Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-15-2016, 09:15 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
+1 to finding a better apartment (or call the police on the noise makers and complain to the management if it is residents).

Purchasing a house should not be a reactionary event IMHO. Stressful enough under normal circumstances.

-gauss
The apartment i'm in now was just a place to stay while I waited for my condo to sell and while I looked for a house to by. Now that my condo is sold and I found a house that has everything I was looking for, there is no reason to stay in the apartment.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2016, 09:19 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I understand you are a grownup and can make your own choices, as far as selling your condo it wasn't that long ago you were seriously considering buying a 2nd unit in the same building for investment purposes. (if I have that wrong I apologize). So at your income and nest egg level wrong choices can really hurt.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:25 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

As for what to sell to get the money to buy the house, I don't think it matters.

The reason it doesn't matter, is that you are probably going to have to rebalance at some point anyway so you will end selling some of everything (although maybe in a different account with different tax advantages).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:30 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
You don't have to say what you do.
Since work pays for your stay when you work, that is good, and the house purchase makes sense (as does renting an apt).

Your bad decision to not diversify your house sale proceeds and put it into a gamble is unfortunate and shows the bad side of non-diversification for other readers.

Since you chose not to work more, you are limited in choices, so RunningBum has given you good spending advice.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:31 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

but is almost certain to go up in the next year

Really!? My crystal ball is never so clear on an investment. It's generally more a 50/50 proposition.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:42 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Your bad decision to not diversify your house sale proceeds and put it into a gamble is unfortunate and shows the bad side of non-diversification for other readers.
I agree diversification is the better option. One week after I bought the stock it was up about 15%. A week after that the company made an unexplainable decision to cut the dividend by 60% which sent the stock plummeting by 40%. The EPS is much more than needed to cover the dividend before the cut so there was no reason to cut the dividend by any amount let alone 60%. That being said, it was a risk and it didn't pay off.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:43 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

A lot of people have given you things to think about. If I were in your situation I'd dump the stock to buy the house, take the tax loss, and reevaluate your future investments.

Enjoying life!
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:51 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Weren't you expecting to take over your parents' home in the near future because of your father's disability? Is the housing market strong where you are, in case you have second thoughts about the house you now want to buy and want to sell it?
Old 09-15-2016, 11:19 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Weren't you expecting to take over your parents' home in the near future because of your father's disability? Is the housing market strong where you are, in case you have second thoughts about the house you now want to buy and want to sell it?
If my Dad needs to go to the VA hospital my Mom will probably still stay in the house rather than share a small room with my Dad. My mom will likely live for at least a couple more decades.

The housing market isn't as volatile around here as most places. During the recession values only went down maybe 10% and are now up and climbing slowly. With my 20% down payment there is almost no chance i'll have to worry about ever being underwater with the mortgage.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:06 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Either choice will work for you and if you really love that stock that much Runningbums option seems fine. My only point is that stock is only worth the going rate, it may go up and it may go down,its worth whats its worth not what you think it may be worth. If this is your "perfect" house and you have many years of happiness in it then do it.
highlow65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:33 PM   #31
gone traveling

Two points of wisdom with respect to investing come to mind: you can't be afraid to take a profit, and you can't be afraid to take a loss. Not sure of the tax ramifications, but maybe just pick your poison or if your gut doesn't tell you one or the other, maybe do some of each.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:41 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
If my Dad needs to go to the VA hospital my Mom will probably still stay in the house rather than share a small room with my Dad. My mom will likely live for at least a couple more decades.

The housing market isn't as volatile around here as most places. During the recession values only went down maybe 10% and are now up and climbing slowly. With my 20% down payment there is almost no chance i'll have to worry about ever being underwater with the mortgage.
Ah, I get it. Hope you don't mind all of us giving you advice!
Old 09-15-2016, 04:51 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Ah, I get it. Hope you don't mind all of us giving you advice!
Don't mind at all. As long as you don't mind if I don't follow it.

I value all opinions even if I don't agree.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:42 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Aaron...I know how much the noisy neighbors bother you. Are you sure you'll not run into another nuisance with house neighbors? Home ownership is so darned risky, especially since you are on the road a lot. I am hoping for quieter digs for you, and
maybe the others are right in advising you to take another look at a rental...house.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:52 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Aaron...I know how much the noisy neighbors bother you. Are you sure you'll not run into another nuisance with house neighbors? Home ownership is so darned risky, especially since you are on the road a lot. I am hoping for quieter digs for you, and
maybe the others are right in advising you to take another look at a rental...house.
One of the main things I was looking for in a house is a finished room in the basement. This house has a new finished room in the basement. It's not officially a bedroom because there's no egress but that's a good thing to me because there's no way for noise to get in. i will have a bedroom upstairs and in the basement. I have spoken to several neighbors to see who lives near me and all have said it's quiet. I seems like it should be quiet. If it's loud, I go to the basement. It's a full basement high enough for me to stand straight up(6'6") so not a problem at all going down there.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:53 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Like you said, you'll do what you please, which is the smart approach.

So, do what you please, and may the gods smile on you.

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:41 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Oh, good. You are very logical and I figured you'd have thought that all the way through. Hoping it works out for you - let us know if/when you buy!

Quote:
One of the main things I was looking for in a house is a finished room in the basement. This house has a new finished room in the basement. It's not officially a bedroom because there's no egress but that's a good thing to me because there's no way for noise to get in. i will have a bedroom upstairs and in the basement. I have spoken to several neighbors to see who lives near me and all have said it's quiet. I seems like it should be quiet. If it's loud, I go to the basement. It's a full basement high enough for me to stand straight up(6'6") so not a problem at all going down there.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 02:22 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Oh, good. You are very logical and I figured you'd have thought that all the way through. Hoping it works out for you - let us know if/when you buy!
I just realized I never updated this thread. I closed on the house on Oct 15th and all has been good since then. I funded the down payment/closing costs by selling part of my position in that stock. My expenses will be higher than i'm used to but should still stay at or under $20K/yr unless I do significant work on the house. This will be an expensive winter for heat. The house needs attic insulation and other weather proofing which I didn't get to and now won't be able to get to until spring. All things considered I am and should continue to be much happier in this house than when I shared walls with others.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:49 PM   #39

Quote:
This will be an expensive winter for heat. The house needs attic insulation and other weather proofing which I didn't get to and now won't be able to get to until spring.
Until you can get around to that, you might consider plastic sheeting over windows (on the inside). Some people think this is tacky, but it does work.

https://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm...plying_plastic
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 02:56 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Until you can get around to that, you might consider plastic sheeting over windows (on the inside). Some people think this is tacky, but it does work.

https://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm...plying_plastic
I did that last winter when I was in my condo but the windows in the house are all new so shouldn't be necessary. The problem is lack of attic insulation(4-5 inches instead of 15-ish) and poorly insulated basement. Also the door going from house to attached garage needs weather stripping at least. I may need a different door in that location. I can't afford to do everything at once so it'll just have to be a little at a time.