White House Goes Public With House Beer Recipes

brewer12345

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Ale to the Chief: White House Beer Recipe | The White House

:cool:

Uses honey from the hives in the White House gearden. Apparently the news of homebrewing inthe 'House only came out by accident a month or so ago.

Political angle to make a contrast with the patrician Mormon opponent (vs. supposed dirty hippy/regular guy Obama)? Frankly, who cares? Just amusing to see them brewing in the White House.

Political angle to make a contrast with the patrician Mormon opponent (vs. supposed dirty hippy/regular guy Obama)? Frankly, who cares? Just amusing to see them brewing in the White House.

Possibly...but, if the quote from the website is to be believed:

Inspired by home brewers from across the country, last year President Obama bought a home brewing kit for the kitchen.

IMO also a way to try and make himself appear to not be a muslim (not commenting one way or the other - just that some polls indicate many people 'doubt' his self-identifying label as Christian). There aren't too many devout muslims running out to buy a homebrew kit.

[mod hat on] Folks, this thread is why we have a policy on non-FIRE related politics as we do. Even a thread that references something that should be relatively apolitical and non-partisan -- something about the president's beer recipes in the White House -- turns into a snipe fest about policies, politics and religion.

If you all want the leeway to discuss things like this -- about politicians, not related to FIRE but not inherently political -- then we really need you to lay off the politics and the partisanship where it has nothing to do with the story that was linked.[mod hat off]

Well, it's probably a good thing that the White House will never run out of beer again:
understocked.png

Of course, this was not meant to be political. Just kind of funny, although as with everything in a [-]goddamned[/-] election year it is hard not to try to see an angle in it.

The recipes look pretty decent, actually.

Gotta work on converting that to an all-grain recipe.

The recipes look pretty decent, actually.

A pretty basic 'beginners' recipe/instructions. Should make a pretty good beer. I thought it kind of funny that they called for steeping the grains in 'sterile water' (grain is loaded with microbes), and then boiling that with the malt extract (the boiling takes care of the microbes - that and pH and alcohol make beer safe to drink, in moderation). The only place you would need 'sterile' water is for hydrating/proofing the yeast (not even recommended these days), or any water added after the boil, and for the airlock.

Easy enough to convert to all-grain mash, but extract is fine, IMO (I do both).

Interesting that they point this out:

The honey gives the beer a rich aroma and a nice finish but it doesn't sweeten it.

True, most people expect the honey to make it sweet, but the yeast eat up those simple sugars. You can get some honey flavoring, but you won't get sweetness from it (unless you have some fermentation issues). Easy enough to prove for yourself - take a quart of water, 3/4 cup sugar, mix and add a 1/4 tsp of bread yeast. Let it ferment at room temperature for a week and taste it. It won't taste good, but if the yeast did its thing, it sure won't taste sweet. They turned just about everything into alcohol and CO2. Remember these instructions - they could come in handy if you find yourself 'doing time'.

-ERD50

Mr. Obama should convert part of the first lady's garden into a hop garden. That would work well with her focus on nutrition.

Back
Top Bottom