Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: A lot has been said recently about right wingers and left wingers dominating the board, rather than
Republican 4 of 4 26 27.08%
Republican 3 of 4 10 10.42%
Split 2 to 2 7 7.29%
Democrat 3 of 4 7 7.29%
Democrat 4 of 4 39 40.63%
Other party mostly/all 5 5.21%
Did not vote 2 2.08%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Which party did you vote for in the last 4 Presidential Elections?
Old 01-17-2007, 11:34 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas
I was just pointing out what I thought was something interesting. That, and while I genuinely respect your superior knowledge about many things financial, I'm not such a fan when you refer to your fellow Americans as "the unwashed masses".
You prefer "Merkins?"

Sorry, but most people cannot be botheed to think things through. When I start seeing evidence that is no longer the case, I will be more respectful. In the meantime, I imagine I will be the chimpanzee throwing you-know-what.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2007, 11:37 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Unfortunately, the only people you refer to as unwashed are Republicans. Everyone else it seems has taken the time to think things through. That is the same lack of reasoning the ultra-right uses. You know the one that goes, "If you disagree with me you're stupid." :

Old 01-17-2007, 11:39 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
You prefer "Merkins?"
Always been interested in your use of this term:

mer·kin Pronunciation (műrkn)
n.
A pubic wig for women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F M All
Is Gabe giving you a hard time today
"You're working hard to put food on your family." —Presidential candidate George W. Bush, Nashua, N.H., Jan. 27, 2000

And with regards to Bush and Lincoln, there is an active marketing campaign being put forward by the white house and its staff/advisors to compare Bush to one of our GOOD presidents, good old abe. Believe it or not. Both are being portrayed as "war time presidents who were not popular while they were in office but whose sacrifices were recognized years later".

Perhaps time will bear out this comparison, but I sincerely doubt it.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:43 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire
Unfortunately, the only people you refer to as unwashed are Republicans. Everyone else it seems has taken the time to think things through. That is the same lack of reasoning the ultra-right uses. You know the one that goes, "If you disagree with me you're stupid." :
Nope. Wrongo. There are plenty of people of all political stripes that qualify under the heading of "unwashed masses." Examples:

- "We've got to get that Saddam Hussein. After all, he was in volved in 9/11." :
- "Gee, gas is cheap, so I will go out and buy a new Hummer with a 7 year car loan. Oh yeah, I guess I will have to roll my negative equity into that new loan, too."
- "Let's buy the bigger house we can't really afford. After all, our home is our most important investment and RE only goes up."
- "Extended Warranty? How can I lose?"
- "The president is right about Iran. Let's bomb them back to the stone ages."

I've heard the above or similar uttered by fools of all parties in the past few years. Fools are fools, regardless of party affiliation.

- Will Rogers
Old 01-17-2007, 11:45 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n Fuzzy Bunny
And with regards to Bush and Lincoln, there is an active marketing campaign being put forward by the white house and its staff/advisors to compare Bush to one of our GOOD presidents, good old abe. Believe it or not. Both are being portrayed as "war time presidents who were not popular while they were in office but whose sacrifices were recognized years later".

Perhaps time will bear out this comparison, but I sincerely doubt it.
Where's that puke emoticon?

Merkin, short for 'Merican, sort for American. It is a pollite way to compare my countrymen to something unmentionable.

- Will Rogers
Old 01-17-2007, 11:50 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

So we're all fake pubic wigs required by turn of the century strip clubs who objected to shaved nether regions on women?

Hmmm...

This changes everything.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:08 PM   #67

Quote:
Nope. Wrongo. There are plenty of people of all political stripes that qualify under the heading of "unwashed masses." Examples:

- "We've got to get that Saddam Hussein. After all, he was in volved in 9/11." :
- "Gee, gas is cheap, so I will go out and buy a new Hummer with a 7 year car loan. Oh yeah, I guess I will have to roll my negative equity into that new loan, too."
- "Let's buy the bigger house we can't really afford. After all, our home is our most important investment and RE only goes up."
- "Extended Warranty? How can I lose?"
- "The president is right about Iran. Let's bomb them back to the stone ages."

I've heard the above or similar uttered by fools of all parties in the past few years. Fools are fools, regardless of party affiliation.
After reviewing your recent posts and recalling past posts from memory, I'm not buying it. I'm also not going to comment on this again to avoid having this thread closed.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:14 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire
After reviewing your recent posts and recalling past posts from memory, I'm not buying it. I'm also not going to comment on this again to avoid having this thread closed.
Hey, is it my fault that the Rethuglicans have succeeded in attracting more of the idiots in the last few years? But its not like they have a monopoly on the trade.

Just think of me as carrying on the tradition of HL Mencken's disdain for his fellow Merkin. I should hope to be 1/10th as amusing.

- Will Rogers
Old 01-17-2007, 12:34 PM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Anyone who passes that test is hated by the unwashed masses.
I believe what Brewer is alluding to is that it is not fashionable, in the USA
today, to be perceived as "too smart". In particular, in the 2000 Presidential
election and its aftermath, there was a lot of talk that people did not vote for
Gore because he was too smart, he made people uncomfortable because he
seemed so smart, and GW Bush was really the guy you would want to go out
and have a beer with.

