Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Which Weber should I buy?
Weber Spirit 3 15.00%
Weber Genesis 17 85.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2016, 03:03 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
2017ish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I would choose weber kettle charcoal grill. That's what we have.
DH was given it used in the early 90's. It survived 3 moves and is still going strong. We keep it outside without a cover... We used it 2 nights ago as a fire pit so we could make s'mores. (Youngest kid requested this.)

It did have the legs fail a few years back - so we have it setting on some pavers. We'll be building an outdoor kitchen sometime in the next few years and will use this ancient weber kettle charcoal grill.
The newer model, "Gold" version, is nice in that the ash pan has been converted to an enclosed area to prevent sparks from flying as easily. (I think that wasn't available in the early 90s). I hated spending $150 for a new one, but it was time and the enclosure is nice.
__________________

__________________
OMY * 3 2ish Done 7.28.17
2017ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2016, 03:27 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
can't you buy a standing convection range for that much?
This thread is talking about grills, not indoor ranges
__________________

__________________
Doing things today that others won't, to do things tomorrow that others can't. Of course I'm referring to workouts, not robbing banks.
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:06 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Big_Hitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In the fairway
Posts: 4,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
This thread is talking about grills, not indoor ranges
yeah but when you can get an indoor convection range for less than a "grill", that's where I draw the line, to each his/her own I guess I'm too cheep to fork over a grand for an outside grill


I guess it would be difficult for some ppl to justify spending $300 on one golf club
__________________
Swing hard, look up
Big_Hitter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:16 PM   #24
Administrator
Janet H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 5,199
Another Genesis owner here. Mine is fairly new (under a year) and replaced one of costcos gleaming stainless models that kept having burners rust out and starters fail. So far so good. We use ours for steaks, burgers, grilled veggies, pizza and tater tots. Grilled tater tots are the bomb. Cook em in a grill basket - perfect every time.
__________________
E-R.org Custom Google Search | You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. (Robin Williams)
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:22 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Big_Hitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In the fairway
Posts: 4,285
Okay, I voted Genesis; that assumes I have spousal consent to spend that much on a grill - I'd get a NG one too
__________________
Swing hard, look up
Big_Hitter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:59 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado Mountains
Posts: 2,428
Am I the only one to use a "Q"? I like the way it works and I can take it with me! Ok. It doesn't cook for the neighborhood, but it does fine for me and a couple of friends.

I will use propane for heating, so this thread has me considering putting a gas line out the back.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:04 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 40,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Not sure what Weber I have but I got a top of the line at $3200. Stainless everything.
Gulp!!! I had no idea that grills that expensive even existed.

I am sure they are worth it to those who buy them, especially if you do a lot of entertaining. But as for me, well, I don't entertain really so I grill inside where it's climate controlled and comfy, on a $45 electric grill. Works for me.
__________________
5/17/2018: Retired a second time, this time from my volunteer Admin duties. After 10 years of being on the team, and 40,000+ posts, the time just seemed right. It has been such fun to work with all of our Mods and Admins and I plan to stick around as a regular member.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:01 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,889
Look into Ducane. It is to Weber as Toyota is to Lexus.

I bought a Ducane Gas Grill Affinity 4100, $422 in 2012. Four burners, and I bought he NG model, plumbed some NG to outside and never need to worry about propane tanks.

After a few years, the metal/porcelain 'flavor bars' were rusting out, but I found a source for SS that I think were cheaper than the OEM.

allpartsindustries.com

I actually miss using the old Weber 'kettle' grill. With those, close the vents down and there is not enough O2 for flare ups... nice. But I also disliked messing with charcoal. Gas isn't always as good, but throw a few wood chips on, and it's close.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:23 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 6,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Look into Ducane. It is to Weber as Toyota is to Lexus.

I bought a Ducane Gas Grill Affinity 4100, $422 in 2012. Four burners, and I bought he NG model, plumbed some NG to outside and never need to worry about propane tanks.

After a few years, the metal/porcelain 'flavor bars' were rusting out, but I found a source for SS that I think were cheaper than the OEM.

allpartsindustries.com

I actually miss using the old Weber 'kettle' grill. With those, close the vents down and there is not enough O2 for flare ups... nice. But I also disliked messing with charcoal. Gas isn't always as good, but throw a few wood chips on, and it's close.

-ERD50
If you want to eliminate flare ups with gas check out "Grill Grates". I went with them instead of replacing my Webers. They take longer to heat up but it basically eliminates all flare ups. I call bs on some of the manufactures claims, but if you're OK with the heating issue they're pretty grate.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:34 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 17,844
Lowe's had a nice "Espresso" color exclusive to Lowe's Genesis that could be ordered with NG connection to the house. That's what I got - love it!

Looks like it's available again. That color and NG option had disappeared for a while.
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:46 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
If you want to eliminate flare ups with gas check out "Grill Grates". I went with them instead of replacing my Webers. They take longer to heat up but it basically eliminates all flare ups. I call bs on some of the manufactures claims, but if you're OK with the heating issue they're pretty grate.
Thanks, I'll look into that. One of the nice things about this Ducane, the grill racks are real stainless steel. No rusting, clean up easy.

It seems crazy to use porcelain on metal for the 'flavor bars' (I think that's what they are called, - inverted "V" metal pieces that fit over the flames). Those thi ngs get red hot - clearly the expansion differences between metal and porcelain means they will chip and crack and then the metal rusts. The SS replacements have been perfect.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:00 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
yeah but when you can get an indoor convection range for less than a "grill", that's where I draw the line, to each his/her own I guess I'm too cheep to fork over a grand for an outside grill


I guess it would be difficult for some ppl to justify spending $300 on one golf club

We have an indoor convection oven... no need to buy another....

But, it does not grill steaks the way a grill will... and I have smoked ribs and briskets on my old grill which I cannot do indoors...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:08 PM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Lowe's had a nice "Espresso" color exclusive to Lowe's Genesis that could be ordered with NG connection to the house. That's what I got - love it!

Looks like it's available again. That color and NG option had disappeared for a while.

That is the color DW wants....

I do not want to go NG as I believe the cost of getting a connection to where the grill will be located is high.... the nearest line (if you exclude our indoor dryer and hot water heater) is on the other side of the house... you would have to go around our hot tub along with missing our sprinkler system pipes along with the first sprinkler system that was abandoned for some reason... (you would not know which were current vs old system by looking).


DW is the one who wants to spend up for the Genesis.... says not to be cheap with the food!!! Looks like we will be ordering in the next day or two....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:13 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Look into Ducane. It is to Weber as Toyota is to Lexus.

I bought a Ducane Gas Grill Affinity 4100, $422 in 2012. Four burners, and I bought he NG model, plumbed some NG to outside and never need to worry about propane tanks.

After a few years, the metal/porcelain 'flavor bars' were rusting out, but I found a source for SS that I think were cheaper than the OEM.

allpartsindustries.com

I actually miss using the old Weber 'kettle' grill. With those, close the vents down and there is not enough O2 for flare ups... nice. But I also disliked messing with charcoal. Gas isn't always as good, but throw a few wood chips on, and it's close.

-ERD50

Thanks for the info... I looked and could find Ducane at Amazon, but only one model and not quite what I want.... and not much cheaper than a Weber with the same functions....

Went to the Ducane website and they had their 4200 at Lowes, but when you go there it says it is not available anymore...


Your suggestion of going to SS when the first set gets worn out is a good one... I will remember that when it happens...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:22 PM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 17,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
We have an indoor convection oven... no need to buy another....

But, it does not grill steaks the way a grill will... and I have smoked ribs and briskets on my old grill which I cannot do indoors...
Not to mention the fire alarm indoors.
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:29 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 17,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
That is the color DW wants....

I do not want to go NG as I believe the cost of getting a connection to where the grill will be located is high.... the nearest line (if you exclude our indoor dryer and hot water heater) is on the other side of the house... you would have to go around our hot tub along with missing our sprinkler system pipes along with the first sprinkler system that was abandoned for some reason... (you would not know which were current vs old system by looking).


DW is the one who wants to spend up for the Genesis.... says not to be cheap with the food!!! Looks like we will be ordering in the next day or two....
We had an NG line plumbed to our courtyard when the house was built. Have really enjoyed that.

I'm not tall - 5'3" - and the Genesis grill is a little big for me. When the lid is open I have to stretch a bit to close it. But I manage.

I do all the grilling in the family. Something I learned while RVing and while DH was too busy chasing stuff with his camera.
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:46 AM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Look into Ducane. It is to Weber as Toyota is to Lexus.
Thats what we had, it lasted 15+ years and then I tossed it out when we downsized, but it probably could have kept going. We now have an NG pipe on the backyard patio, but haven't bought anything yet.
__________________
Doing things today that others won't, to do things tomorrow that others can't. Of course I'm referring to workouts, not robbing banks.
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:24 AM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 521
MHP is another top quality brand.
__________________
You do not have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:30 AM   #39
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado Mountains
Posts: 2,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Thats what we had, it lasted 15+ years and then I tossed it out when we downsized, but it probably could have kept going. We now have an NG pipe on the backyard patio, but haven't bought anything yet.
You live in Texas and don't have a grill?? Who would a thunk it!
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:31 AM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 43,367
Get a rope...
__________________

__________________
Numbers is hard

Although rare, it is possible to read something on this forum you don't agree with and simply move on with your life

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Value of a used Weber grill? soupcxan Other topics 17 07-23-2015 09:07 PM
Speaking of Weber Gas Grills, Including the Q jdmorton Other topics 1 06-17-2010 10:27 AM
Weber grill meltdown MichaelB Other topics 21 08-07-2009 06:27 PM
Gas Grill Recommendations-- Sundance Kid Other topics 14 12-09-2006 09:18 AM
George Foreman Grill? cj Other topics 57 01-18-2006 04:09 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:14 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.