Join Early Retirement Today

Whirlpool washer is dying
Old 02-05-2015, 02:12 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Front loader, about 8 years old, is croaking and we have a DNR order on it as it would most likely cost more to fix than replace. The drum is sloughing off bits of whatever it's made of when the stainless steel basket rotates within it. Will never buy a Whirlpool again.

Any recommendations as to new brand? DW wants a Top Loader, high capacity. Looks like LG at Sears is a good bet based on customer comments...if you put stock in those things. I'm a member on Consumer Reports and the top 2 tested models both received horrible customer reviews.. confusing for us shoppers...
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2015, 02:15 PM   #2

At this point I will consider buying used via Craigslist or local ad from somebody moving. It doesn't seem that anyone makes good solid reliable appliances anymore. Even the $2k washers crap out in five years or so.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:21 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
At this point I will consider buying used via Craigslist or local ad from somebody moving. It doesn't seem that anyone makes good solid reliable appliances anymore. Even the $2k washers crap out in five years or so.
+1 (disposable appliance categories are growing)
Old 02-05-2015, 02:44 PM   #4

We went from a broken 4 year old front loader (the new kind) back to the old style top loader. The repair man said that he can repair anything on the old style units, but with the new ones, any repair requires the whole machine to be taken apart in his shop and it costs at least $600 and up for the most minor repair because all the parts are encased in one unit. So we got an old style washer and it works so much better. Our clothes are so much cleaner again, too.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:48 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

My next washer will be a Speed Queen top loader. Good reviews, and
they make a commercial model for laundromats that they claim is only
slightly more durable than their domestic model.

I don't want to have anything to do with front loaders, as all I've ever
heard from my friends is how stinky they are, how often they break, etc.

Sorry to hear about your Whirlpool. I bought an Amana top loader 18 years
ago that still works, though I replaced the motor on it about three years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Tandemlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:52 PM   #6

I agree with Ally, and did the same thing a few years ago. Bearings went out on a front loader, and the repair cost as much as the entire washer.

Bought this: http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Queen-AW.../dp/B003O4QDWS

That model isn't available now, I'd recommend the AWN432 as a replacement. Made in Ripon, Wisconsin. Stainless steel tub. Three year warranty on the complete unit. Ten year warranty on the transmission. No ridiculously priced, cheaply made electronics. The cycles are controlled with a synchronous motor and the wiring is point to point, so repairs are simple. No problems yet in three and a half years, hope it keeps up.

While I was typing, I noticed Tandemlovers also recommended Speed Queen. There is a good chance the 18 year old Amana top loader that Tandemlovers is still using was built by Speed Queen. They built units for other brands.
jimbee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:20 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

I learned my lesson on an LG refrigerator that died four years after purchase . I have a GE washer that is twelve years old and going strong the new appliances are crap .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:20 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

...another Whirlpool, but a top loader. They have been making them for years and are generally regarded as the most reliable. We have one (an Estate, made by Whirlpool) and my mom has a Whirlpool. No issues on either for ten years .

We had a GE top loader that burned out its transmission quickly. I convinced them to send me a new transmission (free , under warranty) and I installed it myself (that was one of the hardest things I have ever done, and I have rebuilt engines and even automatic transmissions). When that washer transmission went bad AGAIN in a couple of years, I kicked it to the curb and bought a Whirpool top loader,
Old 02-05-2015, 03:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunthewiser View Post
...another Whirlpool, but a top loader. They have been making them for years and are generally regarded as the most reliable. We have one (an Estate, made by Whirlpool) and my mom has a Whirlpool. No issues on either for ten years .

We had a GE top loader that burned out its transmission quickly. I convinced them to send me a new transmission (free , under warranty) and I installed it myself (that was one of the hardest things I have ever done, and I have rebuilt engines and even automatic transmissions). When that washer transmission went bad AGAIN in a couple of years, I kicked it to the curb and bought a Whirpool top loader,
+1 on the older Whirlpool top loaders (with the agitator). Speaking of agitators, not too many companies include them anymore, with many companies going the "high efficiency" route (less water used, less power consumed, etc...). The problem is that the non-agitator washers apparently don't clean clothes all that well.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:07 PM   #10

OP here....we went out to Sears and Lowes to shop. DW wanted to make a quick decision so she could keep up her routine. So we would need delivery soonest possible..
Anyway, the washers with agitators were all so much smaller than the HE washers...even though we wanted the old school agitator model, she wouldn't sacrifice the size...ended up buying an LG HE top loader 4.7 cf... Largest model (GE) with agitator was 3.6.. methinks the mfgs might be phasing out the agitator models at some point because there were so few of them to choose from...
I did get the 3 year Ex Warranty for $69.... all in for $776

Oh well, happy wife, happy life
Old 02-05-2015, 04:13 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

One bit of advice - follow the instructions on how to load and use your new non-agitator top loader very carefully. We made the switch from an agitator to HE non-agitator model a few years ago and learned it cleans just fine - but only if you do what the instructions say.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
One bit of advice - follow the instructions on how to load and use your new non-agitator top loader very carefully. We made the switch from an agitator to HE non-agitator model a few years ago and learned it cleans just fine - but only if you do what the instructions say.
thanks.. I'm a little concerned about the 'balance' issues I've read about, but I think those might be related to 'overloading'.. will definitely peruse the instructions with DW
Old 02-05-2015, 04:55 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

I have only owned 2 washing machines in 30 years since leaving college. Both were the cheapest model washing machine I could find, around $200 bucks. The second one is still my washing machine and the first one I let my ex have in divorce years ago. This strategy has worked very well for me in all my appliances.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:02 PM   #14

We have a Maytag BravosX top loader. Two years old and it has been a great
machine right down to the awesome silver finish. Matching dryer is excellent as well.
Yes, the Maytag repairman is still lonely.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:13 PM   #15
Dryer sheet wannabe

Bought a speed queen 4 months ago after our front end Bosch washer died after 8 years. Speed queen is a basic top load washer with NO electronics. This machine is old school and works really well at cleaning clothes the old fashioned way. We have 3 kids that play sports and the old high efficiency (minimal water) never got their clothes clean. We love the speed queen washer 110% satisfied.
Yellowjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:28 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm shocked to see so many Speed Queen owners here. I remember how sad we were when our 25-year-old Kenmore washer had to be replaced last year - chips in the porcelain tub were causing rust spots on our clothes, but it was still operating perfectly. So we got a Speed Queen since it was the only well-regarded all-mechanical washing machine we found.

We got spooked on new machines with lots of electronics after horror stories from friends who got socked with big repair bills after only a couple years. My wife's friend has the washer from hell, a top-of-the-line HE job that has needed repairs 2-3 times a YEAR since she bought it 3 years ago. But she bought the extended warranty and doesn't care that it can't make it 6 months without breaking. She just looks at how much she's "saving" by using the heck out of that extended warranty.

Bonus: our local tiny appliance shop's price on the SQ was cheaper than any internet price I found.

If the Speed Queen lasts half as long as that sturdy Kenmore I'll be happy.
prudent_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
OP here....we went out to Sears and Lowes to shop. DW wanted to make a quick decision so she could keep up her routine. So we would need delivery soonest possible..
Anyway, the washers with agitators were all so much smaller than the HE washers...even though we wanted the old school agitator model, she wouldn't sacrifice the size...ended up buying an LG HE top loader 4.7 cf... Largest model (GE) with agitator was 3.6.. methinks the mfgs might be phasing out the agitator models at some point because there were so few of them to choose from...
I did get the 3 year Ex Warranty for $69.... all in for $776

Oh well, happy wife, happy life
The limited size of top load agitators models is due to federal energy / water use regulations. DS recently replaced a 3 year old problematic Samsung front loader with a ge top loader , I think the ge is like 3.7 cu ft.

These sad stories about appliance repair cost and durability I consider evidence of hidden inflation. They are more energy efficient , but that can disappear in total cost of ownership over an expected 20 year life.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:18 PM   #18

I have an older Maytag (closing in on 20 years) that has just started to leak. Too lazy to pull it out and fix it yet. I replaced a 12 year old Whirlpool that I thought was rusting. Turns out it was the cheap galvanized pipes the builder installed, not the washer. The Whirlpool is still working in another property. That one is almost 30 years old. I have a rental that has the original washer/dryer from when the house was built in 1978. Harvest gold. They work just fine.

The new appliances, especially those heavy on the electronics, aren't worth anything. Front load washers don't get the laundry clean. Tossing the clothes around with a little water and some soap substitutes motion for chemistry and it just doesn't work.

Buy the least expensive, most mechanical, least electronic appliance you can find. You will likely have a trouble free, long lived workhorse.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:22 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
The limited size of top load agitators models is due to federal energy / water use regulations. DS recently replaced a 3 year old problematic Samsung front loader with a ge top loader , I think the ge is like 3.7 cu ft.

These sad stories about appliance repair cost and durability I consider evidence of hidden inflation. They are more energy efficient , but that can disappear in total cost of ownership over an expected 20 year life.
If the govt wants to regulate the energy / water usage, rather than let the consumer decide, then they should do like they did with emissions systems on cars - manufacturer needs to warranty them for 8 years / 80,000 miles (or equivalent wash cycles).

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:42 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
I have an older Maytag (closing in on 20 years) that has just started to leak. Too lazy to pull it out and fix it yet. I replaced a 12 year old Whirlpool that I thought was rusting. Turns out it was the cheap galvanized pipes the builder installed, not the washer. The Whirlpool is still working in another property. That one is almost 30 years old. I have a rental that has the original washer/dryer from when the house was built in 1978. Harvest gold. They work just fine.

The new appliances, especially those heavy on the electronics, aren't worth anything. Front load washers don't get the laundry clean. Tossing the clothes around with a little water and some soap substitutes motion for chemistry and it just doesn't work.

Buy the least expensive, most mechanical, least electronic appliance you can find. You will likely have a trouble free, long lived workhorse.

I agree and I have adopted that philosophy successfully to all my appliances. And as an added bonus, no brain is required to operate the old school dials.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote