Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

While we are discussing toenails....
Old 09-23-2019, 03:43 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

While we are discussing toenails....

I have had toenail fungus on my right foot for decades. For some reason my left foot is unaffected. In fact, every time I look at my left foot, I am reminded of the episode of Seinfeld where George is a hand model. Really, my left foot is perfection.

So, my question is this:

Can anyone here share their first hand experience with remedies that actually worked to get the toenail fungus gone?

Last year I ruptured my achilles on the right leg, and while my foot was in the boot I sprayed and applied antifungal ointment for 8 weeks...I thought it was working, but alas! No...
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2019, 03:46 PM   #2

Nope. I've had it for years. Decades, actually. Gone to doctors. Tried sprays. Tried soaks. Tried creams. Tried ointments. Had toenails removed (ouch). It always comes back. I've just learned to live with it.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:56 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Per a suggestion from my doc, I tried Lamisil every day, the topical OTC version. It is not indicated for this.

Probably for good reason. It didn't work. Even after a few years application.

There are some nuclear bomb type drugs that do work. But they may also kill you or give you organ failure. I think one is an internal pill form of Lamisil. There are others too. When you read The Internet, many people are very happy with the treatment, yet there is an undercurrent of worry about the side effects.

For now, I guess I'll try a pedicure -- maybe even go for a nice application of color.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:56 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Have read that peeing on your foot has been done, whether as cure or prevention I don't know. I had it on my foot for part of last year and went with a cream. Fungus went away, now spend more care washing between my toes.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:01 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Years ago I used bleach. I did not use it as the recommended concentration because I didn't care about any damage to the toenail nor my skin. I think I also went running in shoes that were too small, so my toenail turned black and eventually fell out. But I was still using bleach while that happened.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:07 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Oh, one more thing. I new topical drug called Jublia came out to great fanfare a few years ago. It costs something like $500 to $1000 for treatment. Last I heard, the insurance companies want you to try oral Lamisil first (very cheap in generic form) to keep costs down.

Here's an article on the cost of the topicals. Says it can be up to $8k because you need a few of those $600 bottles. I've swear I also heard the Greadon's talk about peeing on the foot too. Maybe that's Dean Adell.

People's Pharmacy Nail Fungus Article

Old 09-23-2019, 04:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Have read that peeing on your foot has been done, whether as cure or prevention I don't know. I had it on my foot for part of last year and went with a cream. Fungus went away, now spend more care washing between my toes.
Reminds me of a funny story. Vacationing in Jamaica. Wife steps on a sea urchin. We head to the infirmary. On the way no less than 3 people stopped us to ask what the problem was. Each one said, "did you have your husband pee in it?"

Get to the infirmary, first question was the same "did your husband pee on it?"

Treatment was uric acid, basically pee. She was dancing by that evening.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
Nope. I've had it for years. Decades, actually. Gone to doctors. Tried sprays. Tried soaks. Tried creams. Tried ointments. Had toenails removed (ouch). It always comes back. I've just learned to live with it.
+1
Old 09-23-2019, 04:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Have read that peeing on your foot has been done, whether as cure or prevention I don't know.....
if that worked I'd be cured.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:07 PM   #10

I've had it in both big toenails, but then my doctor put me on a prescription strength oral antifungal for 90 days, and the nails were starting to clear up, so I asked for another 90 days. By that time the base was pretty clear, but it came back on one side. I'm trying to wear sandals as much as I can, and I use a bit of isopropyl alcohol on it to dry it out. That one is starting to grow in fairly clear, but it's taking forever. I'm tempted to ask my doc for another scrip for the antifungal.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:05 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I had success with one the People's Pharmacy recommendation: Vicks Vaporub. Used it daily for a couple of months to get rid of the toenail fungus. I do have to continue using it during sock season or the fungus come back, but applying it a couple times a month keeps my toenails clear year round. I've been doing this for 5+ years now.

I tried the vinegar approach first but I thought it made my feet smell like salad dressing (!) so I switched to using the Vicks instead.

--Linney
Linney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:19 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

This is a decades old problem for me too. I have it on both feet but not on every toe. It's odd that way. Vic's Vapor Rub works as well as anything and I will see improvement with it. But it always comes back.

I went in for a pedicure years ago. The little Asian girls looked at each other when I walked in and one girl drew the short straw. She did a good job and I made sure I gave her the biggest tip that place saw that day.

I need to go back for another but I am admittedly bashful about the toenail fungus.

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:36 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Most of the treatments mentions only improve the appearance of the affected nail (less yellow, less cracking); they are not cures
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:40 PM   #14

https://youtu.be/GXupsxnQLwY

Eat correctly, wash it daily, dry it, wear no shoes, go in the sun, wait 6 months.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:59 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed B View Post
T Vic's Vapor Rub works as well as anything and I will see improvement with it. But it always comes back.

My totally uneducated guess is that the fungus has also transferred to your shoes, slippers, boots, etc. Once it is gone, a person needs to toss all his or her shoes away, and start the shoe collection all over again. I imaging this could completely destroy being FIREd for some people.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:09 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Long history for me trying to get it cleared up-unsuccessfully.

Dropped a very heavy item on my foot in 1979 (!). Ended up up losing the big toenail, but it grew back. Didn't properly treat the athlete's foot that emerged shortly after. Tried an oral antifungal, but it didn't completely eliminate it. Was also concerned about secondary effects, so stopped the oral. Still have toenails affected by it today, but have learned to manage the "athlete's foot" down to a point it's not an issue. Nails still look bad, though, 7 of the ten. A pedicure a couple times a year keeps them presentable in sandals.

Side note - one of my hands has been infected, but not the other. Dermatologist tells me that is not uncommon. Four of the nails have been affected, and that hand is chronically dry and often cracked, looking like it's been soaked in solvent. The other hand is pristine. Topical treatment of both the nails and skin does help contain it, but still obviously damaged.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:07 AM   #17

Same here - started getting it about 15 years ago, mainly on my big toenails, but also on the adjacent toes. Can't use Lamasil - tried the topical version for athletes foot years ago and had a reaction to it.
What has worked for me in the past is a product called Nonyx. It's basically vinegar in a gel form. I put it on the toenail, then apply a bandage. Takes a very long time, but it does clear up. Unfortunately, like others have said, it also comes back.
Watching some podiatry channels on YouTube, I see that many of them advocate thinning the toenails before using a topical treatment in order to have a better chance of the treatment getting down to the nailbed.
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 05:22 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-papa View Post
Watching some podiatry channels on YouTube, I see that many of them advocate thinning the toenails before using a topical treatment in order to have a better chance of the treatment getting down to the nailbed.
And thinning means going to the podiatrist? Or will the pedicurist do that?

I don't so much care about a cure, I would just like it to look a little better, and especially thin it out a bit.

I'll give the vape-o-rub a try too. Why not?

Old 09-24-2019, 05:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
And thinning means going to the podiatrist? Or will the pedicurist do that?

I don't so much care about a cure, I would just like it to look a little better, and especially thin it out a bit.

I'll give the vape-o-rub a try too. Why not?
Not sure, never been to either. I suppose one could either DIY or get a loved one to use a Dremel tool with a burr grinder. What could go wrong? (Joke flag: I'm not advocating this)
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 05:44 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-papa View Post
Not sure, never been to either. I suppose one could either DIY or get a loved one to use a Dremel tool with a burr grinder. What could go wrong? (Joke flag: I'm not advocating this)
More asides.

True story: My dad and uncle were doing a project and one of them slammed the hammer on a thumb. The blood started welling up under the nail and causing pressure and pain. Dad and my uncle solved this by having a few drinks, and then using a power drill to put a hole in the nail. One needed the drinks for the pain, the other for the courage to perform the surgery.

My mom and aunt were basketcases. But get this, the surgery actually worked!