Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-06-2015, 03:46 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hmmm. Pontiac LeMans. Buick Wildcat. Chrysler New Yorker.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2015, 03:56 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had a number of these back in the day.

(The CAR)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 879030_f520.jpg (69.6 KB, 12 views)
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:09 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'd love to have an old fashioned VW bug just like the ones back in the 1960's, if that was re-introduced.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:12 PM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I would love a new Karmen Ghia !
That was a nice car, and lots of fun. Thanks for the memory.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:42 PM   #25
gone traveling

Sunbeam Tiger
SS 396 or 427 Chevelle
442 Olds
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:47 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Updated 32 Ford or 1967 Jaguar XKE 2+2 Coupe with better than Lucas electric and silicone not rubber hoses.

1963 split window Corvette or 68 Camaro SS or ??

heh heh heh - this is a bad thread. Now among trucks - -
I'd better stop.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:18 PM   #27

1937 Ford station wagon with wood panels...
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:49 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Nah, this is a real fun car for ER's who are in no hurry to go from point A to point B.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:35 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'd love to have an old fashioned VW bug just like the ones back in the 1960's, if that was re-introduced.
I had a couple of bugs and a Ghia back in the day and loved them, then. After driving modern cars for a long time I got a chance to drive a bug and it was a terrible experience. Back then, Boonesfarm wine seemed pretty good, too.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:36 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I had a couple of bugs and a Ghia back in the day and loved them, then. After driving modern cars for a long time I got a chance to drive a bug and it was a terrible experience. Back then, Boonesfarm wine seemed pretty good, too.
Yeah it did, didn't it....

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:39 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
We sold ours (2009) a couple of years ago, even though our remaining two cars are significantly older. It was OK, but severely underpowered for any kind of real utility use. Marketed for kids on the go, but owned mostly by middle aged women because it was cute. I wasn't in the least surprised when they dropped it. Especially since it was competing within Honda with the CRV, which has a much higher profit margin.
We have a 2006 element and it's been a fantastic utility car with an incredible amount of storage space. In fact, we downsized and can fit everything we own in that car.

But yeah it's underpowered, passing stuff on the highway sucks, and I wouldn't use it for towing anything. It's great if you have big bulky (but not particularly heavy) stuff.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:59 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Ford F-1 pickup and Nash Metropolitan.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:21 PM   #33

I've read about the new minivans cabs being introduced in New York City.

A better choice:
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:32 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
+1. No heart-pounding excitement, but the Camry wagon et al were dang practical little cars.
Small wagons are here...you just have to look for them (Jetta Sportwagon):

VW-Jetta-SportWagen-Golf-Variant-9[2].jpg
Old 04-06-2015, 07:38 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief04010 View Post
I've always liked the Willy's Jeep:

Chief,

This is about as close as you get with any retro. Take the doors and top off and you are there. Its hard to see in the light, but it even says Willys on the side of the hood. They are available at your local Jeep dealer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Presentation1.jpg (59.9 KB, 7 views)
Hermit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:40 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I would have to say a true retro style Corvette. I would like to see something with sharp, sloped fenders and quarter panels like the 63-67 body styles. I think Chevrolet blew it with the latest design and on top of that they call it a Stingray. They should have saved that name for a true retro design with tip out headlights and round tail lights.
427Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:47 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

The one car that always facinated me was an ealry Jensen interceptor. A friend had one while we were in college in Connecticut when we were nuts about British cars. At the time, I had a MGB roadster. The Interceptors were much different than the usual British fare at the time, but they were really not good cars. A classic 1974 example is here:

jensen_interceptor_s_74.jpg

"The Interceptor name had been used previously by Jensen for an earlier car made between 1950 and 1957. The car broke with Jensen tradition by having a steel bodyshell instead of glass-reinforced plastic and by having the body designed by an outside firm, Carrozzeria Touring of Italy, rather than the in-house staff.

The early bodies were Italian-built, by Vignale, before production by Jensen themselves began – with subtle body modifications – in West Bromwich.

Specifications.

The engine was a Chrysler V-8 initially of 6276 cc (383 c.i.) with optional manual (Mark I, only few built) or TorqueFlite automatic transmissions driving the rear wheels through a limited slip differential in a conventional Salisbury rear axle. The engine grew to 7212 cc (440 c.i.) in late 1971 with 4-bbl carburation. The SP (Six-Pack) model of 1971–73 offered 3x2-bbl carburation; only 232 were built and had the distinction of being the most powerful car ever to have been made by Jensen (390 hp (290 kW).

The Interceptor saloon had a distinctive large, curving wrap-around rear window that doubled as a tailgate. The original specification included electric windows, reclining front seats, a wood rimmed steering wheel, radio with twin speakers, reversing lights and an electric clock. Power steering was included as standard from September 1968.

The Mark II was announced in October 1969, revised frontal styling and vented disc brakes. The Mark III of 1971 had revised seats, fully-cast alloy wheels plus some other improvements. The Mark III was divided to G-, H- and J-series, depending on the production years. The "J" version of Interceptor III was the most luxurious Jensen built.
(text source: Wikipedia)

I actually ran across a "barn find" Jensen in south Louisiana a few years ago at the site of a shut down gas plant. We couldn't find the owner (probably dead) and left the car sit and turn into iron oxide.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:52 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, we've had the Mustang, the Dodge muscle cars, the Camaro revised and re-introduced, as well as the Morris Mini and the Fiat 500. Are there others that automakers should be looking at?
I don't think the Mustang ever went out of production, although it could be that most of the 80s versions aren't acknowledged as such by true Mustang aficionados. (Full disclosure, my first car was a 64 1/2 model).

I had forgotten about El Caminos. I had a girlfriend with one, and it was a lot of fun. I also remember flying down the road in the back seat of a Subaru Brat. I don't think those open back seats would be allowed these days, but it was a blast back then.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:17 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by springnr View Post
Not exactly the VW bus you had mind, here is a pic I sent my son from Japan a couple years ago, maybe a 2/3 size model? He was wondering what would be available when he moved. A couple pics, one for size reference.
Wow, I never saw one of those in the US.
This model was reportedly coming to the US in 2014 or 2015, but I haven't heard anything else.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:21 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Wow, I never saw one of those in the US.
This model was reportedly coming to the US in 2014 or 2015, but I haven't heard anything else.
As a VW owner and fan, VW has disappointed us many times on their promises of certain Euro models coming here.