Which retro auto model would you like to see reintroduced?

Updated 32 Ford or 1967 Jaguar XKE 2+2 Coupe with better than Lucas electric and silicone not rubber hoses.

1963 split window Corvette or 68 Camaro SS or ??

heh heh heh - this is a bad thread. Now among trucks - :greetings10: :nonono: -
I'd better stop.

Nah, this is a real fun car for ER's who are in no hurry to go from point A to point B.

Steam-powered-car_teaser1-300x225.jpg

I'd love to have an old fashioned VW bug just like the ones back in the 1960's, if that was re-introduced.
I had a couple of bugs and a Ghia back in the day and loved them, then. After driving modern cars for a long time I got a chance to drive a bug and it was a terrible experience. Back then, Boonesfarm wine seemed pretty good, too. :LOL:

I had a couple of bugs and a Ghia back in the day and loved them, then. After driving modern cars for a long time I got a chance to drive a bug and it was a terrible experience. Back then, Boonesfarm wine seemed pretty good, too. :LOL:

Yeah it did, didn't it.... :2funny:

We sold ours (2009) a couple of years ago, even though our remaining two cars are significantly older. It was OK, but severely underpowered for any kind of real utility use. Marketed for kids on the go, but owned mostly by middle aged women because it was cute. I wasn't in the least surprised when they dropped it. Especially since it was competing within Honda with the CRV, which has a much higher profit margin.

We have a 2006 element and it's been a fantastic utility car with an incredible amount of storage space. In fact, we downsized and can fit everything we own in that car.

But yeah it's underpowered, passing stuff on the highway sucks, and I wouldn't use it for towing anything. It's great if you have big bulky (but not particularly heavy) stuff.

I've read about the new [-]minivans[/-] cabs being introduced in New York City.

A better choice:
1024px-Checker_Taxi_Madison_Sq_jeh.jpg

I've always liked the Willy's Jeep:

images

Chief,

This is about as close as you get with any retro. Take the doors and top off and you are there. :dance: Its hard to see in the light, but it even says Willys on the side of the hood. They are available at your local Jeep dealer.

Attachments

• Presentation1.jpg
    Presentation1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 7
I would have to say a true retro style Corvette. I would like to see something with sharp, sloped fenders and quarter panels like the 63-67 body styles. I think Chevrolet blew it with the latest design and on top of that they call it a Stingray. They should have saved that name for a true retro design with tip out headlights and round tail lights.

The one car that always facinated me was an ealry Jensen interceptor. A friend had one while we were in college in Connecticut when we were nuts about British cars. At the time, I had a MGB roadster. The Interceptors were much different than the usual British fare at the time, but they were really not good cars. A classic 1974 example is here:

jensen_interceptor_s_74.jpg

"The Interceptor name had been used previously by Jensen for an earlier car made between 1950 and 1957. The car broke with Jensen tradition by having a steel bodyshell instead of glass-reinforced plastic and by having the body designed by an outside firm, Carrozzeria Touring of Italy, rather than the in-house staff.

The early bodies were Italian-built, by Vignale, before production by Jensen themselves began – with subtle body modifications – in West Bromwich.

Specifications.

The engine was a Chrysler V-8 initially of 6276 cc (383 c.i.) with optional manual (Mark I, only few built) or TorqueFlite automatic transmissions driving the rear wheels through a limited slip differential in a conventional Salisbury rear axle. The engine grew to 7212 cc (440 c.i.) in late 1971 with 4-bbl carburation. The SP (Six-Pack) model of 1971–73 offered 3x2-bbl carburation; only 232 were built and had the distinction of being the most powerful car ever to have been made by Jensen (390 hp (290 kW).

The Interceptor saloon had a distinctive large, curving wrap-around rear window that doubled as a tailgate. The original specification included electric windows, reclining front seats, a wood rimmed steering wheel, radio with twin speakers, reversing lights and an electric clock. Power steering was included as standard from September 1968.

The Mark II was announced in October 1969, revised frontal styling and vented disc brakes. The Mark III of 1971 had revised seats, fully-cast alloy wheels plus some other improvements. The Mark III was divided to G-, H- and J-series, depending on the production years. The "J" version of Interceptor III was the most luxurious Jensen built.
(text source: Wikipedia)

I actually ran across a "barn find" Jensen in south Louisiana a few years ago at the site of a shut down gas plant. We couldn't find the owner (probably dead) and left the car sit and turn into iron oxide.

