Join Early Retirement Today

Who Are You Voting For?
Old 10-17-2004, 01:20 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Who Are You Voting For?

Lets get this subject onto its own topic! Perhaps the forum administrator will offer a prize to the winning posters (a bottle of Two Buck Chuck?) funded by the losing posters.

Bush/Cheney Sign me up!

BUM
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Who Are You Voting For?
Old 10-17-2004, 02:12 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Canadians can't vote of course, but polls show most of us don't like Bush.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 02:17 PM   #3

Hey Mr. BUM,

For a bottle of Two Buck Chuck, I guess you can buy my vote.
I have "at least" 10 I can sell. 8)

MJ
Old 10-17-2004, 02:47 PM   #4

Hi Zipper. A lot of us don't like Canadians
(except Joanie Mitchell and Gordon Lightfoot)

John Galt
Old 10-17-2004, 07:19 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Most Canadians like Americans John. We speak the same, look the same, and have the same values. We consider you cousins. In fact, many of us have American relatives, me included. Michigan is only an hour from where I'm typing, Ohio is just across Lake Erie, and Buffalo is a 2 hour drive. We just think Bush has taken you down the wrong road.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 07:26 PM   #6

John Galt is one "American Cousin" the rest of the family should keep locked away in the attic, Zipper.

Hey John, get a clue.
Most of us gave up that Ayn Rand bullshit when we became grownups.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:20 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

Some days I feel like the lone democrat here. I voted for Bush the last time around, but am voting for Kerry this time.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Some days I feel like the lone democrat here. I *voted for Bush the last time around, but am voting for Kerry this time.
Take heart - You're not alone. I am a Yellow Dog Democrat. Like anne, my first vote was for Mcgovern.

Old 10-18-2004, 05:05 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I consider myself a moderate. IMHO, the Republicans are no longer moderate, so I have only one real choice.

Sometimes I wish we had a proportional system so that a third option would be a real option and not a waste. And then sometimes I see what proportional systems are like and swing back the other way.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:42 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Kerry. I wanted to vote for McGovern but I wasn't quite old enough.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 06:36 AM   #11

Bush has taken a long-term strategy in everything he has done which I can appreciate since that is what I have done to plan for ER. For example, short-term any war is bad because our soldiers die and get wounded and it costs lots of money. But long-term, it's good (assuming we win) because it sows the seeds of freedom AND removes threats to the US which is one of the few things I count on my government to do for me.

Likewise, short-term planning for ER is bad because I could have had more fun by spending all my money on luxury items instead of saving it for the future. It's a sacrifice I had to make by not buying the fancy cars and living in million dollar homes like many of my friends have. Now after more than a decade of moderate living, I already have the luxury of more time for myself and my family that they don't have. They are working 40 plus hours a week and will probably have to until they are at least 65 while I work 20 hours a week now in my 30s and less than half that by the time I turn 40. I thought long-term, they didn't. I think I'm better off for doing so.

So I know short-term Bush's policies don't look good, but I'm sure the Mona Lisa didn't look good either when it was half-painted.

My vote is for Bush.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:50 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a Floridian voting for Bush, but would rather see a Libertarian in the White House.

-Jay

Old 10-18-2004, 07:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Likewise, short-term planning for ER is bad because I could have had more fun by spending all my money on luxury items instead of saving it for the future.
I think you're are trying to convince yourself, because I'm not sure anyone here would buy your argument.

Running up the record public debt that Bush has; a good plan to follow for ER ! Who's future do you think his planning for?
Old 10-18-2004, 07:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Running up the record public debt that Bush has; a good plan to follow for ER ! * Who's future do you think his planning for?
My post actually stated that I have sacrificed by saving while my friends were spending, so short-term they were having more fun than me. So in the short-term, saving for ER is bad (especially if you die before you ER )

I'm no expert on deficit spending, but didn't Reagan (another long-term thinker) use deficit spending to stimulate the economy? My recollection is that long-term the economy did get better between 1982 and 1988. I wouldn't want deficit spending forever, but I think if it's used wisely, it's a tool the government can use once in a while to give the economy a boost just like lowering taxes and interest rates.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:43 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm not sure that W's spending is mostly of the "spur the economy" type. (i.e. Prescription Drug Benefit, Iraq, etc.)

I'm all for cyclical deficit spending to try and even out business cycles (ala Keynes), but we've never really done that. With a few exceptions, it's spend like we're crazy in the good years and spend like we're completely nuts in the down years. That's not cyclical spending, that's a downward spiral!
Old 10-18-2004, 10:53 AM   #16

Fiscally, I'm moderate/conservative. Socially, I'm liberal, even libertarian. However, I don't believe these liberties extend to corporations, which do require some regulation, especially environmental. With regards to international relations, I tend towards being an isolationist, when we do take military action (except in an emergency) we should do it with international cooperation. I also lean towards 'free trade'. Bush's policies are diametric. I'm voting for Kerry.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:11 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm voting for Mickey Mouse until somebody who looks like they might represent actual leadership shows up.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 11:38 AM   #18

Quote:
I'm voting for Mickey Mouse until somebody who looks like they might represent actual leadership shows up.

I'd do the same if he had a chance of winning.

Actually, Ralph Nader is more accomplished than both Bush and Kerry. For decades he used his intellect and convictions as an advocate for the American people. His work led to significant advances in automobile safety. He has many accomplishments in consumer rights, environment, open government, and public safety.

The auto industry fought Nader on auto safety. Now they advertise safety as a feature, and we're all better off.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:33 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had heard...bearing in mind I didnt research this myself...from some fairly credible people that Nader really knows his stuff in some areas, and definitely knows what to say to fire some people up...but in many policy areas he doesnt know enough.

I saw some poll stuff that said in a two man stand up race, it comes down to 8-9 states making the decision and Kerry probably wins enough of them to take it.

In a three man race with Nader, he bleeds enough from Kerry to give Bush the win.

I *am* fairly disgusted about the efforts to keep Nader off the ballots. I thought this was a democracy...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 01:33 PM   #20

I am not voting. Yet, if Bush wins I will be very
pleased to say the least.

John Galt