Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-07-2015, 07:26 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

I kind of like this one:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BOSS1289r1.jpg (556.4 KB, 6 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2015, 07:58 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Little old lady on my paper route back in late 70's had a 68? dodge coronet that really spoke to my teen age need for speed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcountz View Post
1958 or 9 Plymouth Fury....or how about 1963 4 door Dodge Coronet 440?

That Dodge was one UGLY car!!!! But it was my first car, I bought for $100 in about 1978. It was red. It had a push button transmission. The passenger fender was red, but turned out it was repaired with Sacramento tomato juice cans and bondo!!!!

My sister drove it on I84 in Orange County NY and wasnt ready for how powerful it was....she drove it down into the grassy median at about 55 and then right back up and out back onto the road!!!!

My boyfriend borrowed it one night and slid off the icy road and hit a pole...no injuries, but that's how we discovered the tomato juice cans!

I ran that thing for about 2 years.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:03 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I would love a new Karmen Ghia !
Bought my wife (er,,, me ) a 1968 Karmann Ghia last May, convertible dark blue with white top. for a 40+ year old car it rides like a dream.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:59 PM   #64

I had VW bugs, 2 Karmann Ghias, 2 Buses and a Westfalia. Loved them all and would buy a KG or Bus/Transporter but only if they had the air-cooled 4 banger. I'm not too mechanically inclined but I could do tune-ups, oil change, and valve adjustments along with other easy maintenance.

I would also like to see the 1965 Plymouth Baracuda reintroduced. My first car was a '65 Valiant with bucket seats and auto on the floor. I had it for 3 years and hated to give it up. I've been tempted a time or two to consider a restored '65 Baracuda but the prices keep going up.

Cheers!
Old 04-07-2015, 10:02 PM   #65
Administrator

I would love a new Jaguar E-type.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:14 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I had VW bugs, 2 Karmann Ghias, 2 Buses and a Westfalia. Loved them all and would buy a KG or Bus/Transporter but only if they had the air-cooled 4 banger. I'm not too mechanically inclined but I could do tune-ups, oil change, and valve adjustments along with other easy maintenance.
I've got a modified VW 4-banger in an airplane, it is a dream to maintain. The engine cases are stil being manufactured in Brazil. I don't think the engine would meet modern US vehicle emission standards, unfortunately.

I saw VW Transporter model like this one near my home recently, I didn't know they'd made 'em like this. The sides flip down leaving a clean flatbed accessible from all sides. The bed is kinda high (because there needs to be room for an engine under it!), but it's a very versatile design. Not much crumple room in front of the driver's toes, however. You'd want to keep the brakes in very good shape.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:34 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Kind of off-topic, but related to the VW discussion. The hot swap now for the old air cooled flat four is to put a new Subaru flat four in. Even better with a turbo Subaru engine.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:45 PM   #68

Hum, there are so many. Probably (1) '66 Chevelle 396 or (2) a '68 Charger with either a 426 or 440 and (3) '66 GTO 389.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:49 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Little 4 cylinder, light, good fuel mileage, zippy, fun to drive, handy, what else? Where did they all go?
I am still driving my '82 VW Rabbit Diesel Pickup that is closing in on 400k miles. I absolutely refuse to buy a new car. About the latest I can stand would be something like a BMW 528i or SAAB 9-3 from early in the millenium. I think new cars look like toasters on wheels and are full of USELESS automation. I will not drive anything but a manual gearbox (but I would like a full size car) so my options are very limited.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:56 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
[drool]
Old 04-08-2015, 04:00 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Hum, there are so many. Probably (1) '66 Chevelle 396 or (2) a '68 Charger with either a 426 or 440 and (3) '66 GTO 389.
well the charger and goat have been "revived"

not sure about the chevelle - that would be tempting
Old 04-08-2015, 10:16 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

I'd love to have a (reliable) resurrected TR-6, MGB, or even a Spitfire. I don't know who owns the rights to those badges, and I don't think any small company could bring out a refreshed version that was reasonably priced. Anyway, maybe the Miata has filled that market niche.

A Fiat X1/9 ? Probably not . . .
Old 04-08-2015, 10:21 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I'd love to have a (reliable) resurrected TR-6, MGB, or even a Spitfire. I don't know who owns the rights to those badges, and I don't think any small company could bring out a refreshed version that was reasonably priced. Anyway, maybe the Miata has filled that market niche.

A Fiat X1/9 ? Probably not . . .
Have a peek at the last Brig A Trailer auction for some British classic sales.

BaT Auctions | Bring a Trailer
Old 04-09-2015, 08:07 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I agree. loved those cars growing up. Not sure I would fit in them now. At a minimum would be hard to get in/out. but they look darn cool.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:53 AM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
How about a nicely restored one? It may go for near $100K, but will be worth it.

Restored 1964 Jaguar XKE 3.8 Coupe Series 1 | Bring a Trailer
Old 04-09-2015, 10:49 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
How about a nicely restored one? It may go for near $100K, but will be worth it.

Restored 1964 Jaguar XKE 3.8 Coupe Series 1 | Bring a Trailer
Nice restoration, but you have not lived until spent some time synchronizing SU carburetors. Or own a mechanic who can.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:52 AM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Nice restoration, but you have not lived until spent some time synchronizing SU carburetors. Or own a mechanic who can.
You use a manometer. I have one in my cave full of tools. I had British cars so I lived with pain.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:16 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

One of these?

Or one of these?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:35 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
well the charger and goat have been "revived"

not sure about the chevelle - that would be tempting
In name only. And yes, the newer "named" models run better, they are faster (if not speed limited), quicker (if properly equipped) get better gas mileage (anyway you measure it), they are safer, more durable, etc, etc. My late model Vette gets 25+mpg, has more HP and can easily out run any of them BUT, there's nothing like driving one of those <10 mpg leaded gas late 60's muscle cars. Maybe it's because of the memories.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:42 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
One of these?

Or one of these?

Great choices, HFWR.

I met some Boeing Engineers several years ago that transform your C5 corvette into a 1962 look a like. Impressive. 62 Corvette Body Style for C5 Corvette – The CRC