Who doesn't read/watch the news?

Avoiding news altogether is not the answer, an informed electorate is necessary. It’s still important to keep current and seek out ALL sides of issues, but it’s harder than ever to sort the wheat from the (avalanche of) “news” chaff IME. I wish I knew how it would get better, but I don’t see how yet...
And what percentage of the voters are doing that? The ones regularly watching the news? I don't think they are being informed. They are just catching fluff, spin, scandals and sensationalized stuff. And seeing uninformative political ads. Unless you dig past the broadcast/cable cr*p you won't be informed. I think very few US consumers of news do that.

Of course the newscasters tell the viewers they are being informed. The viewers probably believe it and that no more digging is necessary.

Last edited:
I was also looking to the Christian Science Monitor - their articles seemed to avoid the "OMG!" factor, and were generally of pretty good quality. But because of that (I'm guessing), they rarely seem to pop up in news feeds.

-ERD50

I like the CSM a lot. One of the reasons you don't see the stories posted widely may be that the paper's staff doesn't promote their stories with tweets, facebook posts, etc. That's become a pretty common tactic with other news organizations.

Haven’t watched the news on tv since the spring of 2016. If it’s important, people will talk about and I’ll research it through media I trust. My philosophy is, if all a news source did was bring you the news on exactly what happened, they’d go out of business. It would be too expensive and boring. A news directors job is simple, “Keep them coming back for more.”

I used to be a news junkie.
I still love seeing some stories, mainly the Steve Hartman stories that show a tiny bit of the good in the world.
For the most part, I have given up news and replaced it with Elder Scrolls Online ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom