Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-09-2015, 03:37 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

HFWR, You have good taste. Love that generation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 60 fuelie.jpg (734.7 KB, 8 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2015, 05:04 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I dream good...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:10 PM   #83
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Nice restoration, but you have not lived until spent some time synchronizing SU carburetors. Or own a mechanic who can.
I had a 1972 TR-6 with dual SU carbs. It was indeed a pain.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:16 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I had a 1972 TR-6 with dual SU carbs. It was indeed a pain.
A good-looking car!
Mine was a '64 XKE convertible with triple side-draft SU carbs. After spending a >long< time getting them synchronized and "right", I eventually had to take the car to the mandatory CA emissions check/extortion. There was no way that car could ever be made to pass emissions. The normal and well-understood shake-down was that you paid an authorized shop $200 to fix the car and then they signed off a sheet saying it was as good as it could get and the folks in Sacramento were happy. I apparently stumbled into the only shop in the state that didn't know how this was supposed to work, he insisted on trying to make the car pass. I pleaded: "Please--it can't pass. I know this. The car is running as well and as clean as it can. Here's the $200, please sign the waiver." Nope. When he had to ask me where the mixture and idle adjustments were, I knew I was in deep trouble. It was barely running and much "dirtier" when I left that shop. And I had to re-synch everything.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:41 PM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

I didn't read every post here but if not mentioned before I like the Australian Holden Ute series. This is a GM subsidiary and a few models have made there way to the U.S. recently (Pontiac GTO, G8, Chevy SS (currently)). I'm hearing however that GM will shut down operations by 2017. Darn it.

With the El Camino gone for several yrs now I thought it was be cool to bring this "over" from down under. You can get the Chevy SS with the six speed manual for 2015. I guess sales for the SS have been slow however. $45K price tag but there is a following and forum. Chevy SS Forum

holden ute.jpg

They rock the V-8 from the Camaro that is cranking out ~435HP. Vroom!
Old 04-10-2015, 03:31 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova72 View Post
I didn't read every post here but if not mentioned before I like the Australian Holden Ute series. This is a GM subsidiary and a few models have made there way to the U.S. recently (Pontiac GTO, G8, Chevy SS (currently)). I'm hearing however that GM will shut down operations by 2017. Darn it.

With the El Camino gone for several yrs now I thought it was be cool to bring this "over" from down under. You can get the Chevy SS with the six speed manual for 2015. I guess sales for the SS have been slow however. $45K price tag but there is a following and forum. Chevy SS Forum

Attachment 21450

They rock the V-8 from the Camaro that is cranking out ~435HP. Vroom!
Before Pontiac was killed off by GM here in US, there was talk of bringing the Holden Ute over here as a Pontiac. Obviously did not happen.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:55 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova72 View Post

Your screen name also made me remember those 68 Chevy II Nova SS with the 375 HP 396 engines. I loved those, but never owned one.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:11 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

I recall when I was in high school that my dream car was the De Tomaso Pantera. Do any of you remember these? It still looks good to me but not as good as today's cars.

I think my dream car today would be the Audi R8.

pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:28 AM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I'd love to have a (reliable) resurrected TR-6, MGB, or even a Spitfire. I don't know who owns the rights to those badges, and I don't think any small company could bring out a refreshed version that was reasonably priced. ......
Here's your MGB, you may not like it.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:51 PM   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Head View Post
Here's your MGB, you may not like it.
ACK!

Old 04-12-2015, 08:14 AM   #91

+1. That thing, MGB, is pure ugly...
Old 04-13-2015, 01:29 AM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

Cool elCamino-eque car, supernova72!

How about 1970's International Harvester don't know what model (worked for a pizza place that used these as delivery trucks - 4 speed stick fun to drive), Toyota 2000GT, 289 Cobra, 1970 Toyota Hi-Lux mini pickup.

As for the ultimate sleeper, my friend had a plain white early 60's Pymouth Valiant with a 426 hemi (it still had a puny single tailpipe).
Old 04-13-2015, 05:30 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I recall when I was in high school that my dream car was the De Tomaso Pantera.
A friend of mine bought one, slightly used, in the early 70s for an outrageous price. Still a fraction of what the original owner had paid, but enormous (to me anyway). He still owns it.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:26 PM   #94
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Your screen name also made me remember those 68 Chevy II Nova SS with the 375 HP 396 engines. I loved those, but never owned one.
Ah yes. I have a 1972 Nova (non SS). It burns gas with the best of them. Ha!

Not the best pic here but here it is:

nova.jpg
Old 04-21-2015, 05:32 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Delorean.
DW would buy one in a heartbeat.
I have a sad tale about a DeLorean. In 2010 there was an auction sale of the estate of a retired USAF Colonel who had retired to a little ND town.. It included a couple of telescopes that I wanted to check out so I went. There was a DeLorean there that was in almost new condition. The fuel system and several other systems had been completely restored.. I assumed it would go for a high price so didn't pay any attention to it at the sale. The damn thing sold for $9000.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:38 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Me too. Had a buddy in 1979 who had a Jaguar XJ12. His dad was a diplomat and got assigned somewhere in the boonies of Africa. Jared had to sell his car. I had told him to let me know if he ever was going to, but he left so fast he forgot (I assume, giving him the benefit of the doubt). He sold it for $5K. I was way poor back then, but I'd have sold my brother in a second to get that car.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:46 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Me too. Had a buddy in 1979 who had a Jaguar XJ12. His dad was a diplomat and got assigned somewhere in the boonies of Africa. Jared had to sell his car. I had told him to let me know if he ever was going to, but he left so fast he forgot (I assume, giving him the benefit of the doubt). He sold it for $5K. I was way poor back then, but I'd have sold my brother in a second to get that car.
Consider yourself lucky. The V12s were a plumber and electricians nightmare. Inline six are what those in the know prefer.

I owned and still do own Jaguar. The straight sixes can't be killed. V12s tend to self destruct from overheating etc.. One of many tidbits, the AC has to run all the time, to cool the fuel lines, else it vapor locks.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:50 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Consider yourself lucky. The V12s were a plumber and electricians nightmare. Inline six are what those in the know prefer.

I owned and still do own Jaguar. The straight sixes can't be killed. V12s tend to self destruct from overheating etc.. One tidbit, the AC has to run all the time, to cool the fuel lines, else it vapor locks.
I'm sure you're right. Still, the girls...
Old 04-21-2015, 06:07 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I recall when I was in high school that my dream car was the De Tomaso Pantera. Do any of you remember these? It still looks good to me but not as good as today's cars.

When I worked for Ford Motor Company in 1972, the Pantera dealer cost exactly the same as the Lincoln Mark--$9,700.

Oh, if I just had $9,700 and the vision to buy the Pantera. I bought my '72 Grand Torino Sport company car for $3,200.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:12 PM   #100

Quote:

I owned and still do own Jaguar. The straight sixes can't be killed. V12s tend to self destruct from overheating etc.. One of many tidbits, the AC has to run all the time, to cool the fuel lines, else it vapor locks.
I've got a Jaguar XK8 convertible as a play car. It's absolutely gorgeous, but has a rear seat no human could ever sit in.

Most people don't realize that many Jaguars (XK's and XJ sedans) of the 2000's have superchargers, and they're rockets. The latest model XK's with 550 hp engines will eat a turbo Porsche and most other supercars alive in a running drag race (on UTube.) Many are sporting aluminum bodies, too.

I've long since figured out that anyone with an old Jaguar must know where all the salvage Jaguars are in close proximity. Without junked cars, it would not be possible to purchase new parts when required. It's the same with many other high performance European cars.