This, I believe, is a truly disturbing trend in our society. I think it is not un-related
to the declining number of science and engineering graduates with its obvious
effects on economic competitiveness. Hey, I admit to enjoying things like "Dumb
and Dumber", "The Jerk", etc. But when we're talking about the world's toughest
job ...

As far as GW Bush vs. Lincoln, I DO see Leonidas' point. I think it's possible that
20 years from now Iraq will be a flourishing liberal democracy, a beacon of freedom
to the people of that region, etc. But I think it's extremely unlikely. I say we let
Bush have his troop increase, because really the only way to stop it is to cut off
funding and that could hurt the troops already there. But, if it doesn't work, I say
impeach the jackass.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:46 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford
In particular, in the 2000 Presidential
election and its aftermath, there was a lot of talk that people did not vote for
Gore because he was too smart, he made people uncomfortable because he
seemed so smart,
Not exactly......... Ole Al made people uncomfortable because he was so arrogant.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:56 PM   #71
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Not exactly......... Ole Al made people uncomfortable because he was so arrogant.
Good point. One fewer of those big sighs during that debate,
and we would have been spared the Bush presidency.

Of course, who can really blame him ? I saw this all as a poorly
concealed feeling of "how can you SERIOUSLY consider voting for
this moron [instead of me] ?"

Old 01-17-2007, 01:05 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Heh, if you think he was arrogant back then, imagine how he must be now that he has been proven right over and over and over...

- Will Rogers
Old 01-17-2007, 01:09 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Heh, if you think he was arrogant back then, imagine how he must be now that he has been proven right over and over and over...
Yeah, I agree. Too bad he had arrogance as a character flaw as it cost him a lot of votes. I know he tried very hard to hide it. A smart guy, but he rubbed some people the wrong way even though he was making an effort not to. He just couldn't help it.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:25 PM   #74

Confidence and self-assurance look almost exactly like arrogance. They might not have identical definitions, but they are surely on the same page. Yet Bush supporters almost always say that one of the things they admire about Bush is his confidence and self-assurance. I have to tell you, it looks like arrogance to me.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:23 PM   #75

Yeah, and thank God that Al Gore invented the internet or else we'd all be writing this stuff out in longhand & mailing it to each other!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:27 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb
Yeah, and thank God that Al Gore invented the internet or else we'd all be writing this stuff out in longhand & mailing it to each other!
The laugh icons may be indicating you know this already, but I've always found this particular neo-con spin very interesting. Al Gore, of course, never claimed to have invented the internet. During an interview about his service in Congress, he stated that he "took the initiative to create the internet." While some ambiguity exists in this statement, taken incontext he was simply saying that he provided legislative support to support the internet. Most members of Congress during that time readily admit that Al Gore was a leading proponent of the internet legislation.

FOX news and other Republican biased organizations chose to misquote and misrepresent Al Gore in order to convince voters he was arrogant and untruthful. Amazingly, it worked, and people continue to make fun of Al Gore for a claim he never made.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:41 AM   #77

Here's what he said according to snopes:

During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection, improvements in our educational system.

Gore's first term in Congress started in 1977. The first 4 nodes of the ARPAnet (internet 1.0) went live in 1969.

I'm sure he did something useful in congress, but I have no idea what it was.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:39 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
The laugh icons may be indicating you know this already, but I've always found this particular neo-con spin very interesting. Al Gore, of course, never claimed to have invented the internet. During an interview about his service in Congress, he stated that he "took the initiative to create the internet." While some ambiguity exists in this statement, taken incontext he was simply saying that he provided legislative support to support the internet. Most members of Congress during that time readily admit that Al Gore was a leading proponent of the internet legislation.

FOX news and other Republican biased organizations chose to misquote and misrepresent Al Gore in order to convince voters he was arrogant and untruthful. Amazingly, it worked, and people continue to make fun of Al Gore for a claim he never made.
OMG!!!!!! Politician's and other groups lie about misquote the other guy to get an advantage... TELL ME IT IS NOT SOOOOOOOO....
Old 01-18-2007, 09:23 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Lat 4 elections?:

2004: Bush (Kerry too wishy-washy for me, but a tough call)

2000: Bush (easy choice)

1996: Clinton (worried that Dole would die in office)

1992: Ross Perot (I KNOW I'm not the only one on here)

1988: Bush (no-brainer)

1984: Reagan (no-brainer)

By principle, I am a conservative, more accurately a fiscal conservative. But I am willing to vote Independent, Green, Dem, or Repub, depending on the platform.............

My whole meager voting history............. :P :P

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:32 PM   #80
Administrator

I too voted "Ross for Boss" in both 92 and 96. I liked Clinton's politics, but I could tell he was a sleazebag from the start, and there was no way I could vote Republican. Gore 2000 and Kerry 2004