Join Early Retirement Today

Who does the grocery shopping?
Old 06-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Who does the grocery shopping?

This article claims that men are slightly more likely to do the grocery shopping for U.S. households:

Majority of dads say they do the grocery shopping - Life Inc.

My husband took over the grocery shopping shortly after we got married, when he was still working. He got up earlier than I liked to do on weekends, and the groceries would be on the kitchen table when I got up. Now retired, he still makes up the lists, clips coupons, paces outside the store door until they open it, and races around the store as if trying to win first prize in a grocery hunt. I always thought this was unusual male behavior (especially since I do all the cooking) but apparently it isn't?

Amethyst

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
This article claims that men are slightly more likely to do the grocery shopping for U.S. households:

Majority of dads say they do the grocery shopping - Life Inc.

My husband took over the grocery shopping shortly after we got married, when he was still working. He got up earlier than I liked to do on weekends, and the groceries would be on the kitchen table when I got up. Now retired, he still makes up the lists, clips coupons, paces outside the store door until they open it, and races around the store as if trying to win first prize in a grocery hunt. I always thought this was unusual male behavior (especially since I do all the cooking) but apparently it isn't?

Amethyst
When I was married I did about half of grcery shopping.

Ha

Old 06-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Now that I'm retired and DW is still working, (naturally) I do all the grocery shopping and all the breakfast and dinner cooking. Even when we were both working, DW didn't like grocery shopping and I didn't mind, so I probably did it more often. Always viewed it as a challenge to save money.

We never shopped for groceries on weekends though, wouldn't want it to cut into precious weekend activities. Now I do almost all the grocery shopping on Tuesdays when the local Farmers Markets are open. Buy all I can from local farmers and then get everything else from grocery stores.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:
I always thought this was unusual male behavior.
Only if you are an unusual male (as I am ).

Yes, I do it - and spend much less $$$ than DW when she takes over the chore.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've always done the basic shopping. I was used to it from living by myself for a few years. DW never lived by herself. She does the bargin hunting at all the other stores, using the coupons and ads. And probably using more gas than she saves in bargins?
Old 06-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #6

My wife does most of ours, if only because she goes out of town a lot more than I do, and thus has more frequent opportunities to go to grocery stores that don't suck as badly as the one in our town does.

Before we moved out here -- both in San Jose and in Houston -- we usually went together.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

If my DH did the grocery shopping, all we would have in the house would be beer, chips and salsa.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #8

I have done the grocery shopping for most of my married life. The last 10 years with new DW she does it when she is able to.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:14 PM   #9

I do most of it, especially now retired. Actually enjoy doing it, and she agrees we eat better stuff when I do. Better as in more varied. She gets in a rut. If I say "why don't you get dinner tonight" based on recent eats I can about predict what she'll bring home. I learned a long time ago to go easy on compliments of meals; overdo it and you'd likely get it every week for the next year!
Old 06-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
If my DH did the grocery shopping, all we would have in the house would be beer, chips and salsa.
So funny--I was thinking that is the shopping list used by the dads in the survey (but more beer. And maybe bacon).
Old 06-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And? Three food groups!

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Well, I suppose his 'list' is not too bad. ...as long as he picked up some chocolate too...
Old 06-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #13

I do most of the grocery shopping as I, for the most part, know what is needed. DW only know what she wants. I hate it when she says "lets go to Publix, they are having their buy one-get one sale". She's a suckier for that crap. Sometimes it's good but most times it's just a come-on to get you fill up your shopping cart. I always tell her to take the advertized price for one and divide by two and see if that price is a deal. Not! I can't believe how they jack up the price in order to give you the BOGO price. We must all be stupid in their minds. You just end up buying stuff you normally would not. I like to make a list as the week goes on and knowing what we are low on, clip coupons on things we use and never clip a coupon for less than 50 cents. I hate coupons that make you buy four of something just to use a coupon. One thing I always do and that is to check the receipt before we leave the store. I'd bet half the time there is a screw-up and always in the stores favor. A lot of the sales items never get in their computers so the scanning doesn't pick that up. Got to watch 'em!
Old 06-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

For over a quarter-century, my spouse and I have done the grocery shopping together-- as much as possible.

It's never been "my job" or "her job" because of our similar backgrounds, and we look at it as quality together time. If she wants to try a different food then we can have the discussion right there. If I find a huge bargain on toilet paper then I don't have to risk buying the "wrong" kind.

Better than both of us grocery shopping, however, is NEITHER of us. When our daughter got her driver's license, part of her price of vehicular freedom was doing the grocery shopping. It had a side effect of teaching her to keep an eye out for coupons & bargains (profit sharing) and to learn how much stuff costs.

Quote:
Now retired, he still makes up the lists, clips coupons, paces outside the store door until they open it, and races around the store as if trying to win first prize in a grocery hunt. I always thought this was unusual male behavior (especially since I do all the cooking) but apparently it isn't?
A scavenger hunt with extra points for speed, right?

That's perfectly normal guy shopping, and grocery stores are one of the few places laid out to make it easier for guy shopping. (Paco Underhill's "Why We Buy".) Of course one of the reasons that grocery stores look so good by comparison is because most malls and department stores have bad layouts. I'd prefer all my shopping to look like Home Depot or Costco.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

My SO enjoys shopping so he does a lot of it . I do most of the cooking so I also shop for any ingredients I may need . It all works out .
Old 06-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #16

Quote:
This is bad?

Most of the time I do it, partly because I'm better at sticking to a list than she is, and partly out of habit formed when we were first married and I was off on weekdays.

And going shopping with her can be somewhat frustrating since she'll go wandering off somewhere. After I'm finished hunting down the prey shopping don't know if she's going to show up with some last-minute extras.

And don't let her near the aisle with chocolate in it.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #17
Administrator

We almost always go grocery shopping together on Sundays after church. The young wife plans the menu for the week ahead, clips coupons and makes up the grocery list. I supplement the list as necessary. We usually buy only what is on the list.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:38 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

That's 3 of the 4 food groups right there...all that's missing is ice cream

Quote:
Old 06-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

In our house it is probably 75% me (the man), 20% us and 5% DW. The me trips are the bargain hunting or weekly staples trips. I scan the sales papers and figure out if I am visiting 1 store or 2 stores that week to get bargains and staples. Then every few weeks we make a (usually) joint wal-mart trip to get cheaper non-food household items (toiletries, paper products, baby stuff etc). Then very infrequently DW will go shopping by herself (usually walmart) to pick up a prescription or buy a gift for a b-day (now that I type this I realize that isn't really a "grocery" shopping trip, although she might grab whatever is on the list).

In our household, I think we do a good job of splitting up tasks according to who is best at it. Grocery shopping is one I am good at because I can remember prices for everything, quickly calculate unit costs, and know who has what cheap and whether something is a true good deal or just glitzy marketing. I don't do coupons usually because most of what we buy is store brand or fresh (fruits/vegs/meats/milk/eggs). Occasionally I'll take advantage of the supermarket's super sales where you can game their sales to get extremely cheap or almost free food items. Like the yogurt they paid you $0.04 each to take off their hands (I took hundreds of containers off their hands!). Or the $0.09 frozen burritos I bought by the carton. DW just doesn't feel like spending the time to figure out and execute on these deals.

In health terms, I probably buy slightly healthier stuff since DW would get more convenience foods (canned or frozen) to feed the kids. She also just grabs stuff and doesn't spend as much time looking at price.

Apparently I am not unique. I know many other dads (or childless fathers) who like shopping and cooking (or at least getting good stuff to eat).
Old 06-16-2012, 12:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI
And sardines in mustard sauce. Must be a guy thing.

Tags
grocery shopping, hunting, men, women