Which way to go from Bay Area to Bandon Oregon?

robnplunder

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am traveling to Bandon, Oregon (for 4 rounds of golf at the Dunes) from Bay Area, CA. There are two routes of similar distance. One goes via highway 1 along the coast. The other one is via highway 5 through the middle of CA. Yahoo map says they both take about 8 hours and 50 minutes but I am not sure (traffic, road condition, construction, ...). If I start my journey from Bay Area on Friday morning, which would be the faster route despite of being similar distance? :confused:

Just for speed I'd vote the 5 - no dawdling on that track. The coast route is way prettier and people tend to slow down and look around. Opinion only, but have driven both.

You go up I-5 you have to travel west for a couple of hours to get to Bandon. If you go coast route you'll roll right in to Bandon. Coast prettier, I-5 you go faster! If it snows you might want to be on the coast route. I-5 can get pretty nasty around Shasta.

Note for a more freeway costal route take 101 up the coast. If you take 1 you will end up at 101 Legget, Ca 183 miles up the coast and it is another 283 miles up the coast to Bandon, Driving thru the Redwoods in Ca. 101 is Freeway to Eureka and basically 2 lanes north of there. Then you drive along the Oregon Coast as well. Otherwise you have a 74 mile mountain road west from I-5 to Bandon.

Back
Top Bottom