Well, we've had the Mustang, the Dodge muscle cars, the Camaro revised and re-introduced, as well as the Morris Mini and the Fiat 500. Are there others that automakers should be looking at?

I don't think the Mustang ever went out of production, although it could be that most of the 80s versions aren't acknowledged as such by true Mustang aficionados. (Full disclosure, my first car was a 64 1/2 model).

I had forgotten about El Caminos. I had a girlfriend with one, and it was a lot of fun. I also remember flying down the road in the back seat of a Subaru Brat. I don't think those open back seats would be allowed these days, but it was a blast back then.

subaru-brat.jpg

Not exactly the VW bus you had mind, here is a pic I sent my son from Japan a couple years ago, maybe a 2/3 size model? He was wondering what would be available when he moved. A couple pics, one for size reference.
Wow, I never saw one of those in the US.
This model was reportedly coming to the US in 2014 or 2015, but I haven't heard anything else.
2014-vw-microbus.jpg

Wow, I never saw one of those in the US.
This model was reportedly coming to the US in 2014 or 2015, but I haven't heard anything else.
2014-vw-microbus.jpg

As a VW owner and fan, VW has disappointed us many times on their promises of certain Euro models coming here.

I had forgotten about El Caminos. I had a girlfriend with one, and it was a lot of fun. I also remember flying down the road in the back seat of a Subaru Brat. I don't think those open back seats would be allowed these days, but it was a blast back then.

subaru-brat.jpg
Suburu recently had a "Baja" model, which had a bit of the old "Brat" feel, but I don't think the Feds would have smiled on the open rear seats of the Brat. But, heck, it had handgrips! "Hold on tight back there, I think we're gonna roll over."
The Brat took advantage of a loophole in crazy US import tariffs of the time. From Wikipedia:

US versions also had carpeting and welded-in rear-facing jumpseats in the cargo area—serving actually to circumvent a tariff known as the Chicken tax. Although the BRAT could fairly be called a truck, the plastic seats in the cargo bed allowed Subaru to classify the BRAT as a passenger car. This both left little cargo space, and it also caused a few fatalities and serious injuries in accidents.[3][4] . . . Passenger cars imported into the US were charged only a 2.5% tariff, compared to 25% on light trucks.

Last edited:
I'd like to see Chevrolet come out with a 1957 Bel Air 2 door hardtop body with current technology high performance drive train, suspension, and brakes.

I'd like to see Chevrolet come out with a 1957 Bel Air 2 door hardtop body with current technology high performance drive train, suspension, and brakes.

That would be nice, and you can buy one already built that way at one of the Classic car auctions.

One problem with GM or any manufacturer copying an old classic body style is that the early cars would have trouble meeting the safety rules, especially the bumper standards. It could be done, though.

One problem with GM or any manufacturer copying an old classic body style is that the early cars would have trouble meeting the safety rules, especially the bumper standards. It could be done, though.

It will make old car buffs cry to see it, but the IIHS did a 40 MPH offset crash test between a 1959 Bel Air and a 2009 Chevy Malibu. Really eye-opening results.

Video

Malibu-occupant-compartment.jpg
BelAir-occupant-compartment.jpg
In the crash test involving the two Chevrolets, the 2009 Malibu's occupant compartment remained intact (above left) while the one in the 1959 Bel Air (right) collapsed.

My Dad had one of these small 4 cylinder pickups of the early 1980s....be nice to see them come back again:

Datsun_620_truck.jpg

Little 4 cylinder, light, good fuel mileage, zippy, fun to drive, handy, what else? Where did they all go?

My Dad had one of these small 4 cylinder pickups of the early 1980s....be nice to see them come back again:

Little 4 cylinder, light, good fuel mileage, zippy, fun to drive, handy, what else? Where did they all go?
My Dad had a little Datsun truck like that. It rattled quite a bit, but was reliable, ran well and was good on gas. Very fun for a teenager out in a wet parking lot. I'm guessing they were deathtraps in a crash. So, I worked on not crashing it.

+1 on the VW Van mentioned above - I would buy an updated one in a heartbeat. Also was sad to see the Element disappear although I never owned one. Looked like a great dog car.

I currently own an FJ Cruiser which was a "revision' itself and love it. Too bad it is discontinued.

One I would like to see is the BMW 2002. I had a '76 and loved it.

Modern tri-five Chevy would sell good.

The problem with any retro styled vehicle is having it pass crash and pedestrian impact rules, while still being enough retro.

Doesn't the reintroduced Beetle meet these criteria?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom