Who do you write like?

Stephenie Meyer, who I had never heard of. Ick. A mormon mom who writes tacky vampire novels. I need a bath now.

When I paste in excerpts from well-known Stephen King works, the site says I write like Stephen King.

When I paste in excerpts from rare or unpublished Stephen King works, the site says I write like Ursula K. Leguin or Dan Brown.

Something's fishy....

On the subject of Grammar, I am OCD. Since "like" is a preposition (What is a Preposition?), and since "a preposition is not a good word to end a sentence with"
Must... resist... obvious... joke... too... weak... fail...

A Texan is on the Harvard campus and he stops someone and asks "Say, can you tell me where the library is at?"

The Harvard student replies, "At Harvard, we don't end a sentence in a preposition"

The Texan replies, "Sorry, say, can you tell me where the library is at, a$$#0l3?"

A Texan is on the Harvard campus and he stops someone and asks "Say, can you tell me where the library is at?"

The Harvard student replies, "At Harvard, we don't end a sentence in a preposition"

The Texan replies, "Sorry, say, can you tell me where the library is at, a$$#0l3?"

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

A few more grammatical rules to live by ...

1. Verbs HAS to agree with their subjects.
2. Prepositions are not words to end sentences with.
3. And don't start a sentence with a conjunction.
4. It is wrong to ever split an infinitive.
5. Avoid cliches like the plague. (They're old hat)
6. Also, always avoid annoying alliteration.
7. Be more or less specific.
8. Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary.
9. Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies.
10. No sentence fragments.
11. Contractions aren't necessary and shouldn't be used.
12. Foreign words and phrases are not apropos.
13. Do not be redundant; do not use more words than necessary; it's
highly superfluous.
14. One should NEVER generalize.
15. Comparisons are as bad as cliches.
16. Eschew ampersands & abbreviations, etc.
17. One-word sentences? Eliminate.
18. Analogies in writing are like feathers on a snake.
19. The passive voice is to be ignored.
20. Eliminate commas, that are, not necessary. Parenthetical words
however should be enclosed in commas.
21. Never use a big word when a diminutive one would suffice.
22. Use words correctly, irregardless of how others use them.
23. Understatement is always the absolute best way to put forth earth-
shaking ideas.
24. Eliminate quotations. As Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "I hate
quotations. Tell me what you know."
25. If you've heard it once, you've heard it a thousand times: Resist
hyperbole; not one writer in a million can use it correctly.
26. Puns are for children, not groan readers.
27. Go around the barn at high noon to avoid colloquialisms.
28. Even IF a mixed metaphor sings, it should be derailed.
29. Who needs rhetorical questions?

BTW, when I entered 1-29 above into IWL, it came back as H.P. Lovecraft :LOL:

I also write like Cory Doctorow, which is cool since he's one of my favorite authors. I did the test 3 times with different examples of my writing and got the same answer each time, so I'm buying into it. Hopefully I can start producing excellent novels, cartoons, blogs, and graphic novels. And maybe Cory will hire me to replace him at Boing Boing. :D

Okee dokee - I pasted the same 3 paragraphs in this site and instead of Edgar Allen Poe I got:

a moonstruck lunatic possibly actually wearing a straightjacket :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Side note: I just checked with the people at the Department of Redundancy Department and "moonstruck lunatic" meets with their approval.

I grabbed an old newspaper column I wrote about ten years ago, and learned that I write like James Joyce. One of my least favorite authors, so that was kind of a downer.

Can't believe it...............STEPHEN KING for me.............:)

I write like…a mark ripe for plucking : Pharyngula

here's a devious web site called "I write like…" that is making the rounds — you paste in some of your text, and it claims to analyze it and tell you what famous writer you resemble. I, for instance, am a combination of Margaret Atwood, James Joyce, and HP Lovecraft. How flattering! Unfortunately, it's garbage code that plucks out a few random parameters and hands you back a big name author.

Who would do such a thing, and why? You will not be surprised to learn that it is a front for a vanity publisher. Hey, you write like Shakespeare — give me money and we'll publish your book!

Which sent me here: Making Light: "I write like <i>who</i>?"

Fraud! Cheat! Writing an application that could analyze prose style would be a real achievement. Writing one that compares vocabulary (and probably a few other characteristics like sentence length) is trivially easy. I’m not saying I could do it right this moment; I’m just saying it’s not hard.
Foo. Wanted cool; got balonium.

I cut and pasted 6 submissions - all complaint letters I have written since I got my life back (post-FIRE, of course). According to this site, my style is:
Charles Dickens, then H P Lovecraft, then David Foster Wallace, then Charles Dickens (again), then Isaac Asimov, then Cory Doctorow.

I'm crushed I didn't get Edgar Allen Poe.

REWahoo is likely correct "I'm beginning to suspect a RAG (random author generator)".

Well, I got Cory Doctorow 3 times with 3 different samples. 3 times in a row, I like his writing, perception is reality, therefore this is the real thing. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom