Who dies with the most toys, wins!

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Embarassing confession of a closet hoarder, with too many interests, who can't pass up free or low priced "stuff".

A quick, partial listing of the "extra" "unnecessaries". Remember... currently three "homes"... total of less than what some here, have as an annual income. Almost nothing bought "new", but most of the smaller "stuff" coming from resale stores @ $.02 to $.10 on the dollar.

'98 Lincoln
'96 Cadillac
'87 Club Car golf cart
'88 Kawasaki 200cc scooter
'79 Honda Mototrbike
'74 Airguide exercycle
'62 Ted Williams fibrglas fishing boat
'64 Sears alminum Sailing Canoe
'70 10 ft.Aquacycle aluminum pontoon boat
5 electric boat motors
'68 Schwinn bent-tube bike
'74 Motobecane
'72 Roadway experimental mountain bike
'94 Mongoose mountain bike
'96 Schwinn bike
6 telescopes
3 binoculars
8 digital cameras
4 vintage Polaroid cameras
5 vintage Canon and similar 35mm cameras
2 microscopes
1875 Singer Pharoah sewing machine (a wonderful fun research hobby)
Gerber IVB signmaker computer
9 desktops
1 Laptop
3 Tablets
4 vintage computers Adam, Sinclair Apple 2e, TRs 80
Many thousand $$$ in tools... for wood, metal and automotive
4 mowers,
3 edgers
2 blowers
1 rider mower
1 coin and 1 stamp collection
5 misc/ Scott, Bose, Pioneer, Fischer, stereo/combo's
Full Backpacking outfits... packs, utensils, tents etc.
6 fishing poles
3 Grilles
2 water vacs
1 Remote control sailboat
several "fighting" kites
... that's enough for starters

Everything works, and will go to kids or charities or waste management in the next few years. In the meantime...things to do in my spare time. Toys, Toys, Toys...

The confessional is open. :greetings10:

That list reminds me of all the toys I have too. I will not begin the list for fear of reminding me of all the stuff I have. We won't even talk about the woodworking tools or camera gear because the wife might be notice!

A while back, there was a thread where people counted the number of wheels that they had. They had to be pneumatic tires, so car and bike tires and trailer tires would count, and even those of larger hand trucks. I remember that I did not do too badly.

4 mowers,
3 edgers
2 blowers...

Sorry, but I would not count the above as toys. :nonono:

A while back, there was a thread where people counted the number of wheels that they had. They had to be pneumatic tires, so car and bike tires and trailer tires would count, and even those of larger hand trucks. I remember that I did not do too badly.
Sorry, but I would not count the above as toys. :nonono:

:facepalm:
Toys... because they're mementoes of things I used to use, but for tasks that are now being performed by others... and I forgot to include the hand truck and wheel barrows. Thanks for the memories.

:LOL:

Speaking of toys, I have no boat nor kayak but a few dirt or trail motorbikes, and they are not expensive. My more expensive toys sit on the electronic benches: spectrum analyzers, signal generators, o'scopes. These lab-grade instruments were purchased for work, and now just used for hobby.

Last edited:
LOL. Great post. I spent the day cleaning my workroom and marveling at how much stuff I have from Home Depot and places like that that I haven't used. I filled up a big basket with stuff that is still new in its packages that I'm going to take back. Am sure the answer on some of it will be 'Wow we haven't stocked this in 10 years'. I took the saying literally and my stash includes actual toys! Playmobil, Forces of Valor, slot cars, plastic model kits - even inherited a few boxes of these from my Dad so there must be a gene!

We currently have 3 digital cameras, but they are all inexpensive (<$300 new).

But I paid for 6. One was dunked in sea water by DW, one lost by DW, and one lost by DS.

That might be handy the next time you come across 8 maids a-milking an octopus.

Octopus selfies. Simultaneously, and at the same time, too!

Who dies with the most toys(gold), wins!
hate to be the party pooper...I think wins is wrong, it is looses. you can't take it with you!

ER'd last week and I am sorting and reducing my stuff. Just need the stuff that I'll use.

I can't imagine hoarding things like this, or anything for that matter. When we buy a new something, the old something it replaced is gone. We periodically purge the house and garage via Craigslist or just putting stuff out by the road (amazing what hoarders, I mean people will pick up). I hate clutter and believe in "a place for everything and everything in its place". Yeah, I'm a little anal-retentive :)

Our toys are musical. DH is a paid professional musician, except no one pays enough. DS is finishing a double major in music ed and media arts--it looks like media arts is winning as a career, so what to do with the xylophone and vibes, we are not sure yet. So here we go, small to large:

2 piccolos (C and Db)
4 flutes (2 professional models, 2 almost dead student models from 40 years ago)
1 bass flute
1 electric violin
1 violin
1 clarinet
1 oboe
1 trumpet
1 alto saxophone
multiple electronic keyboards/synthesizers, midi gadgets, not sure how many as they are always at gigs)
a collection of small percussion (jingle bells, tambourine, triangle)
1 set of orchestra bells
2 drum sets-one very small for rehearsals
1 vibraphone
1 xylophone
1 baby grand piano

Downsizing will be impossible in the near future.:(

Embarassing confession of a closet hoarder, with too many interests, who can't pass up free or low priced "stuff".

A quick, partial listing of the "extra" "unnecessaries". Remember... currently three "homes"... total of less than what some here, have as an annual income. Almost nothing bought "new", but most of the smaller "stuff" coming from resale stores @ $.02 to $.10 on the dollar.

'98 Lincoln
'96 Cadillac
'87 Club Car golf cart
'88 Kawasaki 200cc scooter
'79 Honda Mototrbike
'74 Airguide exercycle
'62 Ted Williams fibrglas fishing boat
'64 Sears alminum Sailing Canoe
'70 10 ft.Aquacycle aluminum pontoon boat
5 electric boat motors
'68 Schwinn bent-tube bike
'74 Motobecane
'72 Roadway experimental mountain bike
'94 Mongoose mountain bike
'96 Schwinn bike
6 telescopes
3 binoculars
8 digital cameras
4 vintage Polaroid cameras
5 vintage Canon and similar 35mm cameras
2 microscopes
1875 Singer Pharoah sewing machine (a wonderful fun research hobby)
Gerber IVB signmaker computer
9 desktops
1 Laptop
3 Tablets
4 vintage computers Adam, Sinclair Apple 2e, TRs 80
Many thousand $$$ in tools... for wood, metal and automotive
4 mowers,
3 edgers
2 blowers
1 rider mower
1 coin and 1 stamp collection
5 misc/ Scott, Bose, Pioneer, Fischer, stereo/combo's
Full Backpacking outfits... packs, utensils, tents etc.
6 fishing poles
3 Grilles
2 water vacs
1 Remote control sailboat
several "fighting" kites
... that's enough for starters

Everything works, and will go to kids or charities or waste management in the next few years. In the meantime...things to do in my spare time. Toys, Toys, Toys...

The confessional is open. :greetings10:

What can you do with 3 grills? That could be a heck of a barbecue party!!!

Man! Go outside and do something (assuming you're in FL now). You've got too much time on your hands. The next person to make a list of my belongings will be DD after I'm dead. And hopefully she'll just call Purple Heart or something.

I can't imagine hoarding things like this, or anything for that matter. When we buy a new something, the old something it replaced is gone. We periodically purge the house and garage via Craigslist or just putting stuff out by the road (amazing what hoarders, I mean people will pick up). I hate clutter and believe in "a place for everything and everything in its place". Yeah, I'm a little anal-retentive :)

I can't either. To me it is a little horrifying. But then, some people that I like and respect a lot do the same thing. I just don't get it.

For me, there are several components to the decision to buy.

1. "Can I afford it?
2. "Do I really want it more than anything else that is similarly priced?"
3. "Is this the best use of my money?"
4. "Where will I put it?"

Number 4 above comes to mind... :D I have a hard enough time keeping some space available in my closets as it is.

I have to admit that the idea of owning nothing (as discussed in another thread today) is more appealing to me than owning multiples of so many things.

I heard that mantra a few times from older coworkers when I was just starting out.

I later decided it was one of the dumbest things I ever heard.

Number 4. is a good one, and oh so critical W2R!

Last edited:
Just today DW said "we need a bigger garage".
Its because it is stuffed with stuff !
I even have a canoe I bought 10 yrs ago, and never went canoeing with it :eek: But its outside as the garage is too full.
I am thinking of purging as the place is getting crowded.

I think he who dies later wins.

And in less pain too, please.

Just today DW said "we need a bigger garage".
Its because it is stuffed with stuff !
I even have a canoe I bought 10 yrs ago, and never went canoeing with it :eek: But its outside as the garage is too full.
I am thinking of purging as the place is getting crowded.

I live in a neighborhood where many homes have 3 plus place garages. As I walk the neighborhood daily with my dog, I get to [-]snoop[/-] observe how many of those garages are stuffed with junk, leaving the cars out in the Michigan winters to collect snow and ice. I'd say that at least half have a least one car space full of junk.

DW and I are TRYING to get into the decumulation phase of life. Failing. Friends still give us small gifts of picture frames, trinkets etc. We tell them to give us wine but...

More challenging: our house has been in the family for 5 generations now...no one has ever moved out-they just die- so there's something like 150 years of [-]accumulated stuff[/-] junk hanging around.

My upper hallway is lined with medium size boxes of stuff to be put out alongside the road once the snow melts. Some of it came from helping to organize the clutter at a buddy's house, thinking I could use it versus throwing it into the dumpster he rented. Some of it is mine. :blush:
I used to store a lot of it in my spare bedroom, which is now a full time plant growing room. A much better use of the room. :D

My next warmer weather project is to go through the tools in the garage, sorting through stuff that belonged to my late FIL and late husband. Plus Mr B brought his tools (some of which belonged to his father) into the equation 5 years ago. He can sort through all that.

What I do not use and/or never will use will go to my local Legion for anyone who wants it or simply put out by the road. All Craftsman tools and non-specialized power tools that we need will be kept, of course. The rest is toast !

What I will keep is the nuts and bolts, screws, brackets and miscellaneous hardware. The replacement value on all that is pretty steep.

Digital things are taken to the town electronics recycle place on a regular basis, so not much hanging around in that department.

He who has the most toys still dies...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum