Join Early Retirement Today

Which tenant would YOU chose?
Old 10-23-2007, 07:44 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Which tenant would YOU chose?

Of the applicants I get for one particular rental, I ususally get one keeper out of about 10-15 apps. Today I got 2 that seem initially like keepers. Here's their info...YOU decide who YOU would keep if you had to keep one (read: i rarely get semi-decent people applying...so I have to snag one of them!!)

Man #1: 50 yrs old, 2 teenage sons. Wants to move back to town, been living in a town 30 mins away since divorce 4yrs ago. during divorce, filed BK because of wife's debt. Verified same job for 20+ years manufacturing acetylene. Makes Gross 3100/month. Net though, is about $1900 monthlly after child support,401k loan,long term diabilty,lifeinsurance, kids life insurance, 401k contribution,medical,dental,vision, and taxes -all are dudctions from paycheck. he says he has a guard dog whom he would put to sleep- he cant give it away as it's a "one-owner type of dog...it'd turn on anyone else". he says he's more concerned about getting his kids into the local schools where their friends still go, and roof over his head, than the dog...good location to get to work etc. He also is restoring a 69 mustang for son, so he loves the huuuge garage. he mentioned not wanting something too big as his kids will soon be out of the home and this would be all he needs...plus kids are always with friends 'just need a place to put their stuff-you know kids". No car or ccard pymts

Man #2: 27 yrs old, no other occupants. living with mother for last 4 weeks. reason is he was in navy, and just got back for good to start new career as homeland security IT guy. I met the mother (she came by 4 him while he was at work to 'screen' it for him??) and she mentioned the home they built, the restaurant they are opening etc...seems like they might have some $$, which is a good sign?. Guy seems very clean, and smart-- used a vocabulary similar to that of a college grad vs. the normal 7th grade level i hear. He almost seems too good for the neighborhood, but he says he likes it due to the atmosphere and its quiet (quiet? no...atmosphere is unique as it is right by a lake and it's literally a village).$2900/month income (will verify if net or gross,assume it is GROSS), $300/month car pymt, no ccards. Only employed by homeland security for 3-4 weeks, got the offer while in navy as IT guy. seems like hes in huge hurry to move in, for no other reason than to get away from mom-so he says

well, that's the best I can tell ya...some from observation and some from their apps or verification

What can you make from this? i have my own wierd ways of analyzing things...but dont want to taint your thought process
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
Administrator

How much is the rent? Seems like the ex-Navy guy has the financial edge. He may have a girlfriend, but with the other guy, you may well find his kids living with him (not to mention the dog, no matter what he says). I would go with ex-Navy (but then, as a Navy vet, I am also predisposed in that direction).
Old 10-23-2007, 08:01 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

#1 Would you really make someone put down their dog to take an apartment? I would wonder about anyone who would agree offer to do that. So, after four years divorced - why move back into town now?

#2 His mother checked it out for him!? Sounds like something my mom would do for my brother . Likely a better deal for you in the short term, but he may not stay as long, so then you'll be out fishing again.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:10 PM   #4

#2 sounds like a good deal - ex-military, IT, good relationship with parents

#1 is a scumbag - willing to kill his dog to move 30 miles ? I would not trust
him to mow my lawn.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:36 PM   #5

i agree on the dog-killer aspect of things...willing to whack the dog? definately willing to avoid the landlord. lol. but somehow i got a good vibe from the guy, although the 1st impression wasnt good. i do like his tenure, it shows SOME stability. 20 yrs of employment helps avoid that typical excuse "i lost my job and...."

hes moving back now because his kids want to, and he HAS to. showed me the court papers stuck to his door (i copied and kept them, and verified) that his residence was foreclosed...the eviction actually said for the homeowner(his landlord) to get out by the 15th of nov

navy guy seems kinda sneaky...probably the whole top-secret clearance homeland security thing....just a wierd aura..used lots of acronyms like ICE, and words like "intel" and 'covert' and some others I forgot
Old 10-23-2007, 09:18 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I pick door #2.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:34 PM   #7
Administrator

Guy number 1 puts his need to be close to his kids ahead of the dog - this might offset the doggy dirt nap scenario. He managed to keep his job for 20 years and I would take this as a plus. He is stashing something away for retirement - shows some bit of foresight.

Guy number 2 has virtually no employment history. The restaurant biz is very risky with a really high failure rate in the first year and he can always bail on the rent and go live with mom.

So - as long as you don't have to actually like your tenants, I think number one might be a better risk. (even if he is a dog hating dirt bag)
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:34 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Suggestion: Examine your motives. Are you (perhaps) leaning toward guy #1 because you are a sympathetic sort and want to help him out?

Offering to put the dog down really bothers me. Are there no other houses for rent in your town? Of course, he didn't have to even tell you about the dog, did he? I think he's hoping you'll let the pup stay once you meet him. Will you? If you pick guy #1 and won't let Rover stay, then I think you know who's at least partially responsible for the pup's demise.

Pick the ex-swabbie
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:01 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

#2 for finances and I give a few points for ex military... only negative is that he will probably be a shorter term renter.. he will either move or want to own his own home..

#1 for longevity of work and taking care of his kids... I do have a problem with the dog, but he might be on his last legs anyhow... as an example, my sister kept her dog alive for many months after she should have put her down.. it wasn't until she could not even walk anymore that she finally took her in.. and that even took a week of carrying her out for her business a few times a day... and my BIL didn't even want to do it... but it should have been done a long time earlier...

SOOOO, #2 first..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:05 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Sign me up for #2. Anyone willing to put their dog down...
Old 10-24-2007, 08:17 AM   #11

These two are the keepers, eh? Wow.

Number 2, because of the dog.

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:24 AM   #12

Getting out of the military and trying to find a place other than parent's is frazzling! (especially with a new job, etc) Go with the squid!

Ditto what most posters have said about #1
Old 10-24-2007, 10:15 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't know....I would nto be able to trust anyone who would put their animal down just so they can move!
As for the second one.....if his mom had to vouch.....seems strange.
Can' you get any other applicants?
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:41 PM   #14

i can, yes...but am familiar with the types of apps/people I get over here, and these 2 are exceptions

i chose the homeland security guy....got his deposit today....under 1 month is pretty good turnaround!
Old 10-27-2007, 03:35 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
I don't know....I would nto be able to trust anyone who would put their animal down just so they can move!
Yeah, I always prefer folks who take the pups out into the contryside and kick 'em out of the car.........
Old 10-28-2007, 08:39 AM   #16

I'll predict #1 will have a dog in the unit (the gaurd dog or another); if that's a concern ... take door #2.

I also would not delay ... you may not be the first choice of either one. So make your pick; get a deposit; then reject the other.