Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-03-2016, 05:27 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

what is google FI? is that an operating system or a phone company?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2016, 07:51 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
what is google FI? is that an operating system or a phone company?
It's a phone service that uses the Sprint and T-Mobile networks. Cheaper, but with some limitations, notable that it works with just 2 or 3 Nexus phones. If you google "Google FI" you can find a lot of articles that explain it, as well as the official site.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:52 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cell Phone

Want to thank you all for this thread because it got me into looking... again... for a plain old button type cell phone that doesn't have 627 menus, sub-menus, and sub-sub menus... and doesn't require pin point accuracy to dial a number on a screen that I can't hardly see in the first place, and that doesn't pocket dial or knock-knock-knock when I put it in my pocket.

So here's where I ended up... a Tracfone Alcatel... with buttons, camera, and a radio that works without a earphones. I am delighted. Activated in one try, without talking to anyone...so:
phone... one year service, and 800 minutes... $29.95 free shipping

Here:
Alcatel Big Easy Plus with 800 Minutes and One Year of Service Tracfone New 616960045762 | eBay

Just ordered another one...
Old 06-06-2016, 09:03 AM   #24

I was going to get a Samsung S7 but then saw the Moto X Pure for $299 with a gorgeous screen, camera, 16GB, water resistant and was sold. About half the price of a S7 and the screen is the size of the more expensive S7 edge.

Oh yes, and it is sold unlocked and can use Verizon, AT&T, Tmobile (most phones can't do this).
Old 06-06-2016, 10:14 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencheese View Post
Depending on the sale you can get a Nexus 5X for under $250. Great phone that has direct support from Google so you'll get all the software and security updates regularly. Plus the camera is good enough to serve as an all around camera, unless you have real photography equipment.

Really cheap Android phones tend to be of extremely poor quality so paying a little more will prevent a lot of headaches later.
Yes, getting a Google Android is the way to go in my opinion. Somewhat cheaper then Apple.

I got a Nexus 6P when it first came out. Very happy with it. It is the same size as an Iphone 6+. Cost is $500 directly from Google. And it is unlocked, and GSM (good for Europe).

I don't take pictures with my digital camera anymore. The Nexus 6P is very good. If one uses Lastpass on the phones (or tablet or PC) then I think security is pretty good, especially for financial stuff. The 6P has a fingerprint reader which works great with Last pass.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:09 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I just received my Samsung J3 yesterday that cost $99. My first smart phone. This info is just for newbies or Luddites like me wanting one and not a comprehensive review. I have maybe used a smart phone 2 times in my life, but have extensive use on an Ipad. Using my Ipad experience, setting up the J3 was a total breeze. Including email and downloading apps. I know its an Android and understand it is not OS an Apple. But to a Luddite, it acts just the same to me. Though a "cheapie" it has plenty of space to download apps. It has the 16 space instead of 8, so all of apps I am interested in having (not alot) are fine on the phone plus any more if needed. Voice calling on phone is better than my dumb phone, but I had a cheap dumb phone. I suppose paying for a more expensive phone gives you a better camera, pixel definition, and possibly battery strength. This appears to be fine with battery strength. I didn't need bells and whistles so this one appears to suit my needs. I imagine if you go from a dumb phone to a mid level smart phone, you will think...awesome! If you go from expensive one to a lower level one, that feeling would probably not occur.... Unless of course you were a total Luddite who had a top end one and didn't learn to use the bells and whistles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2016, 08:59 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I was going to get a Samsung S7 but then saw the Moto X Pure for $299 with a gorgeous screen, camera, 16GB, water resistant and was sold. About half the price of a S7 and the screen is the size of the more expensive S7 edge.

Oh yes, and it is sold unlocked and can use Verizon, AT&T, Tmobile (most phones can't do this).
Wow, reviews sound good, and supports both CDMA and GSM (the hardware for the various carriers you mentioned) - cool!

DD and DW have the Moto-G and are very happy with them, they were ~ $220 IIRC. This Moto-X sounds really good at $299. I'm tempted (still use a non-smartphone flip), but that screen is so large, it almost looks like a small tablet! If I go smart phone, I'm almost thinking small would be good for me, and keep my tablet in the car and 'hotspot' the phone when I really want to do anything intensive?

-ERD50
Old 06-07-2016, 09:21 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Wow, reviews sound good, and supports both CDMA and GSM (the hardware for the various carriers you mentioned) - cool!

DD and DW have the Moto-G and are very happy with them, they were ~ $220 IIRC. This Moto-X sounds really good at $299. I'm tempted (still use a non-smartphone flip), but that screen is so large, it almost looks like a small tablet! If I go smart phone, I'm almost thinking small would be good for me, and keep my tablet in the car and 'hotspot' the phone when I really want to do anything intensive?

-ERD50
Get the Moto-X pure. I can't believe you can get so much phone for so little money, unlocked no contract. The screen is better than my Alienware 4k laptop.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:30 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

-ERD50
Getting used to the smaller screen of a phone was my biggest adjustment. That said, I do like a phone that fits on one hand. With the phone I got, trying to poke and type on the tiny screen using the default keyboard was frustrating. But after adding a larger button app for about $3, my phone is quite functional. IMO, Smart phones are all about the apps.

For me know, if I go away for a weekend, I can get connected enough. But if I am gone for several days, I'd still rather lug carry along a laptop to get some serious interneting done.
which smart phone?
Old 06-08-2016, 10:14 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

which smart phone?

After 48 hours of owning a smart phone, I am kind of surprised about the battery. I have been playing with it off an on all 2 days, various phone calls, texting, surfing and downloading apps etc. Anyways after 2 days of decent usage, but little video downloading, I still have 50% power. I did not power my phone off. All I have ever read is people complaining their phone doesnt last until end of the day or has to be recharged nightly....What do people do with their phones, watch YouTube all day on them? It looks to me I can go 3-4 days without charging.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:25 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
One thing that soaks battery is Bluetooth. Another is downloading apps that are always checking for new messages and releases. Facebook and WhatsApp are examples.

So you can turn off Bluetooth and even WiFi if you just use it as a phone.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:30 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
After 48 hours of owning a smart phone, I am kind of surprised about the battery. I have been playing with it off an on all 2 days, various phone calls, texting, surfing and downloading apps etc. Anyways after 2 days of decent usage, but little video downloading, I still have 50% power. I did not power my phone off. All I have ever read is people complaining their phone doesnt last until end of the day or has to be recharged nightly....What do people do with their phones, watch YouTube all day on them? It looks to me I can go 3-4 days without charging.

Anything with video sucks up bandwidth and the battery power. Otherwise, it's not bad. You probably have a setting that indicates the historical power usage by feature based over time. Look under settings/battery or power use.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:38 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Anything with video sucks up bandwidth and the battery power. Otherwise, it's not bad. You probably have a setting that indicates the historical power usage by feature based over time. Look under settings/battery or power use.

I had not looked at that before. Kind of interesting chart. Shows I still have 11 hours left of usage. KC's post had me look at Bluetooth...It is off.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:06 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Count me in for project fi. Bought the nexus 5x...its $200+tax. Great phone, huge screen, fast. Im not a data hog. Matter of fact I keep the cellular data option turned off. I have access to wifi at home/work so data is a none issue. I do sometimes have to use data...but only a couple hundred meg a month. My last bill was $31. No complaints yet.

My biggest complaint with iphones is the markup. You have to wait 2 or 3 years if you want to buy one at a decent price. Im not willing to shell out $650 for a brand new 6s model...and im not about to rent a phone from the big providers and be locked in for 2 years. Android has a ton of options for phones...you can even get really good ones for around $100.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:32 AM   #35

My recently purchased iphone 5 is outstanding. I had a very cheap cell phone awhile back that I hated. I am using Ting--pay as you go and incredibly transparent.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:26 PM   #36

Quote:
I wont use it often as I will need readers to use it, and I dont carry them much with me.
With a smart phone, you will be able to 'stretch' the screen. No readers needed.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:05 PM   #37

On my phone, an HTC One S, I've found that having the cellular data function turned on just kills my battery. With it off, I can go about two days. So I only turn the cellular data radio on when needed and immediately turn it off. Do vast majority of data on WiFi.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:38 PM   #38

Quote:
..What I think I will miss the most is only having to charge my phone once every 5 days.
Mine lasts easily 5 days since I hardly use it.
Trick is turn off the wifi until you need it. Same with Bluetooth.
And make the screen go dark after a minute of no activity.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:52 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
So here's where I ended up... a Tracfone Alcatel... with buttons, camera, and a radio that works without a earphones. I am delighted. Activated in one try, without talking to anyone...
Does this one require the use of another phone (i.e. one other than it) to activate it?
Old 06-09-2016, 04:15 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I retire in 2 months so I also have to get a new phone because they won't pay and let me keep the work phone...lol I don't live on a phone like others so I was thinking of just going with Cricket Wireless and the following phone:

https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell...ch-idol-3.html