attached garage needs weather stripping at least. I may need a different door in that location. I can't afford to do everything at once so it'll just have to be a little at a time.
__________________

__________________
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Less is more; Living in less than 1,000 sq ft Frugalityisthenewblack Other topics 43 09-25-2010 01:52 AM
Income: More is less? Less is more? Sam FIRE and Money 9 08-19-2006 07:01 PM
Is google becoming less and less useful for searches or what? cute fuzzy bunny Other topics 15 03-03-2006 11:26 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:43 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.