Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-04-2018, 01:28 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/att-...-on-streaming/

Forced cord cutting is coming..if you are DirecTV. Ending their satellite service in 2022.

We pay about $60 less per month. It isn't a huge amount. It could be less. The simplicity and experience on Fire TV is a big bonus. No more clunky cable boxes, cat6 cables running to and fro. SD and HD versions of channels. Extra box fees. DVR fees.

It is a much cleaner experience even if your price doesn't go down that much.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2018, 01:53 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post

However, for those who want access to some traditional live TV and maybe can't get OTA, I think the "point" is that it can be significantly cheaper. But I think the cost gap is shrinking. I pay $113/mo for internet, PSV, and Netflix. Our local cable provider offers a triple play for $89/mo (1st year price). But I'd still buy Netflix. And with STB rentals, the total would be around $120-125. So at $113 for my streaming setup, the savings are minimal. Now if I was coming off a bloated package, with a bunch of channels I didn't care about, no intro-pricing, and a house-full of STBs, paying $225/mo, then the $113 looks pretty good. But I think the true apples-to-apples comparison on price is not as compelling as it once was.
This!
Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:58 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Love those British/Australian crime dramas. Grantchester, Endeavour, George Gently, Hinterland, Shetland, DCI Banks, etc. Have recorded them using my Tablo off of OTA PBS. Looks like Britbox and Acorn have much more of this content than Prime or Netflix. Anyone used Acorn or Britbox and care to opine on additional content in this genre?

(not stealing this thread as OP asked about what streaming services people use)
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Too much to learn
Old 12-04-2018, 02:50 PM   #24
Gone but not forgotten

Too much to learn

That said, we'll eventually depart DirectV...
There's a lot to learn for us old folks...
We have ROKU, NetFlix, Firestick and just about everything that's available.. as well as using Vonage, so we're paying a pretty penny. Also Amazon Alexa in every room.

That said... it has to do with three different TV's, in different rooms, a lot of remotes... and a DEAR WIFE who is addicted to her Hallmark TV series. (also isn't too much into using different remotes).

I watch 12 different news channels live, and like to skip around.

The saving grace is that this has become the major entertainment source in our dotage, so the expense factor is well within our frugal budget.

Tech is moving too fast for this old codger.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:05 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post
Love those British/Australian crime dramas. Grantchester, Endeavour, George Gently, Hinterland, Shetland, DCI Banks, etc. Have recorded them using my Tablo off of OTA PBS. Looks like Britbox and Acorn have much more of this content than Prime or Netflix. Anyone used Acorn or Britbox and care to opine on additional content in this genre?

Vera's new season will be on Britbox if it's not already (we don't have BB at the moment but I know we will get it--I so love that show). We just watched DCI Banks's five seasons on Acorn.

People in England laughed that we love British TV; they said it's just because we traditionally have seen the cream of the crop; they said they have plenty of lame shows too but they don't get picked up by Masterpiece Theater.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:24 PM   #26

My observation is that if you are trying to replicate the cable TV experience with cord cutting, you ultimately won't be very happy. Some of the over the top streaming services, like Direct TV, do replicate much of the cable experience, but (1) not exactly and (2) the price isn't all the different in many ways and seems to be increasing.

To me, one gets the most benefit of cord cutting if you are willing to change your habits and go with some of the cheap and different kind of products.

Personally, we combine over the air (OTA) with TiVo DVR combined with a couple of streaming services. Our OTA setup had a fixed price to install, but doesn't cost us anything on a monthly basis. We like that a lot! We also use Amazon Prime, which we would buy regardless of using the streaming, along with Netflix.

So our monthly out of pocket is very low and we have more TV than we can watch. The downside is that we spend more time researching what shows we want to watch on Amazon and Netflix. We also don't watch standard cable faire such as sports or national news networks. We gave up stuff like HGTV and Travel channel which used to be our default filler TV. No loss to us really.

My DF tried switching to DirectTV to save money, but ultimately went back to Dish because he just wasn't happy with the changes (also his GF was unhappy - probably the real reason he went back to Dish).
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Who has cut the cord ???
Old 12-04-2018, 03:35 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Who has cut the cord ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Personally, we combine over the air (OTA) with TiVo DVR combined with a couple of streaming services. Our OTA setup had a fixed price to install, but doesn't cost us anything on a monthly basis. We like that a lot! We also use Amazon Prime, which we would buy regardless of using the streaming, along with Netflix.

This is a great solution IF you have strong OTA reception, which isn’t the case for everyone.

If I knew how to measure actual usage of the content sources used at my home, like iOS’ “Screen Time”, OTA PBS would win, hands down. That makes me wonder which streaming service I currently subscribe to would be first to get the axe.

[ADDED] The overall trend towards cutting the cable TV cord is great for the wallet. The next step is optimizing the add-ons you buy to match your preferences and use. I probably have too many right now but the luxury of choice is nice.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:46 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

My current setup (w/approx monthly amount):

TV (free, one time purchases)- OTA antenna, Magnavox OTA DVR/DVD recorder/player

Stream ($10) - Amazon Prime (also Sling TV for baseball playoffs, then drop after season)

Home Phone ($70) - ATT Landline (unlimited local and long distance) -- Yeah, I know.

Mobile ($25)- Consumer Cellular

Internet ($50) - Comcast Internet only (Download speeds up to 25 Mbps)
Old 12-04-2018, 04:19 PM   #29

DW and I are giving serious consideration to cutting the cord.

For television - we bought Roku Express devices, added Locast (among other things), which gives us free streamed OTA broadcasts. I also made an antenna which gives us more channels. We have Amazon Prime, although we often struggle to find things we want to watch on it. We foresee, however, the Roku getting lots of use. We enjoy watching nature-related programming like Planet Earth, and I've found free programming on Roku that fills this need. We never watched much television anyway, and think this will suit our needs. I don't care about sports. When the Olympics happen, we should be able to watch them via Locast.

For phone - we bought an Obi200 and configured it with our Google Voice number.

All this is in "beta testing". If we're happy with our setup, we'll cut the cord. So far, so good.

Edit: Just wanted to add that we estimate our total savings will be approx. $900/yr.
Vincenzo Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:41 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

We have no OTA coming in. Gave up on it anyway because we didn’t care that much for the broadcast content or the ads.

We didn’t try to replicate cable TV either - hated most of the channels and of course the ads. It was a cheery good riddance years ago.

We have been very happy with just Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and PBS for years - great content and almost completely free of commercials. And we only occasionally pick up a channel like Starz or Showtime for a couple months to watch certain series. Watch YouTube occasionally- more for educational videos or music concerts.

For us streaming content seemed like a godsend. We’ve been delighted. Especially watching stuff on our schedule (hallelujah) without needing a recording device (virtual or not), and avoiding ads.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:30 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by albireo13 View Post
... So, who has cut the cord ... and what do you like for streaming services??
We do not have a TV. The town where we migrated to does not have a cable company.

There is no cable, and the OTA reception here is limited to one TV station.

We go online using our phone company landline, and we watch stuff on Netflix.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:41 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgrid Organic Farmer View Post
We do not have a TV. The town where we migrated to does not have a cable company.

There is no cable, and the OTA reception here is limited to one TV station.

We go online using our phone company landline, and we watch stuff on Netflix.
So you use your computer as the TV?
Old 12-05-2018, 11:46 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
So you use your computer as the TV?
yes, my Dw and I each use our laptops to view media.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:33 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post

The reviews I've read online recommended subscribing to Acorn first, watching everything on there that interests you, then unsubscribing from Acorn & moving over to Britbox.

I've only used Acorn briefly, but will re-subscribe after the holidays when I cut cable again.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:43 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

We never had a cord. I can read news (real newspapers and magazines) much faster than someone can read it to me in a video. I can entertain myself with e-books or real books, choosing exactly what I want to read and reading it exactly when I want to read it.

We used to watch a few hours of TV every four years on election night. But last time around we just put down our reading and checked our tablets once in a while. So I guess we're done with tv for that, too.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:40 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
My observation is that if you are trying to replicate the cable TV experience with cord cutting, you ultimately won't be very happy. Some of the over the top streaming services, like Direct TV, do replicate much of the cable experience, but (1) not exactly and (2) the price isn't all the different in many ways and seems to be increasing.
Undoubtedly true for some, but not others.

Going from Dish Network satellite TV to PlayStation Vue has been a drop in for us - DW would never have accepted the change if she’d had to adapt much. She was OK with the change on day 1 and completely happy after 3 days. We didn’t lose anything, number of simultaneous TV’s, DVR and we can now watch on iPhones and iPads while traveling or at home now.

As for price, we went from $96/mo (even after years of aggressive negotiation or it would have been even more) to $45/mo (now $50/mo) or saving $552/yr - different enough in my view.

If your price argument depends on adding internet to stream TV, doesn’t apply to me or many others. We would have internet even if we never watched TV, and we did not have to go to a higher bandwidth/cost internet package. We ARE saving $552/yr and very pleased.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote