Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Which Weber should I buy?
Weber Spirit 3 15.00%
Weber Genesis 17 85.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2016, 03:03 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I would choose weber kettle charcoal grill. That's what we have.
DH was given it used in the early 90's. It survived 3 moves and is still going strong. We keep it outside without a cover... We used it 2 nights ago as a fire pit so we could make s'mores. (Youngest kid requested this.)

It did have the legs fail a few years back - so we have it setting on some pavers. We'll be building an outdoor kitchen sometime in the next few years and will use this ancient weber kettle charcoal grill.
The newer model, "Gold" version, is nice in that the ash pan has been converted to an enclosed area to prevent sparks from flying as easily. (I think that wasn't available in the early 90s). I hated spending $150 for a new one, but it was time and the enclosure is nice.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2016, 03:27 PM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
can't you buy a standing convection range for that much?
This thread is talking about grills, not indoor ranges
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:06 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
This thread is talking about grills, not indoor ranges
yeah but when you can get an indoor convection range for less than a "grill", that's where I draw the line, to each his/her own I guess I'm too cheep to fork over a grand for an outside grill

I guess it would be difficult for some ppl to justify spending $300 on one golf club
Old 02-10-2016, 04:16 PM   #24
Administrator

Another Genesis owner here. Mine is fairly new (under a year) and replaced one of costcos gleaming stainless models that kept having burners rust out and starters fail. So far so good. We use ours for steaks, burgers, grilled veggies, pizza and tater tots. Grilled tater tots are the bomb. Cook em in a grill basket - perfect every time.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:22 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Okay, I voted Genesis; that assumes I have spousal consent to spend that much on a grill - I'd get a NG one too
Old 02-10-2016, 05:59 PM   #26

Am I the only one to use a "Q"? I like the way it works and I can take it with me! Ok. It doesn't cook for the neighborhood, but it does fine for me and a couple of friends.

I will use propane for heating, so this thread has me considering putting a gas line out the back.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:04 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Not sure what Weber I have but I got a top of the line at $3200. Stainless everything.
Gulp!!! I had no idea that grills that expensive even existed.

I am sure they are worth it to those who buy them, especially if you do a lot of entertaining. But as for me, well, I don't entertain really so I grill inside where it's climate controlled and comfy, on a $45 electric grill. Works for me.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:01 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Look into Ducane. It is to Weber as Toyota is to Lexus.

I bought a Ducane Gas Grill Affinity 4100, $422 in 2012. Four burners, and I bought he NG model, plumbed some NG to outside and never need to worry about propane tanks.

After a few years, the metal/porcelain 'flavor bars' were rusting out, but I found a source for SS that I think were cheaper than the OEM.

allpartsindustries.com

I actually miss using the old Weber 'kettle' grill. With those, close the vents down and there is not enough O2 for flare ups... nice. But I also disliked messing with charcoal. Gas isn't always as good, but throw a few wood chips on, and it's close.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:23 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

I bought a Ducane Gas Grill Affinity 4100, $422 in 2012. Four burners, and I bought he NG model, plumbed some NG to outside and never need to worry about propane tanks.

After a few years, the metal/porcelain 'flavor bars' were rusting out, but I found a source for SS that I think were cheaper than the OEM.

allpartsindustries.com

I actually miss using the old Weber 'kettle' grill. With those, close the vents down and there is not enough O2 for flare ups... nice. But I also disliked messing with charcoal. Gas isn't always as good, but throw a few wood chips on, and it's close.

-ERD50
If you want to eliminate flare ups with gas check out "Grill Grates". I went with them instead of replacing my Webers. They take longer to heat up but it basically eliminates all flare ups. I call bs on some of the manufactures claims, but if you're OK with the heating issue they're pretty grate.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:34 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Lowe's had a nice "Espresso" color exclusive to Lowe's Genesis that could be ordered with NG connection to the house. That's what I got - love it!

Looks like it's available again. That color and NG option had disappeared for a while.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:46 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
If you want to eliminate flare ups with gas check out "Grill Grates". I went with them instead of replacing my Webers. They take longer to heat up but it basically eliminates all flare ups. I call bs on some of the manufactures claims, but if you're OK with the heating issue they're pretty grate.
Thanks, I'll look into that. One of the nice things about this Ducane, the grill racks are real stainless steel. No rusting, clean up easy.

It seems crazy to use porcelain on metal for the 'flavor bars' (I think that's what they are called, - inverted "V" metal pieces that fit over the flames). Those thi ngs get red hot - clearly the expansion differences between metal and porcelain means they will chip and crack and then the metal rusts. The SS replacements have been perfect.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:00 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
yeah but when you can get an indoor convection range for less than a "grill", that's where I draw the line, to each his/her own I guess I'm too cheep to fork over a grand for an outside grill

I guess it would be difficult for some ppl to justify spending $300 on one golf club

We have an indoor convection oven... no need to buy another....

But, it does not grill steaks the way a grill will... and I have smoked ribs and briskets on my old grill which I cannot do indoors...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:08 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Lowe's had a nice "Espresso" color exclusive to Lowe's Genesis that could be ordered with NG connection to the house. That's what I got - love it!

Looks like it's available again. That color and NG option had disappeared for a while.

That is the color DW wants....

I do not want to go NG as I believe the cost of getting a connection to where the grill will be located is high.... the nearest line (if you exclude our indoor dryer and hot water heater) is on the other side of the house... you would have to go around our hot tub along with missing our sprinkler system pipes along with the first sprinkler system that was abandoned for some reason... (you would not know which were current vs old system by looking).

DW is the one who wants to spend up for the Genesis.... says not to be cheap with the food!!! Looks like we will be ordering in the next day or two....
Old 02-10-2016, 09:13 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

allpartsindustries.com

-ERD50

Thanks for the info... I looked and could find Ducane at Amazon, but only one model and not quite what I want.... and not much cheaper than a Weber with the same functions....

Went to the Ducane website and they had their 4200 at Lowes, but when you go there it says it is not available anymore...

Your suggestion of going to SS when the first set gets worn out is a good one... I will remember that when it happens...
Old 02-10-2016, 09:22 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
We have an indoor convection oven... no need to buy another....

But, it does not grill steaks the way a grill will... and I have smoked ribs and briskets on my old grill which I cannot do indoors...
Not to mention the fire alarm indoors.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:29 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
That is the color DW wants....

I do not want to go NG as I believe the cost of getting a connection to where the grill will be located is high.... the nearest line (if you exclude our indoor dryer and hot water heater) is on the other side of the house... you would have to go around our hot tub along with missing our sprinkler system pipes along with the first sprinkler system that was abandoned for some reason... (you would not know which were current vs old system by looking).

DW is the one who wants to spend up for the Genesis.... says not to be cheap with the food!!! Looks like we will be ordering in the next day or two....
We had an NG line plumbed to our courtyard when the house was built. Have really enjoyed that.

I'm not tall - 5'3" - and the Genesis grill is a little big for me. When the lid is open I have to stretch a bit to close it. But I manage.

I do all the grilling in the family. Something I learned while RVing and while DH was too busy chasing stuff with his camera.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:46 AM   #37
gone traveling

Quote:
Thats what we had, it lasted 15+ years and then I tossed it out when we downsized, but it probably could have kept going. We now have an NG pipe on the backyard patio, but haven't bought anything yet.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:24 AM   #38

MHP is another top quality brand.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:30 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Thats what we had, it lasted 15+ years and then I tossed it out when we downsized, but it probably could have kept going. We now have an NG pipe on the backyard patio, but haven't bought anything yet.
You live in Texas and don't have a grill?? Who would a thunk it!
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:31 AM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Get a rope...