Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Who carries a pocket knife regularly?
Old 04-22-2007, 06:54 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

I used to carry one but not any more due to all of the scanners that I seem to have to endure. Anyone know of a good plastic or wooden knife?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2007, 07:55 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

My friend had a "CIA letter opener" years ago.

There's also this one. New federal regulations state : Carrying this CIA Letter Opener into an airport is a felony offense.

So, don't get too carried away.

They're actually sharp as a razor, but you can't really sharpen them, that I know of, if you "ding" 'em up or anything.

-CC

Old 04-22-2007, 08:00 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I usually carry either a leatherman or a marlin spike. They are both great for boating, the leatherman has useful tools and the marlin spike helps loosen knots. Plus, the marlin spike has an easy to use sharp knife good for quickly cutting ropes and lines, which is very useful at times.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:18 PM   #44

i'd liek to snag one of those money clips that fold out into a knife, or leatherman type thing...somethign really thin and small and light

thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:36 PM   #45

The bug bit me again! I ended up buying 4 or 5 knives today online from different vendors. I can't wait to get all those packages!!!

To whoever inquired about a plastic knife, check this out....its a plastic replica of my favorite knife to carry...I own 3 of the metal model

eBay: THE BLACKIE COLLINS ZYTEL CIA SPRING ASSIST KNIFE BLADE (item 140089116052 end time Jul-22-07 10:58:21 PDT)
Old 06-27-2007, 10:05 AM   #46

This Eagle Scout doesn't feel quite right without his Swiss Army knife.
Keim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:21 PM   #47

Swiss army knife here too. Also have a Cold Steel and Spyderco that can clip on, but they are both serrated blades and I haven't figured out how to sharpen them yet!
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:56 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

I have a swiss army knife with pretty pink flowers on it.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 05:13 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Bought my first pocket knife when I was 10. Had to see how sharp it was and cut myself on the inside of my finger were the joint bends--developed a wart there that lasted almost 20 years. Have carried a small pocket knife every since then. Have a cheapy 4-5" Barlow right now-tip broke off on the small end, but makes a perfect screwdriver. When my step-father died, I got his old junk pocket knife and had a jeweler engrave his name, birth date, and death date on it--still have it. Planning on doing the same when my real father dies. My step-father had a big heavy dagger (from WWII ) that we used to play mumbilty (sp) peg with. It was such a great knife that you could go through the whole game 2-3 times and not lose a turn.
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:16 PM   #50

I was in the local hardware store about a month ago and passed their knife case. I spotted a really nice Swiss Army knife for a decent price, and latched onto it. Haven't used it much yet....but it's there when I need it!

Then I was at the local farm store about a week later and spotted a neat little job by Columbia that looks like the Leatherman but is only 2.5" long (closed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I used to carry a military surplus US Marines folding pocket knife. I stopped carrying it because it was bumping my cell phone in my pocket and scratching it up and turning on the speakerphone option.
I solved the problem by not carrying my cellphone, except when I absolutely need to. Heck, I carried knives LONG before they ever invented cellphones!

Score: Knives - 1 Cellphones - 0
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:43 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
been wearing a Leatherman for about the last 10 years ... broke the tip in 2 of the knives; sooo I paid MORE for a Gerber look-alike. Blades don't lock on the Gerber and the pliers are not needle nose ... so back to the broken Leatherman.
I found an old Leatherman a number of years ago and know that they are guaranteed for 25 years. Inside each Leatherman is a S/N that has the year on it. I ended up emailing them for information, then it cost me just a couple dollars to mail it to them in Oregon, I think. They returned a new (rebuilt) one, not the same one I sent them (I think the new one had CM in addition to inches).
You might do the same.
Here's the link:
Leatherman Warranty Information
BigBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:12 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I'm carrying a Kershaw Needs Work
Kershaw Knives - Ken Onion Needs Work 1820
and a Swiss Army knife since I'm doing a lot of hiking.
Usually the SAK is all I need.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:53 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

I've carried the same Buck Lite Stainless for over 20 years. Feel naked without it!
flpanhandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:14 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post

how do you like the Kershaw? Is it assisted open? I think thats what the 'speed safe' refers to....

i have been eyeing that knife for a while...very nice looking....and looks solid too
Old 06-28-2007, 04:25 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Thefed,
TheBladeShop-Benchmade knives and Much More. has good prices it was $27.

KERSHAW 1820 ASSISTED OPEN NEEDS WORK LINERLOCK
you can get 1 1/14 seration added for $33
I might buy one get one there.

It is an assisted opener - you push on a bump on the back and it opens.

The blade design gives you more usable blade - I really like it.
I've learned that the metal and sharpening is the most important aspect of a knife. The metal is a good one. The blade length of 3" is great for me also.

There is also a "Random Leek" from Kershaw has a similar blade.
If you are going to get it also buy a Spyderco Sharpmaker.

BladeForums.com has a ot info about knives.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:10 PM   #56

Thanks for the forum link...i always enjoy a new forum!

I like the knife and might pick one up soon...i dolike the blade design.

I am also researching sharpening kits, such as the one you linked. I have no experience using them though, but suspect that the included cideo will help with that. i currently use a one-piece triangular shaped sharpener...3 bucks from walmart
Old 06-28-2007, 05:31 PM   #57

I was looking at a Randall fighting knife when I thougt I was going to get deployed to Iraq. Luckily I didn't go, but would have sprung for the knife. It would have been a lifelong keepsake when I returned.

I have a buddy who did the same in Viet Nam. Course Randalls were much cheaper back then, but still very expensive...

I work around active military and they can get automatic knives. One of them had some sort of pushbutton benchmade.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:28 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
I was looking at a Randall fighting knife when I thougt I was going to get deployed to Iraq. Luckily I didn't go, but would have sprung for the knife. It would have been a lifelong keepsake when I returned.

I have a buddy who did the same in Viet Nam. Course Randalls were much cheaper back then, but still very expensive...

I work around active military and they can get automatic knives. One of them had some sort of pushbutton benchmade.

i just began researching the randalls recently..very nice

benchmade is on my to-get list....full autos are very easy to come by now with the internet...no military id needed
Old 06-28-2007, 09:12 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post

well, it didnt take much...my first ever kershaw is on the way...the 'needs work' cos me 30 shipped and should arrive ina few days

geez...i think im addicted to knives...ugghh....it gets tough deciding which to carry
Old 06-28-2007, 09:22 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
well, it didnt take much...my first ever kershaw is on the way...the 'needs work' cos me 30 shipped and should arrive ina few days
geez...i think im addicted to knives...ugghh....it gets tough deciding which to carry
Where did you get it?
Did you get the serrations added?