My child/children 0 0%
Everyone fends for him/herself 7 10.29%
Another adult who lives in the household 1 1.47%
The help 0 0%
Cook? What's that? The restaurent does the cooking 4 5.88%
Other (Please explain) 2 2.94%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I do............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #22

I grill, DW cooks.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I live alone and don't particularly like to cook. I try to streamline things as much as possible while still eating healthy. A typical day is eggs, yogurt, and fruit for breakfast; salad and turkey burger for lunch; stir fry for dinner. About every two weeks I grill turkey burgers, chicken, and/or beef and freeze individual portions. The George Foreman grill gets a lot of use! I always have portions of cooked meat and cleaned/chopped veggies in the fridge, so I can make a quick stir fry or grilled meat/veggies for dinner--takes no more than 10-15 minutes. In winter I use the crock pot for soups or chilis.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
I live alone and don't particularly like to cook. I try to streamline things as much as possible while still eating healthy. A typical day is eggs, yogurt, and fruit for breakfast; salad and turkey burger for lunch; stir fry for dinner. About every two weeks I grill turkey burgers, chicken, and/or beef and freeze individual portions. The George Foreman grill gets a lot of use! I always have portions of cooked meat and cleaned/chopped veggies in the fridge, so I can make a quick stir fry or grilled meat/veggies for dinner--takes no more than 10-15 minutes. In winter I use the crock pot for soups or chilis.
Hey Marita, DW just bought one of the new George Foreman grills that come apart in a flash and you just put it in the dishwasher. The top and bottom grilling sections just unclip (after they cool down), rinse them off and into the dishwasher. Neat.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #25

Yep, that's the one I have. I had an earlier one that was a bear to clean because the grids didn't come off. Another tip: after you remove food and unplug, put a wad of wet paper towels on the grill and close it while it cools. This loosens all the food particles and makes it a snap to clean whether by hand or in the dishwasher.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #26

DW cooks mostly, but I cook in a big way on the weekend. Ummmm
Old 06-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
I try to streamline things as much as possible while still eating healthy. I grill turkey burgers, chicken, and/or beef and freeze individual portions.
This has been very helpful for us since I retired. Where we used to make 2-4 servings, I now make 6-12 servings more often than not. We've always cooked from scratch for the most part, but where we used to choose things we could make in about 30 minutes or less, I also make more complex dinners sometimes out to 60 minutes or more. We're eating healthier now, without paying more, and actually spending less time cooking overall (thanks to the freezer). Wunderbar!

Too soon old, too late smart...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #28

We split it - but the proportion probably leans towards the hubster doing more of the cooking. That's because he's working fewer hours than me these days so he's home earlier.

On weekends I do it all.

On weekdays he does most dinners. I pack the kids lunches and supervise their breakfast prep.

Since we still have youngish kids (pre-teen) we do a family sit-down dinner every night. I feel like Ward Cleaver when I walk in from work - dinner is ready to go, kids are pestering me with questions. But my husband can't quite pull of the pearls like June Cleaver. LOL

We both enjoy cooking. We recently redid our kitchen and it's far more functional now. (My fav is the stainless steel counters - great for prep work, no maintenance, and cleans up super easy.) It's not uncommon for us to try new recipes/dishes together since we both enjoy it and are opinionated in what should go into a dish.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
(My fav is the stainless steel counters - great for prep work, no maintenance, and cleans up super easy.)
In the submarine force we refer to that decor as "galley".

Add in some corrosion-resistant stainless steel bulkheads, a terrazo deck, and a big extinguisher system over the grill to put out a grease fire... and you'll be eligible for sea pay!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:50 PM   #30
Confused about dryer sheets

I don't think you can buy frozen dinners in California. We have to go the the farmer's market and get fresh food every other day.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:45 AM   #31

I think you missed the 50-50 option.

That said, I voted "every man for himself" which is true unless we have company. When we do, I tend to cook (except for DW's special dishes) and she handles the aftermath.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:13 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

I cook all meals. The only cooking appliance DH knows how to operate is the microwave and he only uses it to reheat stuff and cook instant noodle.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:52 AM   #33

DW can't boil water without something going wrong. (she admits this, but can pour cereal for b'fast etc).

I do almost all the cooking. Pretty good at it too....
Old 06-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #34

I cook and DH cleans up. I try to plan early enough to get something thawed for dinner and I'm pretty good at getting all the parts of dinner ready at the same time. I kind of like doing it but sometimes I wish someone else would plan it and I could just get it cooked and on the table.

DH doesn't mind cleaning up. He just can't get past putting dirty dishes in the dishwasher, he insists on washing them first. If he's not looking I'll sneak some dirty ones in.

I also do the grilling. When we turned on the grill the first time this spring flames shot out the front near the dials. This was the 2nd time this happened and we last repaired it 4 years ago. Time to get a new grill. I shopped around and found a nice one and it's been great, a lot more even heating than my last one. DH will hook up the propane when it's time for a new tank but he does not cook on the grill. Just not his thing, so I do it and enjoy it.

I cook Monday through Thursday. Friday is take-out night with our sons if they are available. Saturday and Sunday are leftovers or make your own. If we are all together I may put together something simple.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #35

Here is what I find interesting. There are 29 people who say they have a spouse/significant other and the person answering the poll (ie the person who posts here) is the one who cooks. There are 8 people with a spouse/significant other whose spouse/significant other does the cooking. That would seem way more than chance would account for. So, is it that people who post here also tend to be people who have a lot of time on their hands and so cook? (For example, retired but the spouse isn't?) Or, is this a matter of perception? That is, would the person's spouse agree that the person here is doing most of the cooking?

I would also add that my perception is that a majority of posters are male and traditionally women were more likely to be the one's cooking in traditional husband/wife household. Yet, that doesn't seem to be the case with the posters to this forum.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

I do the food and household buying, meal planning, and all cooking. Occasionally, DW will cook an egg or can of soup for herself as lunch as I don't eat lunch and we both don't eat breakfast. She may make packaged oatmeal, or toast once in a while, too, come to think of it. As coffee is our breakfast, whoever is in the least stunned state of mind will make the coffee when we awake.

I am almost obsessed with food buying, prep, and eating. My wife will eat anything I make for us. If left to her own devices, she would live on Progresso canned soup, canned Deviled Ham, and Townhouse crackers. I try to make what we both like but will make separate items for each of us if one of us doesn't like the other's fave food. For example, I do not like salmon and when I would make that for her I would have something else even though it stinks up the whole house like low tide!

I think I show my love by making food for the people I like, ie my wife. I have done this since before I went to college and was mowing grass at Radford college for a living.

I don't do much of anything else around the house. She does all the kitchen and house cleaning. Neither of us cleans much. I would live in a pig sty as long as there was no sanitation problem. My wife reaches a certain point and then goes on a cleaning session. Oh, yeah, since retirement, I have done all my own laundry and do the bed sheets, etc, when she so instructs me. It really is the least I can do! Really. The least...

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote