Join Early Retirement Today

Which site to email greeting card?
Old 08-22-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Which site to email greeting card?

I've been using 123greetings for sending birthday and holiday greeting cards for years now, because they seem to have the most/best cards of the free sites. but they always seem a bit on the dodgy side with a cheap looking ad-heavy site and I worry a little about whether I'm signing my recipients up for spam by using them.

It seems like Bluemountain is the pay site of choice, but I just can't see myself paying for something that so obviously ought to be free.

What site do y'all use for sending greeting cards?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I avoid all of the online greeting card sites for exactly the reason you mentioned...spam.
I use Microsoft's free template library site at
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...s/default.aspx
to download a greeting card template (search on greeting or birthday card) , personalize it,and email it myself directly to the recipient.
If I have a photo of the person intended victim, I incorporate that into the card. Sky's the limit!
No complaints yet. I get lots of positive feedback on their very personalized card.

PS There is an unbelievable number of templates for many different needs at the Microsoft library. Search on anything from business cards (oops) to budgets to net worth statements to...

Old 08-22-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now View Post
I worry a little about whether I'm signing my recipients up for spam by using them.
That's why I usually copy-paste electronic greeting cards into a normal e-mail and send them from my regular e-mail program.
Don't feed the spammers!
Old 08-22-2009, 05:32 PM   #4
Administrator

I don't open e-mails from greeting card companies. I delete them as spam before opening, because I don't think they are always safe. Sure, I miss some greeting cards but I'll live.

I like the solution above! Just send them something nice in a real, personal e-mail directly from you.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I got virused by a greeting card spoof so I don't open any more at all.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I got virused by a greeting card spoof so I don't open any more at all.
I'm very surprised you fell for that old "Happy National Lutefisk Day" card scam...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:22 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I do think that DIY is the way to go where possible, and I often do design my own cards for christmas that I send as attachments or links.

But for birthdays, I don't want the hassle of customizing cards myself (or choosing/downloading/designing them). What would be really cool would be some sort of open source system that could pull clip art from public domain sources, and included a simple text editor/previewer functionality, then mailed me the attachment.

I took a look at those microsoft templates and while they did look good, many were designed for paper use (requiring two folds), and nearly all would require me to do some minor resizing or reformatting. I just want a pushbutton solution where I put in the person's name and get a new card every year with their name on it. Free and spam free. I certainly have gotten demandy in this internet cornucopia age.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:29 AM   #8

I use someecards for close friends and select family. Their cards are "different" - only for tolerant folks with a well-developed sense of humor - but so funny (and often inappropriate). When I first discovered this site I let them all know - so they would not reject them (as we usually do).Free Funny Ecards and Greeting Cards for Birthday, Valentine's Day, Flirting, Dating, Friendship, Weddings, Anniversary, Current Events, Sports, News and more at someecards.com