Whiny Personal Rant

BigMoneyJim

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Is it just me, or does money find a way to be spent? I go through all the trouble of getting out of debt, and then my car breaks down. I catch up. It breaks down again (within 2 months). I fix it. It starts leaking coolant the following week. (It also needs new front brakes.) Not to mention I woke up yesterday with a loose tooth chip in my mouth--an upper-left molar now has a sharp-edged but fairly neat 5mm x 5mm x 1-2mm chunk out of the outward side.

Okay, that's my little rant. Actually it's not that bad. Perhaps I just had great luck for 5 years while paying off my debt (I don't recall any financial emergencies during that period) and now it's catching up to me. And I suppose it's better to be (nearly) debt free and having these problems than deep in debt and having these problems. And at least the tooth doesn't hurt or even feel sensitive, and I have the chip in a baggie so they'll probably glue it back in. (Side track: although I get the impression glued chips tend to come out again, and maybe I should try to get an outlay instead if my dental plan will cover it--yeah, I have a dental plan...another reason my whining is accompanied only by an extremely small violin.)

At any rate, with my minor financial irritations and the desire to move soon I think I'll reduce my 401(k) contributions (the ones I just raised to 25%) and see if I can build up a small after-tax cash fund that has so far been gobbled up before it exists.

Oh, another whine: ex-Jarhead's all-star team posting got deleted before I read it, so I don't even know if I made the cut. ::)

Everybody made the cut ;)

On top of your dental insurance (which I now have courtesy of being my new wifes dependent! :) ) you probably got some regular meals and a dry place to sleep, which puts you ahead of 80% of the rest of the world!

The fact that you're out of debt and have a job puts you ahead of at least 95%.

Like the bumper sticker on the dented up wreck said, "SH*T HAPPENS!" And so it does :)

It seems to run in cycles, or maybe that is human nature looking for patterns...

I reduced my front brake work by giving up on Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads. Set after set they were lasting less than 20k miles before the wear indicator would rub. Set after set I pulled them off and got free replacements under warranty. Finally decided to just kiss the warranty goodbye and chuck the last set. Got a reasonable quality level of Wagner pads instead - premature wearout problem solved. I have enough training on all aspects of brake work. I didn't need a refresher course so often!

I'm getting the house ready to sell next year - and what happens last night? Two trees fall! One hits the cowling on the chiminy - that will need to be replaced.

I'm not happy about it - one of the trees fell between the deck and a wooden stair case - within a 4 foot opening.

But there is good news - I'm looking on the bright side - they didn't hit the house, the deck or the stairs.

Just more fuel for me to sell the house and get something with less risk and maintance.

I had to have a cap put on a chipped molar a few weeks
ago .... cost about $900 with only half covered by insurance. LOL. :)

Cheers,

Charlie

I had to have a cap put on a chipped molar a few weeks
ago .... cost about $900 with only half covered by insurance.  LOL. :)

Cheers,

Charlie

I can top that. I had to have a Dental implant last month to the tune of $4,500 - None which was covered by our dental insurance -

This was considered a luxury item - I could have had a bridge put in for about $3000 and then half would have been covered. Yeah right ruin 2 more teeth!

Back
Top Bottom