Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Definitely one of the best female vocalists of our lifetime - some outstanding songs. And a true beauty as well. Too young.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, here's my story. Went to my 3x5 card audio library index, pulled out her 1st album-on cassette- (Whitney Houston). Had recorded it on my daughter's 10th birthday, so I guess we had a party and one of her guests had brought over the album--and I made a copy while they were outside swimming. Great singing.
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Or perhaps it's the types of personalities that are attracted to the entertainment industry?
+1

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I did not see that she had died, until I was looking at the obituaries in our Sunday paper. I was totally shocked. I thought that she had a wonderful voice and was so pretty. She was way too young.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #25

I still have the VHS tape I did of the 1987 Grammy's and Whitney's performance.
Great loss.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Wow, very sad. I would rank Whitney with Ofra Haza and Allison Krauss as the greatest female vocalists of my lifetime. Stay well, Allison...
Aretha?
Old 02-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Her funeral today was something special. She was loved.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Her funeral today was something special. She was loved.
I did not watch her funeral today, but I am surprised at how sad I am by her death. I have been bummed out all week.

I moved to Boston right after I graduated from college in 1982. On Friday and Saturday nights around 10pm I would shower, change my clothes and hit the clubs to go dancing (oh to have that kind of energy now...). Whitney hit the airwaves around 1985 and her music was very popular, especially in the gay bars. I spent many a weekend dancing away to her music.

It was an important part of my life and she was a part of it, so I guess that is why I am feeling such a loss.

-helen
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I spent my late morning and afternoon watching the funeral. Some parts were very touching. It's sad that one doesn't really know how much one touches others, then they are gone.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Whenever I speak to my children I tell them that I love them. I'm always telling my partner how much I love her. Let people know how you feel about them when they are alive and you won't have any regrets about not expressing your feelings for them after they die.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Saw a TV story that said that she possibly had a drug problem. Why do celebs always seem to have this problem that cuts short their lives?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Saw a TV story that said that she possibly had a drug problem. Why do celebs always seem to have this problem that cuts short their lives?
I don't think they "always" do. For those who do, same reason as non-celebs, the others just don't get the publicity...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I don't think they "always" do. For those who do, same reason as non-celebs, the others just don't get the publicity...

You are correct, of course. I should have said "often" rather than "always seem". The story noted a number of entertainers (can't recall the names) who have died and had an association with drugs abuse. I do not know a single person who abuses drugs. So there's that... I was also surprised that there was so much redundant TV coverage on the death.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #34
Administrator

Not sure celebs have a higher death rate form drugs or not.

Quote:
Drugs exceeded motor vehicle accidents as a cause of death in 2009, killing at least 37,485 people nationwide, according to preliminary data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
They might have a greater tendency to substance abuse because they are expected to give their absolute best each time they perform, they certainly are judged publicly by that standard, and their industry and employers enable substance abuse like no other.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Consider those aging celebs that seem healthy both physically and psychosocially. People like Bruce Springsteen, Bono, David Bowie, Tina Turner and Madonna. What’s different with them? I speculate they’ve centered their lives on things other than their celebrity. Things like charity work, faith and helping children. Sadly, I think Whitney’s life was primarily centered on her fame, beauty and amazing talent. When that started to fade, she may have become depressed and lost. I’m so sorry we lost her so soon. Such a remarkable woman.

For us, as early retirees or those who aspire to retire early, I think we can learn from this. Don’t define yourself by your career or how others perceive you. It’s something I’ve struggled with for sure.